1986 photo sold for $3.6M

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 15, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 14, 9:26 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2012-05-14 16:21:35 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >
    > >http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/05/09/jeff-wall-dead-troops-say-3-...

    > There are a few things to consider about this image.
    > First, it is not a photographic work of photo-journalism representing
    > events as they were seen by the photographer. It is a work of art
    > created with much photo-manipulation and staging. From that point of
    > view it seems disingenuous to represent it purely as a photograph. It
    > is a work of art where photography was a tool. It is not a photograph a
    > traditional photographer would produce.
    >
    > It is in fact a digitally manipulated montage produced in 1992, by
    > photographing actors in the studio in individual poses, and then
    > assembled from sections digitally. It is presented as a transparency in
    > a lightbox. Although it appears realistic, it is a work of pure fiction.
    > In 2003 Susan Sontag referred to this image as "the opposite of a
    > document". It is doubtful the outdoor scene was within 4,00 miles of
    > Afghanistan.
    >
    > Secondly it is not an 1986 photo, but an artistic depiction of a
    > non-event. It was produced, in the literal sense, in 1992, with the
    > title, "A Vision after an Ambush of a Red Army Patrol Near Moquor,
    > Afghanistan, Winter 1986".

    Fascinating. A staged photograph is still a photo, But so is the flag
    raising at Iwo Jima, though that did take place on-scene at least and
    represented a real-life action as opposed to a fabrication.

    RichA, May 15, 2012

  3. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 15 May 2012 20:36:27 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    : Problem is, the picture probably didn't represent the true nature of the
    : aftermath of a real ambush in Afghanistan. Did anyone ever read about
    : what the Aghanis did to Russians in those situations? Not pretty.

    As I understand it, the most grisly things they did were to Russians who were
    caught while still alive.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 19, 2012
  4. On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:09:10 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 May 2012 20:36:27 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >: Problem is, the picture probably didn't represent the true nature of the
    >: aftermath of a real ambush in Afghanistan. Did anyone ever read about
    >: what the Aghanis did to Russians in those situations? Not pretty.
    >
    >As I understand it, the most grisly things they did were to Russians who were
    >caught while still alive.

    That goes way back, long before the Russkies.

    RAF pilots in the 30s carried a 'goolie chit' which guaranteed the
    payment of gold coin for the safe return (ungelded) of same.
    Prior to that, the British infantrymen of the 19th Century were shit
    scared of being captured by the Afghanis, preferring a quick bullet
    through the head instead of being left wounded and unable to get out.

    The Afghani tribesmen usually handed the mutilation job over to the
    women of the village.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, May 20, 2012