    Captured Captions; TV listings from the '60s (Sprinkles), Codfather's
    Punny Movies, TV Guise listings, more. Archives too. Please visit:
    http://www.rainy-day-laughter.com - pleiades_fire at hotmailcom
    Joyeux Chanson, May 18, 2004

  2. On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:12:58 -0500, "Joyeux Chanson"
    <> wrote:

    >I know that Scarface (1932) suffered quite a few cuts prior to its
    >release seventy-two years ago, and I'd like to know if the Scarface
    >dvd starring Paul Muni has been restored, with deleted scenes
    >back intact, if anyone has info about this release - thanks.

    Some 16mm TV prints of the 1950s did have a few bits of violence
    spliced out directly from the print, however;
    according to the Breen commission Scarface was a category One film. At
    the time of the adoption of the Breen version of the Hays code in July
    1934 all category one films could no longer be shown or reissued,
    Category two films had cuts made to the negative, often meaning the
    naughty bits would never be seen again. Since Scarface was not shown
    it was therefore not cut, it in fact had not lost any of the PreCode
    scenes. However there was controversy at the time of its 1923 release
    and a new ending was filmed where the lead character would definitely
    and obviously pay for his crimes, one of the most important aspects of
    the fully practised Hays code after 1933. Both the laser and the DVD
    have both the original and Breen endings, there has never been
    anything cut to be "restored" and it remains one of the most intense
    PreCode films. .

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), May 18, 2004

    : <> wrote:
    :
[...]

    Thanks Steve - you've settled my dilemma: I'm buying the Scarface dvd
    from '32.

    I wish more dvds would show alternate scenes, but in the older films
    a lot gets lost sometimes, I suppose.

    I was thrilled to see Frankenstein pieced together to its original
    version, but pieced together seems to be the correct term, re the
    scene with the creature and the little girl. I noticed that the film
    briefly changes at that point, becomes darker and a little less
    distinct. I assume the drowning scene was taken from another
    print which had suffered a little more aging than the rest of the
    film.

    --
    *Carol* ~ ~ ~ Visit my humor & parody website, updated Fridays.
    Week of 5/14: Rainyscope's guest astrologer is Agent Fox Mulder;
    Joyeux Chanson, May 20, 2004