19" LCD monitor recommendations wtd.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by El Chippy, May 11, 2007.

  1. El Chippy

    El Chippy Guest

    My trusty old 17" Mitsi monitor has been giving signs it's on the way out,
    so i'm about to invest in a 19" LCD. Anyone that can recommend a good
    cheapish (<$400) brand/model feel free to post.

    Also anyone that can advise me of any rubbish brands/models out there that
    would be most welcome too.

    PC is used for CAD, Graphical work (retouching photos etc.),a few games,
    and mostly report writing/web surfing.

    Reasonable colour rendition is important for the photographic stuff, apart
    from that i dont have any hard and fast requirements. USB/headphone ports
    and not completely pathetic speakers would also be nice.

    TIA
     
    El Chippy, May 11, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. El Chippy

    Ken Guest

    On 11 May 2007 23:04:50 +1300, El Chippy <> wrote:

    >My trusty old 17" Mitsi monitor has been giving signs it's on the way out,
    >so i'm about to invest in a 19" LCD. Anyone that can recommend a good
    >cheapish (<$400) brand/model feel free to post.
    >
    >Also anyone that can advise me of any rubbish brands/models out there that
    >would be most welcome too.
    >
    >PC is used for CAD, Graphical work (retouching photos etc.),a few games,
    >and mostly report writing/web surfing.
    >
    >Reasonable colour rendition is important for the photographic stuff, apart
    >from that i dont have any hard and fast requirements. USB/headphone ports
    >and not completely pathetic speakers would also be nice.
    >
    >TIA




    Look how many colours it quotes, if its 16.2 Mil its not a true 16 mil monitor ONLY 262K, a Real
    16 mil one states 16.7 Mil colors..

    They cheat by pixel switching, dithering its called.

    You will not get a good one for Photo work at the price you quote..


    http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/display/20051013034411.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/19inch-4.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/19inch-5.html


    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/response-4.html


    http://www.xbitlabs.com/search?query=lcd monitors&logic=exact&sort=relev&page=1
     
    Ken , May 12, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. El Chippy

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    news:46444dd2$...
    > My trusty old 17" Mitsi monitor has been giving signs it's on the way out,
    > so i'm about to invest in a 19" LCD. Anyone that can recommend a good
    > cheapish (<$400) brand/model feel free to post.
    >
    > Also anyone that can advise me of any rubbish brands/models out there that
    > would be most welcome too.
    >
    > PC is used for CAD, Graphical work (retouching photos etc.),a few games,
    > and mostly report writing/web surfing.
    >
    > Reasonable colour rendition is important for the photographic stuff, apart
    > from that i dont have any hard and fast requirements. USB/headphone ports
    > and not completely pathetic speakers would also be nice.
    >


    The latest NZpcworld has a roundup?
     
    Craig Sutton, May 12, 2007
    #3
  4. El Chippy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    El Chippy <> wrote in
    news:46444dd2$:

    >
    > My trusty old 17" Mitsi monitor has been giving signs it's on the way
    > out, so i'm about to invest in a 19" LCD. Anyone that can recommend a
    > good cheapish (<$400) brand/model feel free to post.


    I have a Viewsonic VA 905
    I am happy, it has cheap speakers I don't use.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, May 13, 2007
    #4
  5. El Chippy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 11:42:07 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > El Chippy <> wrote in
    > news:46444dd2$:
    >
    >>
    >> My trusty old 17" Mitsi monitor has been giving signs it's on the way
    >> out, so i'm about to invest in a 19" LCD. Anyone that can recommend a
    >> good cheapish (<$400) brand/model feel free to post.

    >
    > I have a Viewsonic VA 905
    > I am happy, it has cheap speakers I don't use.
    >


    Thanks to all for the feedback.
    In the end I decided to go for a 20"
    screen as the MVA panels aren't really available in 19" and I wanted
    better colour fidelity than the TN panels offer. Then I discovered my
    Radeon 9600 wont run it so the plan is on hold till I replace my PC. I
    guess if the mitsi does die in the meantine i'll grab the cheapest 17" I
    can find and use it as a second monitor when i upgrade.

    El Chippy
     
    El Chippy, May 13, 2007
    #5
  6. El Chippy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 May 2007 11:42:07 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> El Chippy <> wrote in
    >> news:46444dd2$:
    >>
    >>> My trusty old 17" Mitsi monitor has been giving signs it's on the way
    >>> out, so i'm about to invest in a 19" LCD. Anyone that can recommend a
    >>> good cheapish (<$400) brand/model feel free to post.

    >> I have a Viewsonic VA 905
    >> I am happy, it has cheap speakers I don't use.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks to all for the feedback.
    > In the end I decided to go for a 20"
    > screen as the MVA panels aren't really available in 19" and I wanted
    > better colour fidelity than the TN panels offer. Then I discovered my
    > Radeon 9600 wont run it


    Why not?
     
    -=rjh=-, May 13, 2007
    #6
  7. El Chippy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:43:15 +1200, Rhino wrote:

    > On 13 May 2007 13:15:45 +1300, El Chippy
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks to all for the feedback.
    >>In the end I decided to go for a 20"
    >>screen as the MVA panels aren't really available in 19" and I wanted
    >>better colour fidelity than the TN panels offer. Then I discovered my
    >>Radeon 9600 wont run it so the plan is on hold till I replace my PC. I
    >>guess if the mitsi does die in the meantine i'll grab the cheapest 17" I
    >>can find and use it as a second monitor when i upgrade.
    >>
    >>El Chippy

    > That seems strange. I run an Acer AL1916W from the DVI output of my
    > Radeon 9600 without any problems. What resolution where you trying to
    > use?
    >
    > Cheers, Rhino


    Native res of the vx2025 is 1680x1050. also a little concerned about being
    able to force it to display some games at 800x600 without streching to
    16:10 aspect. 1680x1050 isn't listed in the ATI driver official supported
    sizes.
     
    El Chippy, May 13, 2007
    #7
  8. El Chippy

    Rhino Guest

    On 13 May 2007 13:15:45 +1300, El Chippy
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks to all for the feedback.
    >In the end I decided to go for a 20"
    >screen as the MVA panels aren't really available in 19" and I wanted
    >better colour fidelity than the TN panels offer. Then I discovered my
    >Radeon 9600 wont run it so the plan is on hold till I replace my PC. I
    >guess if the mitsi does die in the meantine i'll grab the cheapest 17" I
    >can find and use it as a second monitor when i upgrade.
    >
    >El Chippy

    That seems strange. I run an Acer AL1916W from the DVI output of my
    Radeon 9600 without any problems. What resolution where you trying to
    use?

    Cheers, Rhino
     
    Rhino, May 13, 2007
    #8
  9. El Chippy

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 18:41:47 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:

    > On 13 May 2007 17:35:16 +1300, El Chippy <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:43:15 +1200, Rhino wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 13 May 2007 13:15:45 +1300, El Chippy
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Thanks to all for the feedback.
    >>>>In the end I decided to go for a 20"
    >>>>screen as the MVA panels aren't really available in 19" and I wanted
    >>>>better colour fidelity than the TN panels offer. Then I discovered my
    >>>>Radeon 9600 wont run it so the plan is on hold till I replace my PC. I
    >>>>guess if the mitsi does die in the meantine i'll grab the cheapest 17" I
    >>>>can find and use it as a second monitor when i upgrade.
    >>>>
    >>>>El Chippy
    >>> That seems strange. I run an Acer AL1916W from the DVI output of my
    >>> Radeon 9600 without any problems. What resolution where you trying to
    >>> use?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers, Rhino

    >>
    >>Native res of the vx2025 is 1680x1050. also a little concerned about being
    >>able to force it to display some games at 800x600 without streching to
    >>16:10 aspect. 1680x1050 isn't listed in the ATI driver official supported
    >>sizes.

    >
    >
    >
    > The Viewsonic vx2025 is a discontinued product here.


    But still available.


    >
    > http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/lcd/
    >
    > Viewsonic do not specify the Number of Colours, so it must be a dithered 262 K colour display,
    > utter Crap in monitors reviews using this method.


    Its an MVA panel, so will be 16.7Million colours.
    >
    >
    > Plus get bad reviews.


    And very good reviews too. opinions are like a**holes..
    >

    4.5 stars on amazon...
    behardware.com says:
    "If we want a classification that doesn’t take into account our
    budget, here’s the list:
    ViewSonic VP2030b > ViewSonic VX2025wm > Nec 20WGX² > Belinea 10 20 30W /
    10 20 35W"
     
    El Chippy, May 13, 2007
    #9
  10. El Chippy

    Richard Guest

    El Chippy wrote:

    > Native res of the vx2025 is 1680x1050. also a little concerned about being
    > able to force it to display some games at 800x600 without streching to
    > 16:10 aspect. 1680x1050 isn't listed in the ATI driver official supported
    > sizes.


    It wont show the native res until the panel is connected to it.
     
    Richard, May 13, 2007
    #10
  11. El Chippy

    Ken Guest

    On 13 May 2007 17:35:16 +1300, El Chippy <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:43:15 +1200, Rhino wrote:
    >
    >> On 13 May 2007 13:15:45 +1300, El Chippy
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks to all for the feedback.
    >>>In the end I decided to go for a 20"
    >>>screen as the MVA panels aren't really available in 19" and I wanted
    >>>better colour fidelity than the TN panels offer. Then I discovered my
    >>>Radeon 9600 wont run it so the plan is on hold till I replace my PC. I
    >>>guess if the mitsi does die in the meantine i'll grab the cheapest 17" I
    >>>can find and use it as a second monitor when i upgrade.
    >>>
    >>>El Chippy

    >> That seems strange. I run an Acer AL1916W from the DVI output of my
    >> Radeon 9600 without any problems. What resolution where you trying to
    >> use?
    >>
    >> Cheers, Rhino

    >
    >Native res of the vx2025 is 1680x1050. also a little concerned about being
    >able to force it to display some games at 800x600 without streching to
    >16:10 aspect. 1680x1050 isn't listed in the ATI driver official supported
    >sizes.




    The Viewsonic vx2025 is a discontinued product here.

    http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/lcd/

    Viewsonic do not specify the Number of Colours, so it must be a dithered 262 K colour display,
    utter Crap in monitors reviews using this method.


    Plus get bad reviews.


    A fool born every minute.
     
    Ken , May 13, 2007
    #11
  12. On 13 May 2007 17:35:16 +1300, El Chippy wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:43:15 +1200, Rhino wrote:
    >
    >> On 13 May 2007 13:15:45 +1300, El Chippy
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks to all for the feedback.
    >>>In the end I decided to go for a 20"
    >>>screen as the MVA panels aren't really available in 19" and I wanted
    >>>better colour fidelity than the TN panels offer. Then I discovered my
    >>>Radeon 9600 wont run it so the plan is on hold till I replace my PC. I
    >>>guess if the mitsi does die in the meantine i'll grab the cheapest 17" I
    >>>can find and use it as a second monitor when i upgrade.
    >>>
    >>>El Chippy

    >> That seems strange. I run an Acer AL1916W from the DVI output of my
    >> Radeon 9600 without any problems. What resolution where you trying to
    >> use?
    >>
    >> Cheers, Rhino

    >
    > Native res of the vx2025 is 1680x1050. also a little concerned about being
    > able to force it to display some games at 800x600 without streching to
    > 16:10 aspect. 1680x1050 isn't listed in the ATI driver official supported
    > sizes.


    A quick check on a few sites came up with a few possible options you could
    try (unless you're looking for an excuse to upgrade your graphics card);

    Try setting it up in the Catalyst Control Center, or;
    give ATI driver 8.33.0.0 (12/16/06) a go
    http://www.futurehardware.in/568975.htm

    or alternatively, the Omega Drivers
    http://www.omegadrivers.net./ati/win2k_xp.php
     
    Abstract Reasoning, May 13, 2007
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Steve Gontarek

    WTD: LCD for digital camera (olympus)

    Steve Gontarek, Apr 21, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    404
    Steve Gontarek
    Apr 21, 2004
  2. John
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    702
  3. TEX
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    752
    Uncle StoatWarbler
    Mar 3, 2004
  4. Rick
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    526
    dadiOH
    Feb 11, 2008
  5. Squiggle
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    332
Loading...

Share This Page