19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apart PCsusing Windows OS

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Sham Yemul, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Sham Yemul

    Sham Yemul Guest

    Hello ,

    I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.

    I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.

    I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
    solution that is low cost.
    I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.

    Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I
    will need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to
    be higher than my budget.

    Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.

    We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
    which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
    road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be seen
    of each other building.

    Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.

    Regards
    [Sham]

    Sham Yemul, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Sham Yemul

    DLink Guru Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apart PCs using Windows OS

    Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
    Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.

    Total Cost: $436.00

    That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
    transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will be
    easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
    hassle.

    Robert...

    DLink Guru, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Sham Yemul

    Jack Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apart PCs using Windows OS

    Hi

    I might add that you need a totally clear line of sight between the two
    Antennae.

    Do not use long Coax, put the APs near the Antennae and run CAT5e to connect
    the APs to the Network.

    While the choice of APs and the cost looks reasonable.

    The Antennae cost can probably be cut into half and still get good result.

    Example as a frame of reference:
    http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-flat-panel.php

    Basic Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Sham Yemul

    Sham Yemul Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apartPCs using Windows OS

    Thank you for quick reply.

    1. Do I need RF Cable to connect the Antenna and Access/Point or PC if
    so can you tell me what can be price (approximately) ?
    2. I suppose I need to put the Antenna's at top of buildings, so I will
    have to put some cable from my PC to Antena ?
    3. can you clarify me, why for we need Access Point ? I mean what is the
    role of Antena and Access Point ?

    4. Do you know I can get these parts in India , my country ? or you know
    who can supply at reasonable prices to my destination in India.

    5. Do I need to take permission of Police Commissioner or
    Telephone(which is owned by Govt) department ?

    Thanks for the patience.

    Regards
    [Sham]

    Sham Yemul, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Sham Yemul

    DLink Guru Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apart PCs using Windows OS

    Yeah, that is a real good price. I might buy a few of those myself. Make
    sure you go for the 19db versions though......

    Robert...

    DLink Guru, Feb 19, 2005
  6. Sham Yemul

    DLink Guru Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apart PCs using Windows OS

    But on further inspection, the cable and connector combination you would
    need will add atleast another $50.00 per cable to the price. So the price
    difference really is not that much...

    Robert....

    DLink Guru, Feb 19, 2005
  7. Sham Yemul

    DLink Guru Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apart PCs using Windows OS

    The access point is used to bridge the two LANs together, making them look
    like one network. The Antennas are need to direct a strong enough signal
    from building to building to make the connection.

    Yes you will have to put the antennas on the roof of the building and yes
    you will have to use RF cable to go from the Access point to the antenna. I
    would suggest putting the access pint on the floor closest to the roof so
    your cabling is easier and less expensive.

    Im very sure you can purchase these products In India, although they might
    not be these exact models as Europe and Asian Models usually work of a
    different power and channel scheme.

    As for the police, I cant imagine them caring if you do this, but I have no
    ideas of the laws in your country.

    Robert....

    DLink Guru, Feb 19, 2005
  8. Sham Yemul

    Sham Yemul Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apartPCs using Windows OS

    Hello Sir,

    Thanks for the information, I got a new query related to this issue.

    I enquired with my local hardware supplier, he stated all accessories
    you mentioned but different model no.s . But he also told that I need 2
    wireless Lan Cards so as to get Access point and computer connected ?
    This will again increase cost, anyway that I can use signals from Access
    point to my computer with less cost ?

    Regards
    [Sham]

    Sham Yemul, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Sham Yemul

    DLink Guru Guest

    Re: 19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) apart PCs using Windows OS

    Hi, you will not need any wireless adapters (Clients) for your network. This
    is what it will look like.

    LAN#1 Computers-->HUB/SWITCH/ROUTER#1-->AP#1&Antenna{
    AIR }Antenna&AP#2<--HUB/SWITCH/ROUTER#2<--LAN#2 Computers

    You will then setup your APs for Bridging your two LANS. You would set
    Router #1 DHCP to use something like IP addresses 192.168.0.10 to
    192.168.0.99 and Router #2 to use like 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200. Both
    networks should use Subnet 255.255.255.0. You would also have to make sure
    your routers have different IPs assigned to them, if you use the same models
    they will come set to the same default IP, usually something like
    192.168.0.1. So set one of them to 192.168.0.2 and you should have no
    problem.

    When this is all setup and you enable file and printer sharing on all
    computers you should have everything working, and if one LAN has a Internet
    connection, it would be shared between the tow LANs.......

    Robert.....

    DLink Guru, Mar 2, 2005