  1. Are there any other 18x optical digital zoom cameras on the market other
    than the Olympus SP550UZ?

    JB

    Jackson Bryan, Apr 27, 2007

  2. Jackson Bryan

    harlen Guest

    "Jackson Bryan" <> wrote in message
    news:f0rfrv$8i9$...
    > Are there any other 18x optical digital zoom cameras on the market other
    > than the Olympus SP550UZ?
    >
    > JB

    With 18x optical zoom, the camera really should have IS or you'll end up
    carrying a tripod.

    harlen, Apr 27, 2007

  3. Jackson Bryan

    Spam THis Guest

    harlen wrote:
    > "Jackson Bryan" <> wrote in message
    >> Are there any other 18x optical digital zoom cameras on the market other
    >> than the Olympus SP550UZ?
    >>
    >> JB

    > With 18x optical zoom, the camera really should have IS or you'll end up
    > carrying a tripod.

    When is the misleading information going to end?

    The Olympus SP 550 UZ only has 10X magnification, with a 18:1 zoom ratio.

    Spam THis, Apr 27, 2007
  4. Jackson Bryan

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <46315e72$0$13619$>, Spam THis
    <dev/null> says...

    > The Olympus SP 550 UZ only has 10X magnification, with a 18:1 zoom ratio.

    Who cares about magnification. The zoom is 18x. Besides, who would buy a
    camera whose widest zoom is 50mm ???
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 27, 2007
  5. Jackson Bryan

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:29:50 -0400, Spam THis wrote:

    >> With 18x optical zoom, the camera really should have IS or you'll end up
    >> carrying a tripod.
    >>

    > When is the misleading information going to end?
    >
    > The Olympus SP 550 UZ only has 10X magnification, with a 18:1 zoom ratio.

    It may end if you stop posting. :) Saying that it has only 10x
    magnification is nonsense. If you read all of the previous posts
    carefully you'll note that magnification wasn't even mentioned, only
    that the SP550UZ has an 18x optical zoom. With its 28mm - 504mm
    focal length range you have a lens whose zoom range is exactly 18x.

    Your personal "normal" base of 50mm isn't even generally agreed
    upon. Many photographers consider a normal lens to be a bit wider,
    somewhere in the 40mm to 45mm range. Using 40mm would change your
    assessment of the SP550UZ's magnification from 10x to 12.6x. For
    Olympus (or any manufacturer) to make an 18x lens that you'd accept
    it would have to be 50mm - 900mm, a real beast, and much less
    desirable for most photographers than 28mm to 504mm which adds a
    very useful wide angle capability.

    BTW, for the OP . . . Although it's only 15x and has a few
    shortcomings, Samsung's Pro815 is probably a much more capable
    camera, also goes down to 28mm on the wide end of the zoom range,
    (28mm-420mm) and has dropped enough in price to be selling for about
    the same amount as the SP550UZ. The Pro815's sensor is much larger
    than the 550's (good) but the camera is also much larger (bad). :)

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungpro815/

    ASAAR, Apr 27, 2007
  6. Jackson Bryan wrote:
    > Are there any other 18x optical digital zoom cameras on the market
    > other than the Olympus SP550UZ?
    >
    > JB

    JB, What are you looking for? Do you want more telephoto or do you want
    more wide angle?

    Note: the digital part of a camera's zoom can be duplicated with far
    more flexibility in a computer using software than it can be in the camera.
    In fact you can digitally zoom far more after the exposure in the computer
    using a camera without any digital zoom than you can with any camera with
    digital zoom. I would suggest ignoring the digital part of any camera's
    zoom.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 27, 2007
  7. >With 18x optical zoom, the camera really should have IS or you'll end up
    >carrying a tripod.

    In my experience, you can make up for lack of a tripod by bracing the
    camera against any hard immobile object. I used to do this a lot to
    take 1 second night shots, and that was before digital viewfinders
    made it easier to frame the picture.

    -Joel

    Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Apr 27, 2007
  8. On Apr 26, 7:24 pm, "Jackson Bryan" <> wrote:
    > Are there any other 18x optical digital zoom cameras on the market other
    > than the Olympus SP550UZ?
    >
    > JB

    Don't know of any. But what I really want to comment on is the
    arguments about the term "magnification". In optical terminology the
    term magnification means the size of the image compared to the size of
    the object. Unless you are doing macro work, the image is always much
    SMALLER than the object. That is, the magnification is MUCH LESS THAN
    ONE (unity). An 18X magnification would not even be macro
    photography, it would be microscope photography! You are getting good
    if you even get a 1.0 magnification (my macro lens set does not get
    this far).

    As others point out, the (N)X stands for the ratio of the longest
    focal length to the shortest focal length. Because of the different
    sizes of image formats in digital camera, the actual focal length is
    not the best measure of the telephoto effect. Field angle would be
    better, but most of us are not really familiar with this angle in
    photography. I think the 35mm equivalent focal length is probably the
    best and most familiar method of looking at the actual effect of a
    telephoto/zoom lens.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Apr 27, 2007