    why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and i have an
    account. ??

    Chris

    Chris, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Chris

    Jono Guest

    Chris wrote:
    || why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and i have an
    || account. ??
    || Chris

    Erm..........to fund their operation?

    Jono, Nov 12, 2005

  3. Chris

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Chris wrote:
    > > > why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and
    > > > i have an account. ??
    > > >

    > > > Chris

    > Erm..........to fund their operation?

    Sipgate don't seem to need a deposit if you don't want to call PSTN
    numbers.

    I have a spare account here which has never had any credit added and it
    works fine for VoIP calls and calls to 0800 numbers. Incoming from PSTN as
    well. I don't use it much, only if I want to test something and need a
    spare number, but it's very handy when I do use it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Chris

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    || "Jono" <> wrote in message
    ||| Erm..........to fund their operation?
    || Sipgate don't seem to need a deposit if you don't want to call PSTN
    || numbers.
    || I have a spare account here which has never had any credit added and it
    || works fine for VoIP calls and calls to 0800 numbers. Incoming from
    || PSTN as well. I don't use it much, only if I want to test something
    || and need a spare number, but it's very handy when I do use it.
    || Ivor

    Snap, however, I'm sure that whichever company wants a "deposit" it is top
    up their coffers.

    Jono, Nov 12, 2005
  5. Chris

    wooosh Guest

    > Snap, however, I'm sure that whichever company wants a "deposit" it is top
    > up their coffers.

    Well, if you look at what VoIPbuster did (same company).

    They offered free calls and required all acounts to be in credit for this.

    After building up a large userbase they then started charging for UK calls.

    It is anyones guess what the credit in all these accounts add up to.

    so, think of it this way... you pay £5 which gives you calls until they
    start charging, then you use your credit up.

    Sneaky but smart business model.

    wooosh, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Chris

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "wooosh" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > so, think of it this way... you pay £5 which gives you
    > calls until they start charging, then you use your credit
    > up.
    > Sneaky but smart business model.

    And then they lose all their customers. Not so smart.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Chris

    Julius Guest

    > why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and i have an
    > account. ??

    Nothing is ever FREE, someone somewhere is paying for this 'test
    period'

    I don't see any refund mechanism, so you'll either have to use your
    credit once 'free' calls end or loose it

    I guess the idea is for you to use their service (test it in the
    beginning) and at the end of the 'free' period, hopefully you'll remain
    as a loyal customer

    I have no complaints about this, it is nice while it lasts, then I also
    have no problem continuing to use their service to use my credit or
    indeed top it up, the service quality and reliability seem very good
    indeed

    The only confusion (not to them apparently) is the many business models
    they've introduced, Voipbuster, Sipdiscount, Voipcheap, if they could
    keep one product which allows softphone or hardware VOIP, it would be
    much easier for everyone :)

    Julius

    Julius, Nov 14, 2005
  8. Chris

    Brian A Guest

    On 14 Nov 2005 14:18:35 -0800, "Julius" <> wrote:

    >> why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and i have an
    >> account. ??

    >Nothing is ever FREE, someone somewhere is paying for this 'test
    >period'
    >
    >I don't see any refund mechanism, so you'll either have to use your
    >credit once 'free' calls end or loose it
    >
    >I guess the idea is for you to use their service (test it in the
    >beginning) and at the end of the 'free' period, hopefully you'll remain
    >as a loyal customer
    >
    >I have no complaints about this, it is nice while it lasts, then I also
    >have no problem continuing to use their service to use my credit or
    >indeed top it up, the service quality and reliability seem very good
    >indeed
    >
    >The only confusion (not to them apparently) is the many business models
    >they've introduced, Voipbuster, Sipdiscount, Voipcheap, if they could
    >keep one product which allows softphone or hardware VOIP, it would be
    >much easier for everyone :)
    >
    >Julius

    If they offered a sip service, with an incoming number (could make a
    small charge for a geographic if necessary), with free/minute UK
    calls and a connection charge (say 4cents) it would be a winner. It
    seems strange that they haven't tried that one yet. It obviously works
    for them on a BT line so why not on voip?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Chris

    Stickems. Guest