18866 VOIP, is it still working and how?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    A couple of months ago, I tried 18866 VOIP, but since then I have wiped the
    computer and can't remember how to connect to 18866 VOIP using my username
    and password etc. I downloaded VOIPBuster software yesterday and after
    asking about the settings in another newsgroup, I tried again last night to
    make a call using VOIPBuster to 18866. It seems it doesn't work anymore???
    Having googled, there seems to be a suggestion that 18866 are not doing VOIP
    anymore?

    My questions are:

    1. Is 18866 still offering VOIP Calls?
    2. Does the lastest VOIPBuster allow calls to be made to 18866?
    3.Is there a better software option than VOIPBuster for use with 18866?
    4. Which details do I use to log into 18866VOIP via the computer?, do I use
    my phone number as the 'Username' and my 18866 account number as the
    'password' ??

    Thanks very much.
    Dave
    Dave, Jun 10, 2005

    I would go to www.call18866.com and check all this out for yourself.
    The Cable Guy, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Dave

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Fri, 10 Jun 2005, The Cable Guy writes

    >"Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>A couple of months ago, I tried 18866 VOIP, but since then I have wiped the
    >>computer and can't remember how to connect to 18866 VOIP using my username
    >>and password etc. I downloaded VOIPBuster software yesterday and after
    >>asking about the settings in another newsgroup, I tried again last night to
    >>make a call using VOIPBuster to 18866. It seems it doesn't work anymore???
    >>Having googled, there seems to be a suggestion that 18866 are not doing
    >>VOIP anymore?
    >>
    >> My questions are:
    >>
    >> 1. Is 18866 still offering VOIP Calls?
    >> 2. Does the lastest VOIPBuster allow calls to be made to 18866?
    >> 3.Is there a better software option than VOIPBuster for use with 18866?
    >> 4. Which details do I use to log into 18866VOIP via the computer?, do I
    >> use my phone number as the 'Username' and my 18866 account number as the
    >> 'password' ??
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >> Dave
    >>

    >I would go to www.call18866.com and check all this out for yourself.

    That doesn't really help.

    I can still use 18866 for VoIP although they don't now advertise it on
    their web-site. In stead they now link you to VoIPBuster, which is
    different although part of the same group of companies.

    Your questions 2 & 3 don't make sense. 18866 and VoIPBuster are VoIP
    providers using different log-in details.

    I can still use 18866VoIP using SIP Server: 1886601nnnnnnnnn, Password:
    18866 customer number.

    For VoIPBuster you need to download their software to register an
    account with them. You can then use their softphone.

    Others say that you can use an ATA, but I haven't been able to. Some
    others have said that it is only the original beta testers that can use
    a SIP ATA, and newcomers can only use the softphone for the time being.
    For unlimited free calls you need to deposit €1 with them.

    HTH

    David
    David Floyd, Jun 10, 2005
  4. On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:46:34 +0100, "Dave" <>
    wrote:

    >1. Is 18866 still offering VOIP Calls?

    yes
    >2. Does the lastest VOIPBuster allow calls to be made to 18866?

    wtf is voipbuster
    >3.Is there a better software option than VOIPBuster for use with 18866?

    idefisk or iaxcomm
    >4. Which details do I use to log into 18866VOIP via the computer?, do I use
    >my phone number as the 'Username' and my 18866 account number as the
    >'password' ??

    username 1886601cccnnnnnn
    password account number

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:46:34 +0100, "Dave" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>3.Is there a better software option than VOIPBuster for use with 18866?

    > idefisk or iaxcomm

    Phil, I have just installed iaxcomm and was wonder what I use as 'host' when
    setting up 18866 ?

    Thanks
    Dave
    Dave, Jun 10, 2005
  6. On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:16:45 +0100, "Dave" <>
    wrote:

    >Phil, I have just installed iaxcomm and was wonder what I use as 'host' when
    >setting up 18866 ?

    iax.call18866.co.uk

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Dave

    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:16:45 +0100, "Dave" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Phil, I have just installed iaxcomm and was wonder what I use as 'host'
    >>when
    >>setting up 18866 ?

    > iax.call18866.co.uk

    Thanks for that Phil, I have it working now.... : - ) I just made a phone
    call, and the person at the other end said my voice sounded like it was
    being stretched out in places, is this a common thing on VOIP? He said it
    wasn't as perfect as a normal phone call, but he could understand
    everything..... Is there any settings worth playng with inside iaxcomm to
    improve things at all ? Thanks again Phil.

    Dave
    Dave, Jun 10, 2005
  8. I've used idefisk more than iaxcomm, it allows you to select codecs so
    picking a better one may help. It takes up 10 kbytes/s both ways on
    the better quality so make sure you aren't uploading a lot at the
    time.

    Options Preferences Codecs in iaxcomm does the same - select A-law as
    the preferred and disable GSM. There's a load of tuning options for
    speex that I don't claim to understand or use.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jun 10, 2005
  9. Dave

    > I've used idefisk more than iaxcomm, it allows you to select codecs so
    > picking a better one may help. It takes up 10 kbytes/s both ways on
    > the better quality so make sure you aren't uploading a lot at the
    > time.
    >
    > Options Preferences Codecs in iaxcomm does the same - select A-law as
    > the preferred and disable GSM. There's a load of tuning options for
    > speex that I don't claim to understand or use.
    >
    > Phil

    Thanks for that Phil... the A-Law codec gives much better performance here.
    Thats great.. Looks like I've got it sorted with your help... Thanks again.
    Very much appreciated indeed.. Dave
    Dave, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> I've used idefisk more than iaxcomm,

    Just as a matter of interest, where can I download idefisk?

    I tried 'idefisk' in google and it returned no information : - (

    Wouldn't mind giving it a go to see how it compares.

    Thanks
    Dave
    Dave, Jun 10, 2005
  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've used idefisk more than iaxcomm,

    > Just as a matter of interest, where can I download idefisk?
    >
    > I tried 'idefisk' in google and it returned no information : - (
    >
    > Wouldn't mind giving it a go to see how it compares.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    I have found it now.... Thanks anyway Phil...

    For anyone else wondering where it is, I found it here:
    http://www.asteriskguru.com/idefisk_beta.html

    Dave
    Dave, Jun 10, 2005
  12. On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:59:48 +0100, "Dave" <>
    wrote:

    >For anyone else wondering where it is, I found it here:
    >http://www.asteriskguru.com/idefisk_beta.html

    glad you found it, it works with FWD, Voiptalk and 18866 VoIP services
    using IAX protocol.

    I downloaded it because iaxcomm seemed to give an error when I put the
    account details in, though this turned out not to be a problem.

    idefisk has a "log" window in the bottom where you can see the system
    messages passing through, helpful for debugging or learning about
    asterisk etc.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jun 11, 2005
  13. Dave

    Roger V Guest

    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:59:48 +0100, "Dave" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>For anyone else wondering where it is, I found it here:
    >>http://www.asteriskguru.com/idefisk_beta.html

    > glad you found it, it works with FWD, Voiptalk and 18866 VoIP services
    > using IAX protocol.
    >
    > I downloaded it because iaxcomm seemed to give an error when I put the
    > account details in, though this turned out not to be a problem.
    >
    > idefisk has a "log" window in the bottom where you can see the system
    > messages passing through, helpful for debugging or learning about
    > asterisk etc.
    >
    > Phil
    > --
    > spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    > Come on down !

    Phil, whats the bandwidth required for a phonecall using VOIP with A-Law?
    Any idea how much it takes per second? Is it worth trying it with my 150k
    service?

    TIA
    Rog V
    Roger V, Jun 11, 2005
  14. On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:29:40 +0100, "Roger V" <>
    wrote:

    >Phil, whats the bandwidth required for a phonecall using VOIP with A-Law?
    >Any idea how much it takes per second? Is it worth trying it with my 150k
    >service?

    100 kbits/s each way.

    anythings worth trying :)
    just make sure you aren't downloading / uploading at the same time.

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jun 11, 2005
  15. Dave

    Roger V Guest

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:29:40 +0100, "Roger V" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Phil, whats the bandwidth required for a phonecall using VOIP with A-Law?
    >>Any idea how much it takes per second? Is it worth trying it with my 150k
    >>service?

    > 100 kbits/s each way.
    >
    > anythings worth trying :)
    > just make sure you aren't downloading / uploading at the same time.
    >
    > Phil

    Thanks Phil
    Roger V, Jun 11, 2005