1841 or 2821?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Joel, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Joel

    Joel Guest

    We have 2 offices and a collocation facility office A, office B, and
    the colo. Office A has about 300 users and office B has about 400
    users. The colo houses our intranet sites and we route our internet
    traffic from the offices through the colo. The colo currently has a
    Cisco 2620 with a network module for 4 T1s.

    Office A (Cisco 1720) has 2 dedicated point to point T1s (multi-linked)
    to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting
    the office A and office B.

    Office B (Cisco 1841) has 2 point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the
    colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the
    office A and office B.

    At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it
    with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the
    router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2
    ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like
    the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with
    one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.

    I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing
    limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big
    enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Joel

    Joel, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Joel

    Brian V Guest

    "Joel" <> wrote in message
    > We have 2 offices and a collocation facility office A, office B, and
    > the colo. Office A has about 300 users and office B has about 400
    > users. The colo houses our intranet sites and we route our internet
    > traffic from the offices through the colo. The colo currently has a
    > Cisco 2620 with a network module for 4 T1s.
    >
    > Office A (Cisco 1720) has 2 dedicated point to point T1s (multi-linked)
    > to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting
    > the office A and office B.
    >
    > Office B (Cisco 1841) has 2 point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the
    > colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the
    > office A and office B.
    >
    > At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it
    > with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the
    > router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2
    > ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like
    > the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with
    > one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.
    >
    > I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing
    > limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big
    > enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joel

    Maximum throughput on an 1841 is 38.40Mbps, thats with no acls, basically
    nothing running on it shy of IP routing. Should answer your question right
    there.

    Brian V, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Joel

    Joel Guest

    Brian- Do mind telling me where you found this information?
    Everything I've read is different.

    Joel, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Joel

    Brian V Guest

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

    Brian V, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Joel

    stephen Guest

    "Joel" <> wrote in message
    > We have 2 offices and a collocation facility office A, office B, and
    > the colo. Office A has about 300 users and office B has about 400
    > users. The colo houses our intranet sites and we route our internet
    > traffic from the offices through the colo. The colo currently has a
    > Cisco 2620 with a network module for 4 T1s.
    >
    > Office A (Cisco 1720) has 2 dedicated point to point T1s (multi-linked)
    > to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting
    > the office A and office B.
    >
    > Office B (Cisco 1841) has 2 point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the
    > colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the
    > office A and office B.
    >
    > At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it
    > with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the
    > router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2
    > ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like
    > the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with
    > one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.

    why not keep the existing routers for the remaining T1s? it aint broke, so
    dont fix it.

    then if a central router breaks you dont lose both office links....

    > I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing
    > limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big
    > enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?

    Given the bandwidth i would go for a bigger router - maybe a 3825 or 3845?

    Brian gave you the Cisco link for performance numbers - but it is worth
    pointing out these are absolute max numbers.
    Also your 50 Mbps Ethernet is actually 100 Mbps of thruput, since it is a
    full duplex service.

    if you get a 100 Mbps Ethernet, but need to shape to 50 Mbps then this
    actually increases the processing load, so go for a fairly big unit.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Joel

    Joel Guest

    Stephen and Brian, thank you very much for your help.

    Joel

    Joel, Jan 12, 2007