    configured for routing ports?

    Thanks.
    Al
    AXJ, Apr 11, 2007

  2. AXJ wrote:

    >Does anyone know if the 1800 routers' Ethernet switch module ports can be
    >configured for routing ports?

    I'm not sure but I don't think they can. I'm not even sure if they are just
    dumb ports or if this is a manageable switch.

    Another question: do the 1800s have an AUX port?

    Regards

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 12, 2007

  3. AXJ

    Uli Link Guest

    Frank Winkler schrieb:
    > AXJ wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know if the 1800 routers' Ethernet switch module ports can be
    > >configured for routing ports?

    AFAIK: no

    > I'm not sure but I don't think they can. I'm not even sure if they are
    > just dumb ports or if this is a manageable switch.

    It's a manageable L2 switch, dot1q trunks work well.

    > Another question: do the 1800s have an AUX port?

    Yes.

    --
    Uli
    Uli Link, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Uli Link wrote:

    >> I'm not sure but I don't think they can. I'm not even sure if they are
    >> just dumb ports or if this is a manageable switch.

    >It's a manageable L2 switch, dot1q trunks work well.

    Really? Cool! How does the "optional PoE support" work? Is this a matter of
    hardware of just a different IOS image?

    >> Another question: do the 1800s have an AUX port?

    >Yes.

    Great! So I could use it a as "terminal server" :) ... and if the ASA also
    had one, this could work vice versa. The PIX didn't have AUX ports but do
    ASAs have one?

    Regards

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 13, 2007
  5. Frank Winkler <> writes:
    >Uli Link wrote:
    > >It's a manageable L2 switch, dot1q trunks work well.

    >Really? Cool! How does the "optional PoE support" work? Is this a matter of
    >hardware of just a different IOS image?

    You need two parts for the optional PoE support. Only some of the
    modules support it, and you need the bigger power supply option to
    feed power into the cards, and on the 1800, a PoE daughter card.

    Look at the hardware install docs.

    > >> Another question: do the 1800s have an AUX port?

    >Great! So I could use it a as "terminal server" :) ... and if the ASA also
    >had one, this could work vice versa. The PIX didn't have AUX ports but do
    >ASAs have one?

    Yes.

    I always seem to need more than one serial port though.
    An old 2600 with an NM-8A/S or bigger does great.
    Doug McIntyre, Apr 13, 2007
  6. Doug McIntyre wrote:

    >You need two parts for the optional PoE support. Only some of the
    >modules support it, and you need the bigger power supply option to
    >feed power into the cards, and on the 1800, a PoE daughter card.

    I'm about to get a 1802W - so there are no modules ;) ...

    >> Great! So I could use it a as "terminal server" :) ... and if the ASA
    >> also had one, this could work vice versa. The PIX didn't have AUX ports
    >> but do ASAs have one?

    >Yes.

    To which of the questions does this apply? ;) Does the ASA series also have
    an AUX port?

    >I always seem to need more than one serial port though.
    >An old 2600 with an NM-8A/S or bigger does great.

    Sure - I also have an ancient 2621 with an NM-32AS but the ASA5505 and the
    1802 will be stacked far away from it. So if the two could mutually serve
    as terminal server, that would be really cool!

    Regards

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 13, 2007
  7. Uli Link wrote:

    >> Another question: do the 1800s have an AUX port?

    >Yes.

    True, but that does _not_ apply to the ASA 5505 :( ...

    Regards

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 27, 2007
  8. I wrote:

    >True, but that does _not_ apply to the ASA 5505 :( ...

    Could it be possible to use a USB port for this? ;) Do they have any
    function at the moment?

    Regards

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Apr 27, 2007