    administarted and i want to backup myself
    can i make two startup_scripts and switch
    between one and 2?

    Damian, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Damian

    Guest

    what are you trying to accomplish ???

    do answer your question, the deafult configuration file loaded is named
    startup-config aand is stored in nvram

    you can set a boot variable called CONFIG_FILE

    #sh boot
    BOOT variable =
    sup-bootflash:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12;slot0:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12
    CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
    BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-8b.E9.bin
    Configuration register is 0x2102

    so you could modify the current config and save it to NVRAM with the
    follwoing command; notice the number 2 after startup

    copy system:running-config nvram:startup2-config

    you set the CONFI_FILE boot variable with the following config command

    Router(config)# boot config <dest-flash-url>

    so

    boot config nvram:startup2-config

    see Cisco doc:

    http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca739.html
    BE CAREFUL as your router is remote !!!

    , Jan 28, 2005

  3. Damian

    Lars Molstad Guest

    What you could do, is ftp or tftp the new script into the router flash, and
    copy this file to nvram, like copy flash:new-config.txt startup-config
    Also remember to back up your original startup-config...
    I think this would do the trick...

    L@rs

    Lars Molstad, Jan 28, 2005
  4. In article <0OrKd.6412$>,
    Lars Molstad <> wrote:
    >What you could do, is ftp or tftp the new script into the router flash, and
    >copy this file to nvram, like copy flash:new-config.txt startup-config
    >Also remember to back up your original startup-config...
    >I think this would do the trick...
    >
    >L@rs
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> what are you trying to accomplish ???
    >>
    >> do answer your question, the deafult configuration file loaded is named
    >> startup-config aand is stored in nvram
    >>
    >> you can set a boot variable called CONFIG_FILE
    >>
    >> #sh boot
    >> BOOT variable =
    >> sup-bootflash:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12;slot0:c6sup22-dsv-mz.121-8b.E9.bin,12
    >> CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
    >> BOOTLDR variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-8b.E9.bin
    >> Configuration register is 0x2102
    >>
    >> http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca739.html
    >> BE CAREFUL as your router is remote !!!

    The safe way to do these changes is as follows:

    copy run start ! make sure you have a valid startup configuration
    reload in 15 ! or however many minutes you're willing to be down
    copy tftp run ! make the changes to the running configuration
    ! test test test
    reload cancel ! OK, we survived the changes and like the results
    copy run start ! make the new configuration permanent

    That way, if things go wrong, you will get your router back with the old
    configuration when it reloads itself. Never, ever, copy a new startup
    configuration directly to a remote router until you are absolutely sure
    it is functional enough to keep you in control.

    Note that it can be difficult to write the config changes so that
    communications are maintained throughout the tftp transfer, and
    there are some changes which can only be made with a reboot. But if
    you don't like to hop on airplanes while the bosses are haranging
    you about downtime, its worth the effort :) One thing to consider is
    breaking up the changes into a series of changes, and making them one at
    a time. Just remember that using file transfer rather than the command
    line allows you to apply multiple changes at once, including "atomic"
    replacement of access lists.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Damian

    Peter Guest

    Hi Vincent,

    > The safe way to do these changes is as follows:
    >
    > copy run start ! make sure you have a valid startup configuration
    > reload in 15 ! or however many minutes you're willing to be down
    > copy tftp run ! make the changes to the running configuration
    > ! test test test
    > reload cancel ! OK, we survived the changes and like the results
    > copy run start ! make the new configuration permanent
    >
    > That way, if things go wrong, you will get your router back with the old
    > configuration when it reloads itself. Never, ever, copy a new startup
    > configuration directly to a remote router until you are absolutely sure
    > it is functional enough to keep you in control.
    >
    > Note that it can be difficult to write the config changes so that
    > communications are maintained throughout the tftp transfer, and
    > there are some changes which can only be made with a reboot.

    Are you aware of a Cisco Web page that specifically discusses the
    pros/cons of using "copy tftp run" for configuration change? I guess I
    am looking for a list of those things that might not work quite as
    expected when done this way...

    Thanks..............pk.

    Peter, Jan 29, 2005
  6. In article <>, Peter <> wrote:
    >Hi Vincent,
    >
    >> The safe way to do these changes is as follows:
    >>
    >> copy run start ! make sure you have a valid startup configuration
    >> reload in 15 ! or however many minutes you're willing to be down
    >> copy tftp run ! make the changes to the running configuration
    >> ! test test test
    >> reload cancel ! OK, we survived the changes and like the results
    >> copy run start ! make the new configuration permanent
    >>
    >> That way, if things go wrong, you will get your router back with the old
    >> configuration when it reloads itself. Never, ever, copy a new startup
    >> configuration directly to a remote router until you are absolutely sure
    >> it is functional enough to keep you in control.
    >>
    >> Note that it can be difficult to write the config changes so that
    >> communications are maintained throughout the tftp transfer, and
    >> there are some changes which can only be made with a reboot.

    >Are you aware of a Cisco Web page that specifically discusses the
    >pros/cons of using "copy tftp run" for configuration change? I guess I
    >am looking for a list of those things that might not work quite as
    >expected when done this way...

    No, I am not aware of any such page at this time. Perhaps someone
    else has some pointers and will chime in.

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Jan 31, 2005