1721 Router Slowing Internet Access

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by petemcc, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. petemcc

    petemcc Guest

    I've recently installed a network for some student accomodation and
    we're finding a problem where everything slows to a crawl until the
    1721 is reset. Everything is okay again for around 6-7 hours before it
    becomes unbearable again. The set up is as follows:

    G703 Converter - 1721 Router - Amphora MTR - 3550 Power Switches - AP
    350's - Students.

    The 1721 has a simple set up giving PPP to the ISP router and NAT for
    the Ethernet connecting to the MTR.

    The Amphora is a bit more involved, and I'm not 100% on how it works
    but suffice to say it's a Linux based Firewall and Access Control
    system. It allows students access via a database of MAC addresses and
    user accounts.

    The switches have virtually no configuration other than a four-port
    Etherchannel between them.

    The AP's have IP for management and a WEP key for basic security.

    Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, fixes (??!!). I've not had a
    real chance to get a good look but my initial POI (based on a quick
    look) were a very large number of NAT translations (in the 70000's,
    noticeably ICMP) and very slow response on the console (high CPU
    util?).

    TIA
    petemcc
    petemcc, Nov 18, 2003

  2. petemcc wrote:

    > Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, fixes (??!!). I've not had a
    > real chance to get a good look but my initial POI (based on a quick
    > look) were a very large number of NAT translations (in the 70000's,
    > noticeably ICMP) and very slow response on the console (high CPU
    > util?).

    Sounds like one (or more) of your students' PCs is infected with
    something like the Welchia virus.

    Regards,

    Marco.
    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Nov 18, 2003

  3. petemcc

    petemcc Guest

    "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <> wrote in message news:<3fb9fdba$0$170$4all.nl>...

    > Sounds like one (or more) of your students' PCs is infected with
    > something like the Welchia virus.

    My thoughts exactly and we were both correct - there were about six
    machines infected (there may be more, not all the students were around
    when I took Sniffer in yesterday) - some of them were Chinese which
    was interesting!!

    Good to see our future stars, who can build websites for fun, hack
    most software going etc, haven't heard of virus definition updates!

    Cheers,
    PeteMcC
    petemcc, Nov 21, 2003