    them so I was hoping someone could clarify would the major differences
    are between them?

    Thanks

    Mark, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Mark

    Guest

    The 831 will probably be your best bet. If you buy a 1721 you'll have
    the extra cost of the Ethernet WIC.

    , Feb 17, 2005

  3. Mark

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Mark

    Guest

    Thanks for you responses. I've tried the product advisor and the
    results come back as either the 831 or the 1712 (not the 1721). One
    thing that confused me a little was that there was no ethernet WAN as
    an option, I was under the impression the external ip range (factory)
    would have been connected through the WAN as ethernet?? Im still not
    sure what the advantages of the 1712 are over the 831 and cisco's
    website seems to be intended for ccna's! Could anyone put it into plain
    english please? I don't need to use it to connect remote offices/ for
    internet / pretty sure not for vpn just for routing would you believe?!

    Thanks,

    Mark

    BradReeseCom wrote:
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > You may find the Cisco Product Advisor helpful:
    >
    > http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/index.jsp
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Brad Reese
    > BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide
    > United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
    > U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    > International: 828-277-7272
    > Fax: 775-254-3558
    > Website: http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

    , Feb 17, 2005
  5. Mark

    Cisco Fan Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for you responses. I've tried the product advisor and the
    > results come back as either the 831 or the 1712 (not the 1721). One
    > thing that confused me a little was that there was no ethernet WAN as
    > an option, I was under the impression the external ip range (factory)
    > would have been connected through the WAN as ethernet?? Im still not
    > sure what the advantages of the 1712 are over the 831 and cisco's
    > website seems to be intended for ccna's! Could anyone put it into plain
    > english please? I don't need to use it to connect remote offices/ for
    > internet / pretty sure not for vpn just for routing would you believe?!

    The 1712 has - apart from the Ethernet WAN port - both a BRI port and a
    4port switch built in. If you just want to use it as a filtering gateway
    between your two sites, an 831 should suffice ... (though I asume the
    1712 should have more bandwidth capacity than the 831)

    Alternatively, depending on the number of concurrent connections, you
    could also look into getting a PIX 501 or 506 ... might be cheaper than
    the 1712, though a bit more pricy than the 831 ... but will have a
    connection limit (unless you get the unlimited license)

    -gg

    Cisco Fan, Feb 18, 2005