1720 router disconnect? hang?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ToddT, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. ToddT

    ToddT Guest

    We have a Cisco 1720 router with a WIC-1DSU-T1 card hooked to a T1
    line and our internal Ethernet network. Access control lists
    (firewall) were recently implemented.

    We have been having problems for over a week (both before and after
    the firewall configuration) where the router apparently either loses
    its connection to the T1 or simply hangs. We aren't sure which.

    First symptom is usually that we lose any response from the internet.
    A look at the router reveals that the WIC1 light has gone out, but
    PWR, OK, and ETH ACT are still lit.

    The fastest thing we have found go get things back up and running is
    to disconnect the cord from the T1 jack for about 3 seconds, then plug
    it back in. In 12-15 seconds, with WIC1 light comes back on and our
    internet connectivity returns. Powering the router down and back up
    will also restore connectivity, but takes a little longer.

    This loss of connectivity seems to happen most often between midnight
    and 4:00 AM, also between 11:00 am and 3:00 p.m. For the last week we
    have not gone more than 36 hours without this happening. Also,
    sometimes it happens 10 minutes apart.

    We have swapped WIC cards, and even swapped routers (identical cards
    and routers) to no avail.

    Logging doesn't seem to reveal anything unusual, but we may not know
    what we need to look for, either.

    Does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, or things we could try
    while we still have any hair left?

    Thanks!
    ToddT, Jul 15, 2003