1720 help

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by cbtl, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. cbtl

    cbtl Guest

    I have a 1720 router that originally shipped with ios 12.1 on it. I
    bought a WIC-1enet that is not supported by that IOS version.

    I have ios 12.3 now and a larger flash card. The shipping card was only
    4 meg, I went to a 16 meg card to max the router.

    I uploaded the ios image over ethernet and it passed the checksum and
    crc checks but the router doesn't boot into ios.

    the bootstrap version says 12.0(3)T and it cycles through that two or
    three times and then it will either go to rom mon mode or it will
    continue to cycle until I hit control break to go to rommon mode
    manually.

    I have a few versions of ios from my company's IT department (we have
    1720's in the field for sales people)

    and at this point I'm wondering if the flash card is bad or if
    something else is going on with this router.

    The wic card is out of the router to make sure it's not messing with
    something in the setup.

    I'm uploading the 12.3 rom again over xmodem to see if I had a bad
    load.

    cbtl, Feb 12, 2006

  2. cbtl

    Horst Wagner Guest

    Hi Frank,
    as I remember the Wic-1Enet is not supported by the 1720 at all. So there
    will be no software supporting it on that router.
    But I don´t know exactly you have to go through the datasheet of WIC-1Enet
    and look for the supported hardware
    Horst Wagner, Feb 12, 2006

  3. cbtl

    cbtl Guest

    cbtl, Feb 12, 2006
  4. cbtl

    Horst Wagner Guest

    Sorry, you´re right!
    This was a misunderstanding.
    Please load the original 12.1 image to your new flash-card to see if the IOS
    or the flash-card is the problem.
    Also if you have the router running with IOS on that flash-card it will be
    easier to upgrade cause you probably don´t have to erase the old one and so
    having a fallback.
    Sorry that I can´t tell you more.
    Horst Wagner, Feb 12, 2006
  5. On 12 Feb 2006 01:39:36 -0800, "cbtl" <> wrote:

    >I have a 1720 router that originally shipped with ios 12.1 on it. I
    >bought a WIC-1enet that is not supported by that IOS version.
    >
    >I have ios 12.3 now and a larger flash card. The shipping card was only
    >4 meg, I went to a 16 meg card to max the router.
    >
    >I uploaded the ios image over ethernet and it passed the checksum and
    >crc checks but the router doesn't boot into ios.
    >
    >the bootstrap version says 12.0(3)T and it cycles through that two or
    >three times and then it will either go to rom mon mode or it will
    >continue to cycle until I hit control break to go to rommon mode
    >manually.

    Here are some thoughts from a Cisco newby who has just upgraded the
    IOS on an 837:

    Have you tried putting the 12.1 image on the new flash card to see if
    that boots?
    Is the IOS file the first in flash?
    Do you have another boot statement in the configuration file (or have
    you erased the config completely)?
    Have you checked for the ROM upgrade (these are called Rommon upgrades
    in the IOS upgrade page)?

    Andrew.
    My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.
    Andrew Hodgson, Feb 12, 2006
  6. cbtl

    cbtl Guest

    I left the 12.1 cd at work so I'll take the router in and try 12.1 on
    the new flash card monday.

    The ios file currently on the flash card is the only one there.

    I've unset all the variables and synced it, I may be doing something
    wrong there (I'm fairly new to this series router)

    I didn't know about rommon upgrades, I'll check that out.
    cbtl, Feb 13, 2006
  7. cbtl

    cbtl Guest

    For all those watching this thread, I thank you for the help.

    some new developments, I went back to work and grabbed my 12.1 IOS
    backup.

    I've uploaded it to the router and it loaded fine and booted correctly.
    Now the router has 16mb of dram on it, the default.

    Could it be that I need to upgrade the ram on this router to hold a
    12.2 or 12.3 ios?
    cbtl, Feb 13, 2006
  8. cbtl

    Merv Guest

    cbtl wrote:
    > For all those watching this thread, I thank you for the help.
    >
    > some new developments, I went back to work and grabbed my 12.1 IOS
    > backup.
    >
    > I've uploaded it to the router and it loaded fine and booted correctly.
    > Now the router has 16mb of dram on it, the default.
    >
    > Could it be that I need to upgrade the ram on this router to hold a
    > 12.2 or 12.3 ios?

    for 12.3 , 32 M DRAM and 8M Flash
    Merv, Feb 13, 2006
  9. cbtl

    cbtl Guest

    ah, well that makes sense now that I looked at the memory specs again.
    hell at this point I might as well max the router out of ram and get
    that taken care of.
    cbtl, Feb 13, 2006