16x9 monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jtrip9ball, Jan 3, 2009.

  1. jtrip9ball

    jtrip9ball Guest

    My old monitor went out on new years day so I went to Fryes to get a
    new one. I was looking at some of the 22 inch 9x16 monitors. The
    cheapest one was $249. Another guy was also trying to figure out
    which one to buy. A third person showed up who seemed knowledgeable
    about them. We started talking and he said there was a 24 inch high
    definition model on sale at best buy for $259. That sounded like a
    better deal so I went to Best Buy.

    They had a 25 inch on sale for $279. It looked real nice so I bought
    one. Whith tax and disposal fee the total was about $312. That was
    twice what I expected to spend but the idea of being able to watch
    high definition movies on my computer sold me.

    I brought it home and connected it up in place of my old monitor. It
    worked great except everything was stretched out of proportion. Now
    all my relatives looked fat in my screen saver, not just some of them.
    I tried changing the resolution but that just made things bigger or
    smaller. It did nothing for the proportions.

    Next I decided I needed to get a new video card or something that
    would adjust to 9x16 format. I went back to Fryes looking for a video
    card. My computer uses an AGP 8X video card. I explained to the
    salesman, who spoke very bad English, that I needed a video card that
    would expand the width of my screen. He told me that they don't make
    AGP cards any more but I could use an adaper that connects between the
    USB port and my HMDI port on the monitor. I was skeptical, but I paid
    about $75 for this adapter and came home.

    I hooked up the adapter, read though the one page installation guide,
    and installed the video driver. I found that this device only works
    to add a 2nd video monitor. I now had a 25 inch high definition
    monitor that only worked as a second monitor and I had to keep an old
    VGA monitor connected. It didn't improve my resolution, but now I
    could drag things from one monitor to the other. I now had a 2 monitor
    wide display, but it was still in the 3x4 format.

    I disconnected the adapter, packaged it up, and returned it to Fryes.
    After waiting in line for about a 1/2 an hour I got my money refunded.
    This time I went back to the rear of the store and talked to one of
    the salesmen who sold computer hardware. I explained my problem again
    and he said I needed a new video card and they were on aisle 2.

    I searched through all the video cards and I found one AGP8X card.
    Just to be sure, I took it over to the repair counter and asked if
    this card would give me a 9x16 resolution for my new 25 inch monitor.
    Just to be sure he checked with another guy and they both said it
    would do the job. The only problem was this was the last card on the
    shelf and it was marked down from $119 to $59 because a note on the
    box said "no CD inside". I thought, "What the hell! I can just
    download it from their web site."

    I bought the card, took it home, installed it, and connected up the
    HDMI cable. The installation instructions said to allow the computer
    load a generic video driver, then install the drivers on the CD.
    Since I didn't have a CD I just turned on the computer. Unfortunately
    the computer wouldn't boot up. Next I tried connection the monitor to
    the VGA port. No boot. I pulled the card out and it booted up fine
    using my internal video port. Next I went to the web site and
    downloaded the drivers for the new video card. I tried to install the
    new drivers, but they couldn't find any compatible hardware. Next I
    connected up an old monitor to the internal video card and the new
    monitor to the new video card. No boot.

    After removing the new video card I booted up and went to the web site
    of the card manufacturer. They said I had to get support from the
    maker of the video chip set on the card. At neither web site was
    there any way to actually contact support. I could leave a message,
    but they said 99.7% of all questions were answered in their FAQs.
    From what I could figure out there was no way I could get a
    replacement CD. After some time digging though the dammed FAQs. I
    found some suggestions to change or update the BIOS on my computer. I
    also found a note saying this video card was only compatible with a
    version 2 AGP port.

    After all of this I have decided I need to upgrade my computer. So now
    it's back to Fryes to return the video card and possible buy a new
    computer.

    Does anyone have any suggestions how I can move my current hard drives
    to a new computer, without having to install every piece of sotware I
    have purchased or downloaded for the last 5 years? ARGGH!!!
    jtrip9ball, Jan 3, 2009

  2. jtrip9ball

    Wog George Guest

    "jtrip9ball" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > maker of the video chip set on the card. At neither web site was
    > there any way to actually contact support. I could leave a message,
    > but they said 99.7% of all questions were answered in their FAQs.
    > From what I could figure out there was no way I could get a
    > replacement CD. After some time digging though the dammed FAQs. I
    > found some suggestions to change or update the BIOS on my computer. I
    > also found a note saying this video card was only compatible with a
    > version 2 AGP port.
    >
    > After all of this I have decided I need to upgrade my computer. So now
    > it's back to Fryes to return the video card and possible buy a new
    > computer.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions how I can move my current hard drives
    > to a new computer, without having to install every piece of sotware I
    > have purchased or downloaded for the last 5 years? ARGGH!!!

    It's very possible to move your current drives, with quite some effort, but
    you should start from clean. I recommend nothing else if you have all of
    the installation software complete with keys.

    Note: Upgrade 101 - don't bring the old shit to the party unless you really
    enjoy all of what the old shit brings, including its sluggish performance.

    --
    George
    "Kyle, I swear, if I didn't have a guy's hand up my asshole right now, I'd
    Wog George, Jan 3, 2009

  3. "jtrip9ball" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > maker of the video chip set on the card. At neither web site was
    > there any way to actually contact support. I could leave a message,
    > but they said 99.7% of all questions were answered in their FAQs.
    > From what I could figure out there was no way I could get a
    > replacement CD. After some time digging though the dammed FAQs. I
    > found some suggestions to change or update the BIOS on my computer. I
    > also found a note saying this video card was only compatible with a
    > version 2 AGP port.
    >
    > After all of this I have decided I need to upgrade my computer. So now
    > it's back to Fryes to return the video card and possible buy a new
    > computer.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions how I can move my current hard drives
    > to a new computer, without having to install every piece of sotware I
    > have purchased or downloaded for the last 5 years? ARGGH!!!

    This video card will most assuredly work in your current system and provide
    you with your desired 16X9 resolution:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133176

    and it comes with a CD enclosed, but I'd recommend you not use it. Instead,
    download the most current drivers for your O/S from the nVidia website.

    Colon Terminus, Jan 3, 2009