    any clues? This is critical for a potential customer. Any info would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGJyZW50dw==?=, Nov 8, 2007

  2. not seeing it, and haven't had any issues myself, nor seen any others
    reported here. I'm running multiple servers with 16 GB of RAM.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Thanks for the reply Charlie.

    Are you running any individual processes that require many GBs of data? This
    problem is easily reproducible for me, although I've only tested it w/ the
    Java application that we've developed.

    BTW, if you mean "not seeing it" that you don't see the post, look for "16Gb
    Ram and page file" from yesterday.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGJyZW50dw==?=, Nov 9, 2007
  4. I'm running about 9 Longhorn Server VMs and 4-8 XP/Vista clients. I've got a
    large swap file (16, 681 MB) and haven't had performance issues. Of course,
    this is a very good server, with a really good I/O subsystem. (HP ML350 G5
    with a Smart Array P400 (512 Mb Cache), and 8x2.5" 15k SAS HDs.)

    What I _do_ see is that at 12-13 GB of RAM utilization things slow down.
    This is, IMHO, the limitation of the current Intel memory architecture,
    which simply has too narrow a pipe to its Northbridge and RAM, and no
    on-board memory controller. The quad-core procs, I'm told, can handle
    considerably more RAM before they bog down.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2007
  5. Well, it still doesn't make sense that I can run a process in about an hour
    w/ no page file, using 5GB of physical memory, but run the same process in at
    least several hours (I terminated it) where physical memory was capped at 1Gb.

    What I want to see happen is the JVM grab 15GB of physical memory and use as
    much of this as available. When physical RAM is almost used up, THEN the
    system should start using the page file.

    Call me crazy, but this seems the correct (and obvious) use of a page file.

    Incidentally, I've run this same app on a Linux box WITH a page file, and it
    performed as expected.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGJyZW50dw==?=, Nov 9, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?ZGJyZW50dw==?=

    Mach58 Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:39:00 -0800, dbrentw
    <> wrote:

    >Well, it still doesn't make sense that I can run a process in about an hour
    >w/ no page file, using 5GB of physical memory, but run the same process in at
    >least several hours (I terminated it) where physical memory was capped at 1Gb.
    >
    >What I want to see happen is the JVM grab 15GB of physical memory and use as
    >much of this as available. When physical RAM is almost used up, THEN the
    >system should start using the page file.
    >
    >Call me crazy, but this seems the correct (and obvious) use of a page file.
    >
    >Incidentally, I've run this same app on a Linux box WITH a page file, and it
    >performed as expected.

    Don't have any experience with Java (I'm a C# guy), but I found this
    link:

    http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/docs/install/windows.html#w64

    which may or may not help. Your problem is that you want to manage
    memory yourself, but the JVM doesn't let you do it. In the unmanaged
    world, there's kernel32's VirtualLock, which lets you specify ranges
    of memory that shouldn't get paged out.

    HTH,
    Mach

    Mach58, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Ok, I feel like I need to go on record and say that the issue was MY FAULT.

    It appears that I was testing the app 2 different ways: from a batch file
    and from command line. Well, it turns out that in the .bat file, I had the
    memory options at the end of the command instead of before the -jar
    option...well, if you do this, you don't actually set the JVM to use the
    options that you specify!!

    I was running it correctly from the command line, which is why I saw the
    correct performance those times.

    STUPID! Oh well, live and learn. Thanks to those who responded. Cheers.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGJyZW50dw==?=, Nov 9, 2007
  8. "dbrentw" <> wrote in message

    <
    <. . .the issue was MY FAULT.