    Marty Drabic

    "We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by
    the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

    marty, Jun 19, 2006

  2. The only solution I know that works is to install the application to a
    32-bit machine, and capture the changes it makes to the registry during the
    process. Then replicate those manually to the x64 machine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 19, 2006

  3. On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:41:29 +0100, marty <> wrote:

    > Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit
    > installer? And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they
    > said they have no plans to update it.

    Tell the company their support sucks, and ask them why should you even
    consider purchasing any of their current products.

    Ditch them, find someone who updates their products at least once a
    decade...

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Some of the old installers, like Instalshield, have been around a long time
    and have been tried and true. Developers had no reason to spend money to
    upgrade. Until now there was no need to change them. Until now.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 20, 2006
  5. marty

    marty Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Some of the old installers, like Instalshield, have been around a long time
    > and have been tried and true. Developers had no reason to spend money to
    > upgrade. Until now there was no need to change them. Until now.
    >
    > "marty" <> wrote in message
    >> Has anybody found a workaround for a program that uses a 16bit installer?
    >> And yes i contacted the company on several occasions and they said they
    >> have no plans to update it.
    >> --
    >> Marty Drabic
    >>
    >> "We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the
    >> depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

    --
    Yeah that was their reply too....unfortunately we are stuck with this
    company for now because of a legacy issue.

    marty, Jun 20, 2006
  6. I understand that the issue with 16-bit software in general is that all x64
    systems require 32 significant bits. It is not just a bug.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 20, 2006
  7. marty

    John Barnes Guest

    Did you try the program in the other post. Has helped some in the past

    John Barnes, Jun 20, 2006
  8. On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:56:17 +0100, marty <> wrote:

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Some of the old installers, like Instalshield, have been around a long
    >> time and have been tried and true.

    I would disagree, whilst Installshield is the market leader, it's a very
    poor product. I had no end of problems developing and deploying advanced
    Installshield projects.

    >> Developers had no reason to spend money to upgrade.

    Who needs to spend money, NSIS installer is 32bit, and works much better
    than Installshield ever did for us. The only thing we miss out on is MSI
    deployment, if you don't need this, then NSIS is totally awesome...

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 21, 2006
  9. Marty,
    I would highly recommend WinINstall LE. I had the same problem you did. I
    downloaded the eval of WinInstall to see if it would work. It worked great!
    All you have to do is install the product onto a "clean machine". Basically
    just a machine that does not have the software that you want to fix installed
    on it. It does a first scan of the machine & then you install your 16 bit
    application. It does a second install & then produces an msi file. Run the
    msi file & the install works successfully. I was thoroughly impressed.

    HTH,
    John

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBELg==?=, Jun 21, 2006
  10. Good idea, John. While I do have some oldies with 16bit installers, there's
    nothing I can think of that I want on my x64 machine - but it sounds as if
    it uses the method Charlie is mentioning. A lot easier for the general user
    to have a *.msi instead of writing your own script to report diff's in the
    registry.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 22, 2006