160Gb hard drive not found on My Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hugh jass, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Hi All,
    I just bought a Maxtor 160Gb HD and put it into a USB2 enclosure to make it
    portable.
    I thought I could plug n' play, but so far, no luck!
    Running winXP on a P4. I already have a Western Digital 160Gb HD and a
    Maxtor 40Gb HD on the system. Also have two optical drives (a CD burner and
    a DVD burner) on it. Is the fact that I already have 4 devices going to
    cause a problem?
    I didn't think so since this new one is connecting through USB.
    Device Manager detects it and even says "this device is working properly,"
    but when I open My Computer, I can't locate the drive anywhere.
    A friend said that this might be due to the size and I should install a
    driver. So, I downloaded Maxtor's big_drive_enabler.exe and ran it, but
    still no luck.
    I get a ding when I plug it in, but that's it.
    Please help!
    Thanks in advance,
    hj

    hugh jass, Jan 8, 2005

  2. hugh jass

    Billy Guest

    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I just bought a Maxtor 160Gb HD and put it into a USB2 enclosure to

    make it
    > portable.
    > I thought I could plug n' play, but so far, no luck!
    > Running winXP on a P4. I already have a Western Digital 160Gb HD and

    > Maxtor 40Gb HD on the system. Also have two optical drives (a CD

    burner and
    > a DVD burner) on it. Is the fact that I already have 4 devices going

    > cause a problem?
    > I didn't think so since this new one is connecting through USB.
    > Device Manager detects it and even says "this device is working

    properly,"
    > but when I open My Computer, I can't locate the drive anywhere.
    > A friend said that this might be due to the size and I should install

    > driver. So, I downloaded Maxtor's big_drive_enabler.exe and ran it,

    but
    > still no luck.
    > I get a ding when I plug it in, but that's it.
    > Please help!
    > Thanks in advance,
    > hj

    Have you used Disk Management to format it?
    (One way to get there, Right-click My Computer, choose Manage, Expand
    Storage +).

    Billy, Jan 8, 2005

  3. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks for the advice - I did what you said, but this drive doesn't appear
    there.
    Do I have to physically install the HD on the system and then format it
    before I put it back in the enclosure and use it with USB2?
    Thnx,
    hj

    hugh jass, Jan 8, 2005
  4. hugh jass

    doS Guest

    eh, no...how is it jumpered?

    doS, Jan 8, 2005
  5. hugh jass

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:32:01 -0500 hugh jass wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I just bought a Maxtor 160Gb HD and put it into a USB2 enclosure to
    > make it
    > portable.
    > I thought I could plug n' play, but so far, no luck!
    > Running winXP on a P4. I already have a Western Digital 160Gb HD and a
    > Maxtor 40Gb HD on the system. Also have two optical drives (a CD
    > burner and
    > a DVD burner) on it. Is the fact that I already have 4 devices going
    > cause a problem?
    > I didn't think so since this new one is connecting through USB.
    > Device Manager detects it and even says "this device is working
    > properly,"
    > but when I open My Computer, I can't locate the drive anywhere.
    > A friend said that this might be due to the size and I should install a
    > driver. So, I downloaded Maxtor's big_drive_enabler.exe and ran it,
    > but
    > still no luck.
    > I get a ding when I plug it in, but that's it.
    > Please help!
    > Thanks in advance,
    > hj

    Jumper settings on "Cable select"?
    Sometimes the enclosures themselves can be a problem.
    With the ding, I'd suspect either no power, or a loose cable problem.
    Another thing to try, is to replace the usb connecting cord.
    A technician and I worked on my computer for 3 hours trying to get it to go
    online.
    After I went through the PITA of reinstalling windows, I wanted to move the
    modem, but the cable wasn't long enough.
    Put in a longer cable and the damn thing went online instantly.

    And to make sure what the problem is, try connecting the drive directly into
    the machine once.

    Richard, Jan 8, 2005
  6. hugh jass

    Conor Guest

    In article <ACHDd.68807$P%>, hugh jass
    says...
    > Hi All,
    > I just bought a Maxtor 160Gb HD and put it into a USB2 enclosure to make it
    > portable.
    > I thought I could plug n' play, but so far, no luck!
    > Running winXP on a P4. I already have a Western Digital 160Gb HD and a
    > Maxtor 40Gb HD on the system. Also have two optical drives (a CD burner and
    > a DVD burner) on it. Is the fact that I already have 4 devices going to
    > cause a problem?
    > I didn't think so since this new one is connecting through USB.
    > Device Manager detects it and even says "this device is working properly,"
    > but when I open My Computer, I can't locate the drive anywhere.
    > A friend said that this might be due to the size and I should install a
    > driver. So, I downloaded Maxtor's big_drive_enabler.exe and ran it, but
    > still no luck.

    You need to enable 48 bit LBA support to enable a driver bigger than
    137GB to be used. All the info you need is here:

    http://www.48bitlba.com/issues.htm

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton