    Luvskats00 Guest

    I just got a new computer with a 160G HD but the capacity reads as 145G. What
    happened to the 15G?
    Luvskats00, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Luvskats00

    Thor Guest

    "Luvskats00" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just got a new computer with a 160G HD but the capacity reads as 145G.
    >What
    > happened to the 15G?

    difference in measurement types. For example, harddrive manufacturers use
    the decimal measurement as 1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes. 1 Megabytes = 1000
    kilobytes, and 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes for advertised capacity. Pure base 10
    measure. In practical software usage though, base 2 measurement is used to
    calculate capacity. 1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes. 1 megabyte=1024 kilobytes
    and so on.
    Thor, Jan 14, 2005

  3. 160 x 10^9 = 149 x 2^30.

    --