$1600 to spend....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    You have $1600 to spend on a new computer.... (excluding software)

    Already own (and therefore dont need to purchase) :

    DVD Writer
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    ATX Case
    Hard drives (altho 1 SATA would be nice)

    Reqd in new system :

    1 GB RAM
    256MB Video Card
    17" LCD Monitor
    2 PATA (IDE) controllers (to run DVD drive and existing HDDs)

    You play latest games a bit, do a bit of video work but just generally geek
    a lot (so browsing, email, playing with new s/ware etc quite a bit)

    Now.....what would you buy ?
    AMD ? Intel ?
    32 or 64 bit ?
    Top of the line video card or budget ?

    Remember... $1600 maximum inc GST.

    Your answers appreciated :p
    XPD, Aug 17, 2005

  2. XPD

    thing2 Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > You have $1600 to spend on a new computer.... (excluding software)
    >
    > Already own (and therefore dont need to purchase) :
    >
    > DVD Writer
    > Mouse
    > Keyboard
    > ATX Case
    > Hard drives (altho 1 SATA would be nice)
    >
    > Reqd in new system :
    >
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 256MB Video Card
    > 17" LCD Monitor
    > 2 PATA (IDE) controllers (to run DVD drive and existing HDDs)
    >
    > You play latest games a bit, do a bit of video work but just generally geek
    > a lot (so browsing, email, playing with new s/ware etc quite a bit)
    >
    > Now.....what would you buy ?
    > AMD ? Intel ?
    > 32 or 64 bit ?
    > Top of the line video card or budget ?
    >
    > Remember... $1600 maximum inc GST.
    >
    > Your answers appreciated :p

    A motherboard that supports at least 2 gig of ram. I think Gigabyte or
    MSI good value myself. Onboard gigabyte network? an intel 1000 chipset
    is preferred, the 8139 is pretty crappy.

    Firewire? 800 at least 2 preferably 3 ports

    USB2 4 seperate usb2 channels.....

    A front panel to feed firewire and usb2 into? ie sick of groveliing
    around the back for a port?

    External sound card, I have the creative one and its good.

    Cordless keyboard and mouse?

    400w+ PSU?

    I would look at the all-in-wonder ati series of cards if you want to
    play with video.

    Dual head?

    I'd go 19inch monitor, a bigger monitor is really worth it IMHO.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Aug 17, 2005

  3. XPD

    Nova Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > You have $1600 to spend on a new computer.... (excluding software)
    >
    > Already own (and therefore dont need to purchase) :
    >
    > DVD Writer
    > Mouse
    > Keyboard
    > ATX Case
    > Hard drives (altho 1 SATA would be nice)
    >
    > Reqd in new system :
    >
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 256MB Video Card
    > 17" LCD Monitor
    > 2 PATA (IDE) controllers (to run DVD drive and existing HDDs)
    >
    > You play latest games a bit, do a bit of video work but just generally geek
    > a lot (so browsing, email, playing with new s/ware etc quite a bit)
    >
    > Now.....what would you buy ?
    > AMD ? Intel ?
    > 32 or 64 bit ?
    > Top of the line video card or budget ?
    >
    > Remember... $1600 maximum inc GST.
    >
    > Your answers appreciated :p

    Get a socket-939 board and maybe with SLI :)
    This lets you get a AMD 64 or a AMD 64 dual core, as dual core is
    expensive still right now you can just get the single core and upgrade
    later, socket 939 will give you a decent life.

    If you get sli, then you can buy a geforce 6600GT and then maybe get a
    second or you can get the second later to add some extra power to the
    system when you need it.

    Or you can get the geforce 6800 which are coming down in price too.

    If you have read any review sites lately, AMD are the king of the
    mountain at the moment in both dual core and single core.

    I'd also go with ndvidia if you can cause I just like them more than ati
    :) (I've had problems with ati cards and drivers)

    That is also what I plan on getting when I next upgrade...I've been
    reading reviews for ages and from everythinh I read AMD is the way to go
    currently, intel seemed to have slipped off the ball a bit lately.. i am
    sure they will come up with something again eventually.. Intel seem to
    be doing really well with their mobile cpu's but their p4's sucked
    really... (especially power!)
    Nova, Aug 17, 2005
  4. XPD

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > You have $1600 to spend on a new computer.... (excluding software)
    >
    > Already own (and therefore dont need to purchase) :
    >
    > DVD Writer
    > Mouse
    > Keyboard
    > ATX Case
    > Hard drives (altho 1 SATA would be nice)
    >
    > Reqd in new system :
    >
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 256MB Video Card
    > 17" LCD Monitor
    > 2 PATA (IDE) controllers (to run DVD drive and existing HDDs)
    >
    > You play latest games a bit, do a bit of video work but just generally

    geek
    > a lot (so browsing, email, playing with new s/ware etc quite a bit)
    >
    > Now.....what would you buy ?
    > AMD ? Intel ?
    > 32 or 64 bit ?
    > Top of the line video card or budget ?

    Asus Premium sli m.b ($400)
    CPU Athlon 3500+
    2 gig
    7800GTX graphics card

    didn't check the prices , oops forgot the lcd?
    go to lower model graphics card and spend rest on lcd
    Craig Sutton, Aug 17, 2005
  5. XPD

    MarkH Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > You have $1600 to spend on a new computer.... (excluding software)
    >
    > Already own (and therefore dont need to purchase) :
    >
    > DVD Writer
    > Mouse
    > Keyboard
    > ATX Case
    > Hard drives (altho 1 SATA would be nice)
    >
    > Reqd in new system :
    >
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 256MB Video Card
    > 17" LCD Monitor
    > 2 PATA (IDE) controllers (to run DVD drive and existing HDDs)
    >
    > You play latest games a bit, do a bit of video work but just generally
    > geek a lot (so browsing, email, playing with new s/ware etc quite a
    > bit)
    >
    > Now.....what would you buy ?
    > AMD ? Intel ?
    > 32 or 64 bit ?
    > Top of the line video card or budget ?
    >
    > Remember... $1600 maximum inc GST.
    >
    > Your answers appreciated :p

    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (or faster if the budget allows)
    Asus A8N-E (NForce 4 chipset, 2 x PATA, 4 x SATA, 1 x GB LAN, 10 x USB2)
    2 x 512MB DDR400 RAM (or 2 x 1GB DDR400 if the budget allows)
    Philips 170B6 Monitor (or 19" if the budget allows)
    Nvidia GT6600 or better video card (Nvidia 6800 or ATI X700 or X800)
    New case with USB in front if you don’t already have that.
    New PSU, not a cheapie.

    Checking prices from my local supplier (Advertised prices, not some
    cheaper deal that I might get).
    CPU $325
    M/B $225
    RAM $240
    LCD $450
    Vid $340

    Total: $1580 incl GST.

    If you can find better pricing elsewhere then you might be able to
    afford the case or PSU.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-August-05)
    MarkH, Aug 17, 2005
  6. XPD

    Daniel Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > You have $1600 to spend on a new computer.... (excluding software)

    <snip>
    > 256MB Video Card

    <snip>
    > Top of the line video card or budget ?

    <snip>

    On the video card front, at the moment the 6600GT still offers the best
    bang for buck IMHO.

    However, the *X800GT* has just been released, and I suggest you wait for
    that to hit NZ shores. It's ATI's answer to 6600GT (finally!), and is
    priced accordingly - although, I think the damage has already been done.
    Daniel, Aug 17, 2005
  7. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in news:4302a131$1