1600 router as DHCP server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Phil Schuman, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Phil Schuman

    Phil Schuman Guest

    I have this old cisco 1600 router that we used for some demos.
    I was wondering if it can be used as a DHCP server,
    in that the 1600 is listed on the Cisco site as supporting that
    function,
    but I don't see it in the config IP commands list -
    BTW - anything else I should be concerned about in this firmware version
    as it is just used for some basic demo stuff -

    ---
    IOS (tm) 1600 Software (C1600-SY-L), Version 11.3(5), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    (fc1)
    Compiled Tue 11-Aug-98 02:24 by phanguye
    Image text-base: 0x080263DC, data-base: 0x02005000

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(10)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc
    1)
    ROM: 1600 Software (C1600-BOOT-R), Version 11.1(10)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Phil Schuman, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Phil Schuman

    Merv Guest

    I believe IOS started suppoting this feature with 12.0 thus an IOS
    upgrade will be required.

    Merv, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Phil Schuman

    Ben Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > I believe IOS started suppoting this feature with 12.0 thus an IOS
    > upgrade will be required.

    Checkout www.cisco.com/go/fn and look for images that support the dhcp
    server feature.

    cheers,

    Ben

    Ben, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Phil Schuman

    Phil Schuman Guest

    "Merv" <> wrote in message

    > I believe IOS started suppoting this feature with 12.0 thus an IOS
    > upgrade will be required.

    Am I correct in viewing this box as having :
    4meg RAM and a 6meg flash card,
    which might prove difficult to try and load a 12.x image
    from another flash card for our 1600 ?
    ---------

    Router uptime is 0 minutes
    System restarted by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c1600-sy-l.113-5", booted via flash

    cisco 1601 (68360) processor (revision C) with 3584K/512K bytes of
    memory.
    Processor board ID 10700673, with hardware revision 00000000
    System/IO memory with parity disabled
    6144K bytes of processor board PCMCIA flash (Read ONLY)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Router>

    Phil Schuman, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Phil Schuman

    Ben Guest

    Phil Schuman wrote:
    > "Merv" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I believe IOS started suppoting this feature with 12.0 thus an IOS
    >>upgrade will be required.
    >>

    > Am I correct in viewing this box as having :
    > 4meg RAM and a 6meg flash card,
    > which might prove difficult to try and load a 12.x image
    > from another flash card for our 1600 ?
    > ---------
    >
    > Router uptime is 0 minutes
    > System restarted by power-on
    > System image file is "flash:c1600-sy-l.113-5", booted via flash
    >
    > cisco 1601 (68360) processor (revision C) with 3584K/512K bytes of
    > memory.
    > Processor board ID 10700673, with hardware revision 00000000
    > System/IO memory with parity disabled
    > 8K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    > 6144K bytes of processor board PCMCIA flash (Read ONLY)
    >
    > Configuration register is 0x2102
    >
    > Router>

    Yeh that's nowhere near enough. You need 24Mb RAM and 8Mb flash

    Ben, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Phil Schuman

    Phil Schuman Guest

    "Ben" <> wrote in message
    > Merv wrote:
    > > I believe IOS started suppoting this feature with 12.0 thus an IOS
    > > upgrade will be required.
    > >

    > Checkout www.cisco.com/go/fn and look for images that support the dhcp
    > server feature.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Ben

    tnx - just looked -
    and it appears that I would need 12.3 for the DHCP server function
    and then of course 6meg and a 12meg flash card for the non-R 1601
    c1600-y-l.12.3-12a (6/12)

    Phil Schuman, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Phil Schuman

    Guest

    Phil Schuman wrote:

    > tnx - just looked -
    > and it appears that I would need 12.3 for the DHCP server function
    > and then of course 6meg and a 12meg flash card for the non-R 1601
    > c1600-y-l.12.3-12a (6/12)

    Feature Navigator says:-
    DHCP server is in 12.1(5)

    IP c1600-y-l.12.1-5 4Ram 8Flash

    You MAY be able to boot from a BOOTP server if you don't have the
    flash.

    Maybe the feature navigator does not understand 12.0?

    12.0(8) release notes say:

    Easy IP Phase 2-DHCP Server
    is in all feature sets in the "IBM Support " section.
    Who knows what that is though.

    Good luck.

    , Feb 15, 2005