16 v 32 bit sound?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi.

    I just have a quick question.

    I have onboard sound with my Abit nForce 2 NF7S motherboard.

    I also have a Creative Sound Blaster Platinum thingy that's a few
    years old. This is only 16 bit sound, and I am just wondering if
    anyone can confirm if the onboard sound on these boards are 16 or
    32bit?

    And I also just wondered, is there a big difference/
    improvement/benefit with the jump from 16 to 32?

    I think I'm probably going to get a new Creative one soon, because I
    need both the optical in and out, but on the onboard nForce it just
    has out.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Nov 9, 2004

  2. John

    Jerry G. Guest

    You can hear the difference if you put the sound to a very good set of
    speakers, or to a very good sound system. The sound from the 32 bit source
    will have less aliasing in it. This would make the sound give the feeling of
    more depth to it, or more full sounding. It is hard to explain something
    like this. The standard 32 bit sound cards are not very expensive these
    days.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======