    ----------
    Savage
    ________

    =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=, May 30, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Savage wrote:

    > ... maybe I'm lazy ...

    Oh... really...

    Roy Coorne, May 30, 2005

  3. At least I admit I am lazy , but I did a brief search on the product
    information pages and could find no info pertaining to 16-bit application
    support.

    A quick yes or no will do : ) ?
    --
    ________
    NIC

    =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=, May 30, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=

    roman modic Guest

    Hello,

    "Savage" <> wrote in message
    > At least I admit I am lazy , but I did a brief search on the product
    > information pages and could find no info pertaining to 16-bit application
    > support.
    >
    > A quick yes or no will do : ) ?

    Out of the box: no!

    Yes, if you use Vmware, VirtualPC, DosBox or Bochs ...

    Cheers, Roman

    roman modic, May 30, 2005
  5. You cannot use Virtual PC on x64 Windows.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 30, 2005
  6. "Savage" <> wrote in message
    > Good Day all,
    >
    > Does Windows XP 64 bit still support 16-bit applications ?

    No.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 30, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=

    R Sanders Guest

    I am not sure MS's plan for Virtual PC, but you can use Microsoft Virtual
    Server 2005 on a 64 bit platiform.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/sp1beta.mspx

    Bob Sanders

    R Sanders, May 30, 2005
  8. Christian Hougardy, May 30, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=

    WM Guest

    If there is an installation block, that's new for SP1 - as you could
    install, but not get support for, running VS on XP 32-bit.

    WM, May 30, 2005
  10. No.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2005
  11. Charlie Russel - MVP, May 30, 2005
  12. Hi Guys I have the info I required, thank you kindly.
    --
    ________
    NIC

    =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=, May 30, 2005
  13. Nope, not 16-bit installers allowed, but some people say its work around, I
    wouldn't put much faith into it anyway.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2005
  14. Hello,

    My name is Davin Eastley and I'm 13 years old. I live in Tasmania,
    Australia.
    16 bit support was phased out after Windows 95 - the first 32 bit platform.
    Since Win98, we haven't seen support for 16 bit applications as the hardware
    had been upgraded considerably. It is only every backwards-compatible with
    the platform before it (eg. Windows 95 is compatible with 16 bit and WinXP
    x64 is compatible with 32 bit applications but not 16 bit). It took
    Microsoft ten years to develop a platform for 32 bit and the Windows 95
    release was one of the best times for Microsoft as they had finally got an
    os that was used by the 32-bit architecture (x86 standard developed by
    Intel). There are now two architecture types from AMD and Intel relating to
    their 64-bit processors. Intel's is EM64T (Extended Memory 64 bit
    Technology) and AMD's x86-64. This is because of the fact that AMD's 64 bit
    processors are compatible with 32 bit and is an improvement to the x86
    platform. Now it is time for a little history on Operating Systems. Almost
    after the invention of the first PC (IBM was the creator) DOS was created.
    IBM needed an operating system to work on their pcs. DOS = Disk Operating
    System. Around 1975, IBM hired Bill Gates to come and work on the OS. Bill
    Gates had accepted and went to help work on the OS. Bill wanted to work on
    an OS with his team at Microsoft though. Microsoft created Windows 1.0 a few
    years later and continue to improve up to Windows 3.11 For WorkGroups. Soon
    after that, 32 bit processors started to arrive. Microsoft needed to create
    an OS for that platform. 10 years after the release of 32 bit processors
    came Windows 95. 32 bit processors arrived in 1985. A little info - IBM's
    first OS was 8-bit. Windows 98 came next. It improved the Windows OS for the
    32 bit generation. Windows 2000 built up on the security and there came
    server versions of the OS. Windows XP came in September 2001 and became a
    reliable OS in Professional and Home Editions. We next saw Windows Server
    2003, the server os based on XP. And very recently came Windows XP x64. It
    has been 20 years since the hardware for 32 bit came out. We now see the
    hardware for 64-bit on the market and it's becoming mainstream. I hope this
    is a good general overview. Feel free to e-mail me at
    .

    Regards,
    Davin Eastley

    -----------
    www.davineastley.tk
    Forums Home

    Davin Eastley, May 31, 2005
  15. Nice response/article David. ;-)
    --

    >>> ________

    Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?=

    Aldo Bleeker Guest

    If this article means "No, XP for x64 doesn't support 16-bits
    applications", then yes, you're right, but you seem a bit confused about
    the reason why. You seem to be saying that since Windows 98 there has
    been no support for 16-bits applications, but that's just not true.
    That's what WoW is for, Windows on Windows, it's a 16-bits subsystem
    specifically designed to support 16-bits applications. True, there are
    some restrictions, for example no application can hit the hardware
    directly as some 16-bits applications did, but a lot of 16-bits
    applications just work.

    As an aside, that's how XP x64 supports 32-bits applications, with
    WoW64, which is a 32-bits subsystem. And the reason that XP x64 doesn't
    support 16-bits applications is that Microsoft explicitly dropped
    support and the 16-bits subsystem.

    As a matter of fact, the reason that stepping up to XP x64 may be a bit
    of a leap for some people is that Windows XP for x32 DOES support
    16-bits applications while XP x64 does not, and they may have some key
    applications that thus will work under XP x32 but not under XP x64. As
    surprising as this may seem there still are 16-bits applications in use
    today. It seems a lot of old installers are 16-bits, for example. But
    normally you would never notice, because XP x32 just runs them.

    So, to answer the original question, if you know your application is
    16-bits, then you can be sure it won't run on XP x64, no need to
    download, install, and run a trial.

    Aldo Bleeker

    Aldo Bleeker, May 31, 2005
  17. It doesn't take much to recompile a program that is written correctly to
    compile in either 32 or 64 bits. They do it all the time with Linux. :)

    Wayne Wastier, May 31, 2005
  18. True a lot of 16 bit applications work perfectly on Windows 9x, it is
    possible on x64 based on what I have read in the newsgroups, but I consider
    it a waste of time and energy.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  19. Aldo,

    Considering this is a newsgroup I didn't want to go into detail too much
    otherwise I would have written a book on OSes. You're right about Windows on
    Windows. I should have defined architecture better in my article and gone
    into more detail. I am an AMD Solution Provider that's reseller certified. I
    passed a test from AMD on processor architecture (mainly on the 64-bit
    processors) and scored 95%. Passing score was 80%. I had to answer questions
    about DirectConnect, HyperTransport, the processor die etc. If I had of
    expanded my article I probably would have gone into that detail a bit more.
    But, thanks for the correction to my article, Aldo. I appreciate it. Feel
    free to e0mail me at . I have 5 years experiemce in IT
    and I continue to learn and get more experienced.

    Regards,
    Davin Eastley

    ----------
    www.davineastley.tk
    Forums Home

    Davin Eastley, Jun 1, 2005
  20. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <> wrote:
    > True a lot of 16 bit applications work perfectly on Windows 9x, it is
    > possible on x64 based on what I have read in the newsgroups, but I
    > consider it a waste of time and energy.

    Hi André,

    Tell us more about the change in your sig :)

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 1, 2005