16:9 newbie type question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by ng_reader, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    I have a pretty simple question, that might not be so simple.

    When selecting the 16:9 output for my DVD player to match my projection
    HDTV, it looks very nice.

    But, when I split my screen with my dual tuner-in-tuner as I'm want to do, I
    realize that it's not a 16:9 image, but *really* a 4:3 image --- compressed.

    I assume that since the output is *not* HDTV but something else, (that's 4:3
    is right), and that the *real* image is just squished together but later
    expanded using the TV's internal mechanism (?).

    Does this make sense?

    I'm sorry I don't get it. I suppose the image is 480p, and we're talking
    anamorphic or something, but...

    Should I return my new DVD player? Is it working correctly? I made a post
    earlier about it, but maybe I'm the only person in the country to buy
    one....

    Mr. Curious

    ng_reader, Jan 13, 2005

  2. ng_reader

    Rich Clark Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    >I have a pretty simple question, that might not be so simple.
    >
    > When selecting the 16:9 output for my DVD player to match my projection
    > HDTV, it looks very nice.
    >
    > But, when I split my screen with my dual tuner-in-tuner as I'm want to do,
    > realize that it's not a 16:9 image, but *really* a 4:3 image ---
    > compressed.

    That's right. DVDs are NTSC video, which is 4:3. Anamorphic processing
    takes the origingal 16:9 image and squeezes it horizontally so it will fit
    into the 4:3 NTSC frame. The player "unsqueezes" it on playback.

    > I assume that since the output is *not* HDTV but something else, (that's
    > 4:3
    > is right), and that the *real* image is just squished together but later
    > expanded using the TV's internal mechanism (?).

    The player, not the TV.

    > Does this make sense?
    >
    > I'm sorry I don't get it. I suppose the image is 480p, and we're talking
    > anamorphic or something, but...
    >
    > Should I return my new DVD player? Is it working correctly? I made a
    > post
    > earlier about it, but maybe I'm the only person in the country to buy
    > one....

    It sounds like it's working as it should. I don't quite get what you're
    saying about "tuner-in-tuner," though.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Jan 13, 2005

  3. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    <snip>

    > It sounds like it's working as it should. I don't quite get what you're
    > saying about "tuner-in-tuner," though.
    >
    > RichC

    Sorry for what may have been confusing to read. It was with my 2 tuners that
    I began to realize the situation. The Sony 51" projection set I own
    (probably like every single other brand) has two built in NTSC tuners so I
    can watch two relatively watch-able programs on the same big screen (side by
    side/resizing at will too). However when I am receiving HD (ATSC flavor) the
    image of the tv picture is formatted 16:9 versus the *other* tv picture of
    good ol' 4:3. Somehow, my TV just magically knows!

    I guess if there is still some confusion, it's my understanding of just how
    my TV is able to decipher the incoming signal from the DVD player as
    "squished" 16:9 versus just 4:3. Because, well, it does.

    Regards and thanks for the response, Rich C

    ng_reader, Jan 13, 2005
  4. ng_reader

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "ng_reader" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry for what may have been confusing to read. It was with my 2
    > tuners that
    > I began to realize the situation. The Sony 51" projection set I own
    > (probably like every single other brand) has two built in NTSC tuners
    > so I
    > can watch two relatively watch-able programs on the same big screen
    > (side by
    > side/resizing at will too). However when I am receiving HD (ATSC
    > flavor) the
    > image of the tv picture is formatted 16:9 versus the *other* tv
    > picture of
    > good ol' 4:3. Somehow, my TV just magically knows!
    >
    > I guess if there is still some confusion, it's my understanding of
    > just how
    > my TV is able to decipher the incoming signal from the DVD player as
    > "squished" 16:9 versus just 4:3. Because, well, it does.

    The video signal is flagged to indicate what aspect ratio the content is
    stored in. If the television is able to read the flags, it can
    automatically switch to the proper viewing mode. Not all televisions
    will do this, but I believe Sony makes a point of it.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 13, 2005