    LCD monitor would be great as well..
    P4 2.4ghz
    HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    Craig Sutton, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Craig Sutton

    Io Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >
    > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video fine.

    > LCD monitor would be great as well..

    15" & 17" ones have really come down in price.

    > P4 2.4ghz

    an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ would be ~155$ cheaper, an Athlon XP 2700+ ~50$
    cheaper. Make sure the motherboard doesn't have a "VIA chipset" though.

    > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    80gb hard-drives are the best price point.

    Io, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >
    > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video
    > fine. LCD monitor would be great as well..
    > P4 2.4ghz
    > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    Case: Trendy tower case, 400W PSU (Not the best but cheap) $48 QMB

    Mobo: Soltek SL-75MRN. nForce2 chipset, integrated GeForce4 MX440
    graphics, sound and LAN. $186 QMB

    CPU: AMD Barton 2500+ retail pack. $176 E-One

    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7,200rpm, ATA100. $132 OEM

    RAM: TwinMOS 512MB DDR400 PC3200. $176 OEM

    Monitor: AOC 17" LCD. $647. E-One

    Mouse: MS Optical wheel mouse. $36. OEM

    There's a good starting point for you, $1,405 so far inc. GST. The Soltek is
    a good mobo, I've just built a machine using it. You just need a keyboard
    and speakers and a CD-ROM maybe and you'll just about hit your price-point.
    No OS though, XP Pro OEM version is about $300. You could always forget the
    LCD monitor and get a 17" CRT and still come in well below your $1,500.

    You just got to put it together.

    If you want value and power for money AMD CPU/nForce2 chipset mobo is where
    it's at. If you need XP as well as an LCD then for that sort of money get a
    Dell (Hell) Celeron and within a year it'll be too slow to do anything on
    and next to inpossible to upgrade. The above system has twice the power,
    both CPU and graphics.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >
    > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video fine.
    > LCD monitor would be great as well..
    > P4 2.4ghz
    > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    As long as it's for your mum, and she doesn't plan to do any heavy gaming
    etc. The Warehouse (not their Staionary stores, but the red barns
    themselves have a cheap DELL system for $1,000 17" standard monitor which is
    a far cry from a 15" thing that were once quite common. And if your mum
    isn't going to spend all day and all night on it, a large standard monitor
    should be just fine.
    Looks like these things actuallly come with a CD copy of Windows going by
    the ad - along with MS Works V7.0. It would suit the needs of most lighter
    users.

    Depends on her needs... and better still if you're going to be paying for
    something that might get used only an our a day on average - in that case go
    for a 3 grand moderate power package that you can get the most use out of
    while keeping your mum off it.
    ;-)

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    > >
    > > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video
    > > fine. LCD monitor would be great as well..
    > > P4 2.4ghz
    > > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    > Case: Trendy tower case, 400W PSU (Not the best but cheap) $48 QMB
    >
    > Mobo: Soltek SL-75MRN. nForce2 chipset, integrated GeForce4 MX440
    > graphics, sound and LAN. $186 QMB
    >
    > CPU: AMD Barton 2500+ retail pack. $176 E-One
    >
    > HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7,200rpm, ATA100. $132 OEM
    >
    > RAM: TwinMOS 512MB DDR400 PC3200. $176 OEM
    >
    > Monitor: AOC 17" LCD. $647. E-One
    >
    > Mouse: MS Optical wheel mouse. $36. OEM
    >
    > There's a good starting point for you, $1,405 so far inc. GST. The Soltek

    is
    > a good mobo, I've just built a machine using it. You just need a keyboard
    > and speakers and a CD-ROM maybe and you'll just about hit your

    price-point.
    > No OS though, XP Pro OEM version is about $300. You could always forget

    the
    > LCD monitor and get a 17" CRT and still come in well below your $1,500.
    >
    > You just got to put it together.
    >
    > If you want value and power for money AMD CPU/nForce2 chipset mobo is

    where
    > it's at. If you need XP as well as an LCD then for that sort of money get

    > Dell (Hell) Celeron and within a year it'll be too slow to do anything on
    > and next to inpossible to upgrade. The above system has twice the power,
    > both CPU and graphics.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Only in your opinion. Many people are still using far older PCs than that.
    When it comes to real power your needs will never be met. The carrot will
    always be well out of your reach.
    Your little system doesn't come with a CD of Windows and MS Works which
    doesn't take a lot of grunt in order to get some use out of. And support
    for home built kitset PC would be damn near crap which would be next to
    useless for an older person that doesn't want to be buggered around with.
    The needs of each user are completely different and always need to be
    considered when someone is after a basic package that will do far more than
    they will most likely ever do on it anyway.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 12, 2003
  6. ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >>Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >>
    >>For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video
    >>fine. LCD monitor would be great as well..
    >>P4 2.4ghz
    >>HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    > Case: Trendy tower case, 400W PSU (Not the best but cheap) $48 QMB

    <snip>
    > Mouse: MS Optical wheel mouse. $36. OEM

    You forgot:

    1-2 hours putting together andinstalling software - $120

    Many occasions fielding phone calls from relatives you would rather not do tech
    support for... $priceless

    > There's a good starting point for you, $1,405 so far inc. GST. The Soltek is
    > a good mobo, I've just built a machine using it. You just need a keyboard
    > and speakers and a CD-ROM maybe and you'll just about hit your price-point.
    > No OS though, XP Pro OEM version is about $300. You could always forget the
    > LCD monitor and get a 17" CRT and still come in well below your $1,500.
    >
    > You just got to put it together.
    >
    > If you want value and power for money AMD CPU/nForce2 chipset mobo is where
    > it's at. If you need XP as well as an LCD then for that sort of money get a
    > Dell (Hell) Celeron and within a year it'll be too slow to do anything on
    > and next to inpossible to upgrade. The above system has twice the power,
    > both CPU and graphics.

    I have upgraded the CPU in IBM, Compaq, Dell and even an acer box. There is no
    problem

    A celeron is not too slow to do anything on.

    Nforce2 chipsets are compatibility nightmares. Stick with intel chipset, intel
    CPU, and you will have no instabilitys.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >>>
    >>> For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video
    >>> fine. LCD monitor would be great as well..
    >>> P4 2.4ghz
    >>> HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    >> Case: Trendy tower case, 400W PSU (Not the best but cheap) $48 QMB

    > <snip>
    >> Mouse: MS Optical wheel mouse. $36. OEM

    > You forgot:
    >
    > 1-2 hours putting together andinstalling software - $120

    This *is* nz.comp, I, probably wrongly, assumed a certain skill level, as in
    he may be able to build it for his ma.

    > Many occasions fielding phone calls from relatives you would rather
    > not do tech support for... $priceless

    Why would you need to field phone calls anymore for a home-built system if
    it's done right than you would for a pre-built one? You think buying a PC
    from The Warehouse (or anywhere else for that matter) for $1,500 that you're
    going to get phone support for anything other than major hardware failure?
    Face it, if the OP's ma isn't familiar with PCs he's gonna be fielding calls
    anyway.

    If you're buying a PC for a relative who isn't computer-savvy (and, not
    knowing the facts in this case, I'm not saying it applies here) you're
    setting yourself up for hours of 'tech support' anyway.

    >> There's a good starting point for you, $1,405 so far inc. GST. The
    >> Soltek is a good mobo, I've just built a machine using it. You just
    >> need a keyboard and speakers and a CD-ROM maybe and you'll just
    >> about hit your price-point. No OS though, XP Pro OEM version is
    >> about $300. You could always forget the LCD monitor and get a 17"
    >> CRT and still come in well below your $1,500.
    >>
    >> You just got to put it together.
    >>
    >> If you want value and power for money AMD CPU/nForce2 chipset mobo
    >> is where it's at. If you need XP as well as an LCD then for that
    >> sort of money get a Dell (Hell) Celeron and within a year it'll be
    >> too slow to do anything on and next to inpossible to upgrade. The
    >> above system has twice the power, both CPU and graphics.

    > I have upgraded the CPU in IBM, Compaq, Dell and even an acer box.
    > There is no problem

    I haven't had the pleasure of upgrading an Acer but I have the rest. I'ts
    doable but not easy. And we're only talking CPU here.

    > A celeron is not too slow to do anything on.

    I guess not if you're retired. :)

    > Nforce2 chipsets are compatibility nightmares. Stick with intel
    > chipset, intel CPU, and you will have no instabilitys.

    Baaa. :) I have put together numerous machines in the last few months
    using nforce2 chipsets, with various different hardware attached and haven't
    struck *one* problem. All machines out of here within a day and no
    call-backs.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
    >> Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>> Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >>>
    >>> For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video
    >>> fine. LCD monitor would be great as well..
    >>> P4 2.4ghz
    >>> HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    >> Case: Trendy tower case, 400W PSU (Not the best but cheap) $48 QMB
    >>
    >> Mobo: Soltek SL-75MRN. nForce2 chipset, integrated GeForce4 MX440
    >> graphics, sound and LAN. $186 QMB
    >>
    >> CPU: AMD Barton 2500+ retail pack. $176 E-One
    >>
    >> HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7,200rpm, ATA100. $132 OEM
    >>
    >> RAM: TwinMOS 512MB DDR400 PC3200. $176 OEM
    >>
    >> Monitor: AOC 17" LCD. $647. E-One
    >>
    >> Mouse: MS Optical wheel mouse. $36. OEM
    >>
    >> There's a good starting point for you, $1,405 so far inc. GST. The
    >> Soltek is a good mobo, I've just built a machine using it. You just
    >> need a keyboard and speakers and a CD-ROM maybe and you'll just
    >> about hit your price-point. No OS though, XP Pro OEM version is
    >> about $300. You could always forget the LCD monitor and get a 17"
    >> CRT and still come in well below your $1,500.
    >>
    >> You just got to put it together.
    >>
    >> If you want value and power for money AMD CPU/nForce2 chipset mobo
    >> is where it's at. If you need XP as well as an LCD then for that
    >> sort of money get a Dell (Hell) Celeron and within a year it'll be
    >> too slow to do anything on and next to inpossible to upgrade. The
    >> above system has twice the power, both CPU and graphics.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Only in your opinion.

    Obviously. Do I need to write that in my sig? Most people here are speaking
    in their own opinion. Aren't you?

    > Many people are still using far older PCs than
    > that. When it comes to real power your needs will never be met. The
    > carrot will always be well out of your reach.

    No harm in trying though is there?

    > Your little system doesn't come with a CD of Windows and MS Works
    > which doesn't take a lot of grunt in order to get some use out of.

    I suggested an option using a CRT and an OEM version of XP Pro which does
    come on a CD, strangely enough. An OEM version of Works, including Word and
    Money, can be had for around $120 if bought at the same time.

    The OP said he wanted XP Pro, minimum spec. Very, very few budget systems
    come with Pro. He also said P4 2.4. Why is that do you think? What makes
    your suggestion of a <spew> Celeron system running XP Home any more valid
    than my suggestion?

    > And support for home built kitset PC would be damn near crap which
    > would be next to useless for an older person that doesn't want to be
    > buggered around with.

    What support do you need? Most, if not all hardware has at least a year
    warranty. What support do you think the Warehouse is going to offer with
    that Dell you mentioned? If the PC is built by a knowledgable person the
    only support that may be needed is training. Not many retailers offer that,
    especially at $1,500. You reckon you can ring the Warehouse and get them to
    walk you through setting up OE for email and newsgroups?

    > The needs of each user are completely different
    > and always need to be considered when someone is after a basic
    > package that will do far more than they will most likely ever do on
    > it anyway.

    Agreed. However, what's to say his mother isn't going to suddenly discover
    the joys of gaming? I know a few older people with time on their hands who
    have bought a budget machine and found themselves wanting to play a game
    that their PC isn't capable of. I was merely offering an option that would
    help to prevent this scenario.

    The OP asked for "any suggestions" and I gave him one. I guess next time I
    should check with you first.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Hi there,

    Io wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >

    >>Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >>
    >>For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video fine.

    >>LCD monitor would be great as well..

    > 15" & 17" ones have really come down in price.
    >

    >>P4 2.4ghz

    > an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ would be ~155$ cheaper, an Athlon XP 2700+ ~50$
    > cheaper. Make sure the motherboard doesn't have a "VIA chipset" though.

    Why not Via? I'm running an Asrock K7VM4 mobo with Barton core AthlonXP
    2500+, 8x GeForceFX5600, 512 DDR333 RAM and it honks! Thats with the Via
    KM400 chipset...oh, and Mandrake Linux instead of Windows...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 13, 2003
  10. Craig Sutton

    Lebowski Guest

    > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    >
    > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video fine.
    > LCD monitor would be great as well..
    > P4 2.4ghz
    > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    The Dell Warehouse computer for $999.99 is a good one to consider. 2.4ghz
    Celeron, 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, integrated audio / video / network cards, cd
    writer, xp home (ready to go), ms works, 90 days of nortons and a 17''
    monitor. Not LCD, but it's only for your mum, right? I think it's a
    reasonable entry level pc for someone who doesn't intend to be a heavy
    gamer.

    Lebowski, Dec 13, 2003
  11. ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>Nforce2 chipsets are compatibility nightmares. Stick with intel
    >>chipset, intel CPU, and you will have no instabilitys.

    > Baaa. :) I have put together numerous machines in the last few months
    > using nforce2 chipsets, with various different hardware attached and haven't
    > struck *one* problem. All machines out of here within a day and no
    > call-backs.

    I have 4 cards here that refuse to run in an nforce-2 board, drivers install and
    then dont start because of "insufficiant resources"

    They are

    PCI-PCMCIA/Cardbus carrier based on TI chipset
    Same with a Ricoh chipset
    PCI USB2 and Firewire card
    And a 4 port LAN card

    Promise raid cards also do not run properly, it was always freesign for 10-15
    seconds when accessing the drives.

    My soundcard got numerous missed samples when running in the nforce board, Fine
    in an intel chipsetted celeron 466 and in the celeron 2000 its in now.

    Infact since changing motherboard, I have not seen an IRQ LESS THEN bluescreen
    ever, it was a twice weekly occurance on the nforce machine, That machine has an
    SIS chipsetted board now.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 13, 2003
  12. >>And support for home built kitset PC would be damn near crap which
    >>would be next to useless for an older person that doesn't want to be
    >>buggered around with.

    > What support do you need? Most, if not all hardware has at least a year
    > warranty. What support do you think the Warehouse is going to offer with
    > that Dell you mentioned? If the PC is built by a knowledgable person the
    > only support that may be needed is training. Not many retailers offer that,
    > especially at $1,500. You reckon you can ring the Warehouse and get them to
    > walk you through setting up OE for email and newsgroups?

    With a preassembled box, you take the unit in and they will fix or replace it,
    with parts, you need to diagnose the faulty part, pull it out, take it in, prove
    its faulty which is hard with ram, wait for them to give you another. Much more
    work.

    For setting up OE for mail and news, most ISPs will take you thru that process
    free of charge. If the software becomes faulty, the pre assembled box will have
    a recovery cd, the one out of bits will take longer to get back to an operatable
    state after for example a virus infection or similar.

    Maybe you like giving your time to relatives, I prefer to spend my time on myself.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 13, 2003
  13. Craig Sutton

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:33:03 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith
    <> wrote:

    >I have 4 cards here that refuse to run in an nforce-2 board, drivers install and
    >then dont start because of "insufficiant resources"
    >
    >They are
    >
    >PCI-PCMCIA/Cardbus carrier based on TI chipset
    >Same with a Ricoh chipset
    >PCI USB2 and Firewire card
    >And a 4 port LAN card
    >
    >Promise raid cards also do not run properly, it was always freesign for 10-15
    >seconds when accessing the drives.
    >
    >My soundcard got numerous missed samples when running in the nforce board, Fine
    >in an intel chipsetted celeron 466 and in the celeron 2000 its in now.
    >
    >Infact since changing motherboard, I have not seen an IRQ LESS THEN bluescreen
    >ever, it was a twice weekly occurance on the nforce machine, That machine has an
    >SIS chipsetted board now.

    What a load of rubbish.

    Obviously, you have a faulty board. Nothing more, nothing less.

    That's like saying that, because I once had a faulty Thermaltake Power
    Supply, all Thermaltake Power Supplies are faulty.

    Gurble, Dec 13, 2003
  14. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message news:r8sCb.27463
    > > 1-2 hours putting together andinstalling software - $120

    > This *is* nz.comp, I, probably wrongly, assumed a certain skill level, as

    in
    > he may be able to build it for his ma.

    Nah i don't mind paying a bit extra and having them assemble the unit

    > > Many occasions fielding phone calls from relatives you would rather
    > > not do tech support for... $priceless

    > Why would you need to field phone calls anymore for a home-built system if
    > it's done right than you would for a pre-built one? You think buying a PC
    > from The Warehouse (or anywhere else for that matter) for $1,500 that

    you're
    > going to get phone support for anything other than major hardware failure?
    > Face it, if the OP's ma isn't familiar with PCs he's gonna be fielding

    calls
    > anyway.

    She's quite familiar with pc's, it will be setup in my office here right
    next to mine so no problem with "support"

    Craig Sutton, Dec 13, 2003
  15. Craig Sutton

    joe_90 Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
    > Nforce2 chipsets are compatibility nightmares. Stick with intel chipset,
    > intel CPU, and you will have no instabilitys.

    Nah, stick with IBM PC's because anything else is only 'compatible'.

    joe_90, Dec 13, 2003
  16. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    > >
    > > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video fine.
    > > LCD monitor would be great as well..
    > > P4 2.4ghz
    > > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also

    > As long as it's for your mum, and she doesn't plan to do any heavy gaming
    > etc. The Warehouse (not their Staionary stores, but the red barns
    > themselves have a cheap DELL system for $1,000

    Looked at that its crap. Limited 256megs, win xp home etc

    17" standard monitor which is
    > a far cry from a 15" thing that were once quite common. And if your mum
    > isn't going to spend all day and all night on it, a large standard monitor
    > should be just fine.

    The LCD was for space reasons

    > Looks like these things actuallly come with a CD copy of Windows going by
    > the ad - along with MS Works V7.0. It would suit the needs of most

    lighter
    > users.
    >
    > Depends on her needs... and better still if you're going to be paying for
    > something that might get used only an our a day on average - in that case

    go
    > for a 3 grand moderate power package that you can get the most use out of
    > while keeping your mum off it.

    No I will be picking up my own new machine next year. The $1500 box was
    going to be a christmas gift. Her Compaq 566mhz celeron laptops just a bit
    past its useby date so she wants a desktop.

    Craig Sutton, Dec 13, 2003
  17. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Lebowski" <> wrote in message

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > > Any suggestions for a computer around the $1500 price mark?
    > >
    > > For my mum minimum specs, XP pro, 512megs, onboard sound and video fine.
    > > LCD monitor would be great as well..
    > > P4 2.4ghz
    > > HD 40 /60 or bigger fine also
    > >

    > The Dell Warehouse computer for $999.99 is a good one to consider. 2.4ghz
    > Celeron, 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, integrated audio / video / network cards, cd
    > writer, xp home (ready to go), ms works, 90 days of nortons and a 17''
    > monitor. Not LCD, but it's only for your mum, right? I think it's a
    > reasonable entry level pc for someone who doesn't intend to be a heavy
    > gamer.

    Its a toy, doesn't meet my minimum specs in terms of cpu and memory and O.S

    Try running XP in 256megs when your onboard graphics is using 32-64megs of
    shared memory...
    no mention of chipset motherboard etc..

    Craig Sutton, Dec 13, 2003
  18. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:09:35 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Why not Via? I'm running an Asrock K7VM4 mobo with Barton core AthlonXP
    > 2500+, 8x GeForceFX5600, 512 DDR333 RAM and it honks! Thats with the Via
    > KM400 chipset...oh, and Mandrake Linux instead of Windows...

    From my limited reading the AMD Barton core CPU is the exception to the
    rule. It goes faster and it costs less. Interia must be ruling okay as
    Barton is only starting to appear in the ads.

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2003
  19. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:03:33 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    > Nforce2 chipsets are compatibility nightmares. Stick with intel chipset, intel
    > CPU, and you will have no instabilitys.

    Sorry but comments such as this leave me wondering, and bemused.

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2003
  20. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:22:32 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > That's like saying that, because I once had a faulty Thermaltake Power
    > Supply, all Thermaltake Power Supplies are faulty.

    One swallow, does not a summer make. An old saying.

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2003