    MS Windows XP Home - $184
    Assembly and Testing - $40

    --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST
    Craig Sutton, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Craig Sutton

    sal Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:34:43 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    >screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any coments?
    >

    >Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    >Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    >2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    >Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    >AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    >Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    >A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    >BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    >Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    >Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    >Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    >MS Windows XP Home - $184
    >Assembly and Testing - $40
    >
    >--------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    You would almost be better getting a dell from the warehouse for $999.
    sal, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Craig Sutton

    Matthias Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any coments?
    >

    > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > Assembly and Testing - $40
    >
    > --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    If you had a bigger budget to work with, I would consider the Shuttle a
    great choice, but in a $1500 system you are probably better off getting
    a boring beige box and not cut corners on everything else.

    -- Matthias
    Matthias, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Craig Sutton

    Hoover Guest

    looks good but I would be going for an LCD if thats a shuttle system ?? ya
    cant buy a shuttle and not have an LCD screen to go with it lol

    I want one of these..
    http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/barebone/specs_b.asp?B_id=23

    Hoover, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Craig Sutton

    DUser Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:34:43 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any coments?
    >

    > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > Assembly and Testing - $40
    >
    > --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    You will need a video card
    Either that or use the SK43G if available
    or the SN41G2 and drop back to a 133 FSB CPU
    Choices choices
    I built up the SN41G2 with a XP1800 for my SIL, and it was a great
    solution.
    Someone posted recently about having trouble with the Nforce2 and wireless
    though
    If you went for a GA7VM400M that paradigm are currently using for their
    upgrade kit package, and an ordinary case you would probably save $200 or
    so, (but the shuttles are v sexy).
    Your option costs $819 for the case CPU Mobo and Ram
    Without the shuttle option it would be $80 + 183 + 126 + 142 = $531 and
    includes graphics, saving 288, which added to your Monitor price 228 + 288
    = 516 would damn near buy the LCD.
    DUser, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "sal" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:34:43 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > >screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any

    coments?

    > >Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > >Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > >2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > >Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > >AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > >Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > >A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > >BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > >Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > >Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > >Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > >MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > >Assembly and Testing - $40
    > >
    > >--------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST
    > >

    > You would almost be better getting a dell from the warehouse for $999.

    No been through all that the Dells very very low end
    Craig Sutton, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Matthias" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    > > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any

    coments?

    > > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > > Assembly and Testing - $40
    > >
    > > --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    > If you had a bigger budget to work with, I would consider the Shuttle a
    > great choice, but in a $1500 system you are probably better off getting
    > a boring beige box and not cut corners on everything else.

    Idea of having the shuttle was for space reasons.
    Craig Sutton, Dec 15, 2003
  8. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "DUser" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:34:43 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    > > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any

    coments?

    > > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > > Assembly and Testing - $40
    > >
    > > --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    > You will need a video card
    > Either that or use the SK43G if available
    > or the SN41G2 and drop back to a 133 FSB CPU
    > Choices choices

    Yes whoops they forgot about that! $1870 all up, bit of a budget blowout
    lets see if my brother will cough up some christmas cash and contribute.

    Heres the updated version
    Shuttle SN41G2 nForce2 - $539
    Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    BenQ 15" LCD Screen - $505
    MS Windows XP Home - $184
    Assembly and Testing - $40
    Craig Sutton, Dec 15, 2003
  9. Craig Sutton

    sal Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:50:45 +1300, Hoover <> wrote:

    >looks good but I would be going for an LCD if thats a shuttle system ?? ya
    >cant buy a shuttle and not have an LCD screen to go with it lol
    >
    >I want one of these..
    >http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/barebone/specs_b.asp?B_id=23
    >
    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    >> screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any coments?
    >>
    >> Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    >> Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    >> 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    >> Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    >> AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    >> Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    >> A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    >> BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    >> Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    >> Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    >> Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    >> MS Windows XP Home - $184
    >> Assembly and Testing - $40
    >>
    >> --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    Totally agree, LCDs are such a good price now that I don't know why
    people are buying CRTs for normal office use.
    sal, Dec 15, 2003
  10. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:34:43 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any coments?

    [snip]
    > MS Windows XP Home - $184

    Mandrake, say. Another saying and another and another. After all your
    Mother is not PC dumb.

    Gordon, Dec 15, 2003
  11. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:17:08 +1300, sal wrote:

    > Totally agree, LCDs are such a good price now that I don't know why
    > people are buying CRTs for normal office use.

    PSST! Talk to the bean counter. We are not comparing LCD prices of now and
    then but now prices of LCD and CRT.

    Gordon, Dec 15, 2003
  12. Craig Sutton

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:33:08 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Idea of having the shuttle was for space reasons.

    No that was for the spin drs.

    Gordon, Dec 15, 2003
  13. Craig Sutton

    DUser Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:36:55 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "DUser" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:34:43 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    >> > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any

    > coments?
    >> >

    >> > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    >> > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    >> > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    >> > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    >> > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    >> > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    >> > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    >> > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    >> > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    >> > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    >> > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    >> > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    >> > Assembly and Testing - $40
    >> >
    >> > --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    >> You will need a video card
    >> Either that or use the SK43G if available
    >> or the SN41G2 and drop back to a 133 FSB CPU
    >> Choices choices

    > Yes whoops they forgot about that! $1870 all up, bit of a budget blowout
    > lets see if my brother will cough up some christmas cash and contribute.
    >

    > Heres the updated version
    > Shuttle SN41G2 nForce2 - $539
    > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > BenQ 15" LCD Screen - $505
    > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > Assembly and Testing - $40

    Sounds great, I reckon for Mums the LCD is a good thing, and the shuttle
    has a really stylish look next to one.
    DUser, Dec 15, 2003
  14. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any
    > coments?
    >

    > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > Assembly and Testing - $40
    >
    > --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    Sounds good.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2003
  15. sal wrote:

    > Totally agree, LCDs are such a good price now that I don't know why
    > people are buying CRTs for normal office use.

    Resolution, Size.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 15, 2003
  16. Craig Sutton

    Io Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any coments?
    >
    > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183

    You can get that CPU for less from elsewhere.

    > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142

    You can get 1x512mb PC3200 for the same price or less.

    > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115

    You can buy that hdd elsewhere for $15 less. You can buy the 80gb model of
    that hdd for $5 more. Get an 80gb hdd :)

    > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25

    Buy a 2nd hand 1.44mb floppy drive for $3. There's literally hundreds of
    millions of the things in old retired computers, there's no good reason for
    their continued production

    > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > Assembly and Testing - $40

    I suppose you could get someone who knows computers to put it together for you
    and save $40
    Io, Dec 15, 2003
  17. Craig Sutton

    Foo Man Guest

    > > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    >
    > You can get 1x512mb PC3200 for the same price or less.

    Yeah, but you wouldn't want a single channel of RAM on that wee
    Shuttle box. It's an NForce2 M/B with dual channel ram and an inbuilt
    GF4MX video. You'd need two slots filled to get the dual channel
    operating - it's about 5% faster overall and up to 40% faster on
    graphical apps (e.g. games). A single slot of ram is a bottleneck to
    the onboard video.

    FM
    Foo Man, Dec 15, 2003
  18. Craig Sutton

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "Matthias" <> wrote in message
    > > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hows this, for my mums machine, Have had to cut a few corners, the LCD
    > > > screens gone out the window as has, XP pro (saved $100 there) any

    > coments?
    > > >

    > > > Shuttle SN45G nForce2 - $494
    > > > Athlon 2500XP Barton - $183
    > > > 2x256MB PC3200 Memory - $142
    > > > Seagate 40GB 7200rpm HDD - $115
    > > > AOpen 52x CD-Writer - $82
    > > > Panasonic Floppy Disk Drive - $25
    > > > A4Tech Swop-25 Optical Mouse - $22
    > > > BTC Standard Keyboard - $13
    > > > Internal 56k V92 Modem - $37
    > > > Auriga FS-210 Speakers - $21
    > > > Samsung 17" Monitor - $228
    > > > MS Windows XP Home - $184
    > > > Assembly and Testing - $40
    > > >
    > > > --------------------Total Cash Discounted Price $1586 inc GST

    > > If you had a bigger budget to work with, I would consider the Shuttle a
    > > great choice, but in a $1500 system you are probably better off getting
    > > a boring beige box and not cut corners on everything else.
    > >

    > Idea of having the shuttle was for space reasons.

    You know what you want.
    For a neat system with a 15" LCD it's hard to beat a laptop - for space
    reasons of course, and being able to easily move the thing around.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 15, 2003
  19. Craig Sutton

    Rider Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Matthias" <> wrote in message

    LCD

    > > coments?

    > > > If you had a bigger budget to work with, I would consider the Shuttle

    > > > great choice, but in a $1500 system you are probably better off

    getting
    > > > a boring beige box and not cut corners on everything else.
    > > >

    > > Idea of having the shuttle was for space reasons.

    > You know what you want.
    > For a neat system with a 15" LCD it's hard to beat a laptop - for space
    > reasons of course, and being able to easily move the thing around.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    If you really want to save on space, get a Cappucino or Espresso pc. Its
    about the size of an internal cd-rom :)
    Rider, Dec 15, 2003
  20. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > You know what you want.
    > For a neat system with a 15" LCD it's hard to beat a laptop - for space
    > reasons of course, and being able to easily move the thing around.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    She's already got a laptop...
    Craig Sutton, Dec 16, 2003