    What is the minimum speed these games can happily run at?

    Cheers,
    Matthew Long

    Matthew Long, Apr 22, 2008

  2. Matthew Long

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:10:56 +0100, "Matthew Long" <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know what kb/s data rate typical online racing games need?

    Depends on the game.

    >Getting fed up with our Virgin broadband in the evenings, and done a couple
    >of speed tests, and it's running at 156kb/s!!!

    That's a 1.5 meg connection. What are you paying for?

    >Thing is, Mario kart Wii is running perfectly online! Absolutely no lag
    >whatsoever, even when playing against people over in Japan, USA etc! And no
    >disconnections from Wifi!
    >
    >What is the minimum speed these games can happily run at?

    Generally online games don't need 'speed' as much as latency to the
    server the game is on.

    Evan Platt, Apr 22, 2008

  3. Matthew Long

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:10:56 +0100, Matthew Long wrote:

    At least your link to aioe for Usenet works fine.

    >Does anyone know what kb/s data rate typical online racing games need?
    >Getting fed up with our Virgin broadband in the evenings, and done a couple
    >of speed tests, and it's running at 156kb/s!!!

    Did you forget to mention which broadband, ex NTL ADSL, ex NTL BB, ex BY
    BB and the speed of the package.

    Speed tests, don't rely to much on them, more so in the evenings and if
    they are off the VM network to well places like other countries.

    156kb/sec is just a tad slow even for ADSL, and BB is something like
    4,10,20Mbps. You did mean kb and not KB? The packages are generally for
    VM given in bits, so it's easier to work that way, saves converting.

    >Thing is, Mario kart Wii is running perfectly online! Absolutely no lag
    >whatsoever, even when playing against people over in Japan, USA etc! And no
    >disconnections from Wifi!
    >
    >What is the minimum speed these games can happily run at?

    www.google.com the obvious search,

    GameSpot Forums - Mario Kart Wii - Would my internet be fast enouth?
    I'd really like to buy Mario Kart Wii, as a present for myself for ...
    if other people could run tests and work out their speeds, and then post
    them up, ...
    www.gamespot.com/wii/driving/mariokart/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-42699526&pid=942008
    - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

    Would guess nintendo as well, also from www.google.com

    nintendo.com.au - News from Nintendo
    Connect your Wii to the internet, and Mario Kart Wii is an online
    multiplayer .... Those who have a high-speed Internet connection such as
    cable or DSL, ...
    www.nintendo.com.au/nintendo/news/ - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

    Don't forget newsgroups maybe,
    virginmedia.users.self-help

    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
    - use this support group to post diags, report issues.

    virginmedia.discussion.broadband

    Didn't even know these existed, until looking on the VM server,
    virginmedia.gaming.console
    virginmedia.gaming.console.wii

    Wouldn't bet on there not being less than 2 games / console forums for
    the Wii either.

    Me

    why?, Apr 23, 2008