    David Guest

    How do I updgrade builds without losing all my files and programs? I'm
    on 1443 and I want to upgrade to 1830.

    David, Jun 7, 2005

  2. David

    Sam Guest

    Boot into your current version of XP64, put your newest
    version that you made into cdrom drive and when it starts
    up choose upgrade. Thats it.....

    Sam, Jun 7, 2005

  3. David

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    Not Supported or Recomended by Microsoft. When in Doubt, Clean Install.

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 7, 2005
  4. David

    David Guest

    How do I get the new version (1830)? I'm on the 1 year beta.

    David, Jun 7, 2005
  5. David

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    Here is an Excerpt from Below:

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to upgrade to another build? I am a 1-year beta user
    > running 1443.

    Ideally you should cleanly install the final released product.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 7, 2005
  6. David

    David Guest

    Well, I don't want to lose all my programs :( But if I should do it, I
    guess I will. Where do I get it (1830)? What if I lost my CD-key?

    David, Jun 7, 2005
  7. David

    James Park Guest

    1. You can buy it from a store (i.e. www.newegg.com) for about $150.

    2. If the manufacturer of your computer is offering a trade-in for your
    32-bit version of XP Pro, you can opt for that for just the cost of shipping
    (which seems to have other fees embedded in it, but I digress). I know
    Dell's program allows you to switch back to 32-bit if you want; I don't know
    about the others.

    3. You can trade in your 32-bit XP Pro (OEM or Retail) to Microsoft
    themselves (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx),
    again for the cost of shipping (which actually looks like a shipping cost).
    However, this program does NOT let you use your 32-bit license ever again,
    so be sure that you're happy with x64 before going with this option. There
    is a downloadable trial for RTM 1830 available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx.

    James Park, Jun 7, 2005
  8. David

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    You are SOL if you lost your Product Key. You can download a Free 120 Day
    Trial Version from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx or you can
    buy the Full Version from your Favorite System Builder (I would suggest
    newegg.com if you live in the U.S.A.).

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 7, 2005
  9. David

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    I forgot to mention that you can also get a Free Trade in (If You Qualify)
    from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 7, 2005
  10. David

    David Guest

    Aha, found my product key. Now, where can I download 1830?

    David, Jun 7, 2005
  11. David

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    The only thing you can download is the Free 120 Day Trial Version located at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx (Only
    Official Microsoft Beta Tester's Enrolled in the Official Microsoft Beta
    Program located at http://beta.microsoft.com will be able to Download the
    Full Version of the Final Product. If you do not have login access to
    http://beta.microsoft.com then you are not an Official Microsoft Beta
    Tester. Instead, you are a Microsoft Public Preview Tester (who don't get a
    Free Download of the Final Product , by the way). To become an Official
    Microsoft Beta Tester, go to http://beta.microsoft.com and use the Guest ID
    BetaReq.

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 7, 2005
  12. David

    David Guest

    I signed up at beta.microsoft.com, now what :p

    David, Jun 7, 2005
  13. David

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    P.S. Official Microsoft Beta Tester's were previously givin a Newer Beta
    Build Newer then 1433 (RC2), but older then the 1830 (RTM), right before the
    Beta was over. Since you do not have it, I would have to believe that you

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 7, 2005
  14. David

    David Guest

    Well, winver says my trial expires on March 26, 2006 (1 year from
    install date of 1443), so I'm not really sure what I am...Do you have
    any other form of contact, such as AIM, MSNM, YIM, ICQ, etc?

    David, Jun 7, 2005
  15. David

    David Guest

    Here is a screen of my winver, if this helps...
    http://img260.echo.cx/img260/8126/winver6np.jpg

    David, Jun 7, 2005
  16. "David" <> wrote in message
    > Here is a screen of my winver, if this helps...
    > http://img260.echo.cx/img260/8126/winver6np.jpg
    >
    > David wrote:
    >> Well, winver says my trial expires on March 26, 2006 (1 year from install
    >> date of 1443), so I'm not really sure what I am...Do you have any other
    >> form of contact, such as AIM, MSNM, YIM, ICQ, etc?

    David,

    Your options have already been given to you in all the other replies so far.
    So either
    Buy the x64 product
    or
    if you have an x64 machine currently running a 32-bit XP licenses you can
    trade that license in for an x64 one (Note you do loose your 32-bit
    license).

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 7, 2005
  17. David

    David Guest

    Mike, I have an x64 machine running an x64 trial that expires in ~ 1 year...

    David, Jun 7, 2005
  18. David

    John Barnes Guest

    Yours wasn't a trial and expired with RTM regardless of the expiration date
    shown.

    John Barnes, Jun 7, 2005
  19. If you already had standardized on x64 hardware from its debut in 2003 with
    32-bit Windows XP and was waiting on the release of Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition just to do a simple upgrade, think again. There is not upgrade
    path from Windows XP 32-bit or 32-bit installations of Windows to Windows
    x64.

    Users have the option of doing a dual boot installation however with 32 bit
    Windows, but problems can occur preparing the partition to install Windows
    XP Professional x64 on, so make sure you back up all your data before doing
    so. Also ensure that you have F6 drivers ready for your SATA/RAID hard disk
    during setup. You cannot begin the installation of Windows XP Professional
    x64 from within 32-bit Windows, you have to boot off the CD-ROM, so ensure
    that your have your boot configuration set to CD-ROM Drive first.

    Other upgrade paths:
    Some persons who were able to test Windows XP Professional x64 during beta
    stages and Corporate Previews are asking about upgrade paths to the final
    version. Yes, it is possible, but not recommended or supported, there can be
    unknown glitches that can make it more difficult to diagnose the problem or
    suggest appropriate fixes. So a clean install is the best recommendation in
    such cases.

    If you choose to test out Windows XP Professional x64 with the RTM trial
    copy and it has expired after 120 to 180days, users have the option of doing
    what is called an inplace upgrade to full Windows XP Professional x64
    without losing any data, but as with any upgrades, still do a backup.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 7, 2005
  20. David

    John Barnes Guest

    They only have the option to dual boot if they
    A. Purchase the full version or
    B. Obtain the test version.
    The 32 bit license is cancelled when they
    opt for the exchange program.

    John Barnes, Jun 7, 2005