    Lan.

    How Big is the PSU

    He might be able to miss the 3D card option as he in not into games

    Brian Mathews, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Brian    Mathews

    BTMO Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote

    > A friend was asking about this, can it take 3 extra cards, Sound, 3D and
    > Lan.

    > How Big is the PSU

    > He might be able to miss the 3D card option as he in not into games

    I understand it is Utter Crap....

    ;-)

    BTMO, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Brian    Mathews

    XPD Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    > A friend was asking about this, can it take 3 extra cards, Sound, 3D and
    > Lan.
    >

    > How Big is the PSU
    >

    > He might be able to miss the 3D card option as he in not into games

    Most Dell systems do NOT come with AGP slots at all.... which is a sod cause
    I get a decent discount thru work for Dell stuff but no AGP puts me off.....
    The high end Dell systems do have PCI-e suport though.

    XPD, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Brian    Mathews

    David Preece Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > A friend was asking about this, can it take 3 extra cards, Sound, 3D and
    > Lan.

    You could buy a real computer for that.
    http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/emac/

    Dave

    David Preece, Dec 3, 2004
  5. In article <e_Wrd.21859$> in nz.comp on Fri, 3
    Dec 2004 23:12:30 +1300, BTMO <> says...

    > "Brian Mathews" <> wrote
    >
    > > A friend was asking about this, can it take 3 extra cards, Sound, 3D and
    > > Lan.

    > > How Big is the PSU

    > > He might be able to miss the 3D card option as he in not into games

    > I understand it is Utter Crap....

    LOL

    Patrick Dunford, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Brian    Mathews

    rupert Guest

    hmmm that sounds like a tui's ad

    Yeah right!

    rupert, Dec 4, 2004
  7. XPD wrote:
    > Most Dell systems do NOT come with AGP slots at all.... which is a sod cause
    > I get a decent discount thru work for Dell stuff but no AGP puts me off.....
    > The high end Dell systems do have PCI-e suport though.

    well tell that to the 1500 odd machines we have at work with AGP slots.
    entry level Optiplex machines.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 4, 2004
  8. David Preece wrote:
    >> A friend was asking about this, can it take 3 extra cards, Sound, 3D
    >> and
    >> Lan.

    > You could buy a real computer for that.
    > http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/emac/

    had a look and didn't see any at the url provided...

    :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 4, 2004
  9. Brian    Mathews

    XPD Guest

    > XPD wrote:
    > > Most Dell systems do NOT come with AGP slots at all.... which is a sod

    cause
    > > I get a decent discount thru work for Dell stuff but no AGP puts me

    off.....
    > > The high end Dell systems do have PCI-e suport though.

    > well tell that to the 1500 odd machines we have at work with AGP slots.
    > entry level Optiplex machines.

    Weird...... Ill have to rip apart my new work machine on Monday then but
    from the specs Ive looked at theres no AGP - maybe the specs I read are old
    or somehting... will look into further :)

    XPD, Dec 4, 2004
  10. XPD wrote:
    >>>I get a decent discount thru work for Dell stuff but no AGP puts me
    >>> off.....
    >>>The high end Dell systems do have PCI-e suport though.

    >>well tell that to the 1500 odd machines we have at work with AGP slots.
    >>entry level Optiplex machines.

    > Weird...... Ill have to rip apart my new work machine on Monday then but
    > from the specs Ive looked at theres no AGP - maybe the specs I read are old
    > or somehting... will look into further :)

    We got the Optiplex GX240/260/270 and they all have AGP...
    Some even have Nvidia GF FX cards in them for some in IT for playing
    Doom3... I mean cad work or something.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 4, 2004
  11. Brian    Mathews

    thing Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> well tell that to the 1500 odd machines we have at work with AGP slots.
    >>> entry level Optiplex machines.

    >> Weird...... Ill have to rip apart my new work machine on Monday then but
    >> from the specs Ive looked at theres no AGP - maybe the specs I read
    >> are old
    >> or somehting... will look into further :)

    > We got the Optiplex GX240/260/270 and they all have AGP...
    > Some even have Nvidia GF FX cards in them for some in IT for playing
    > Doom3... I mean cad work or something.

    ah CAD very importnat, that is why we added AGP cards to some of our
    Dells.....

    ;]

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Dec 4, 2004
  12. Brian    Mathews

    mark Guest

    David Preece <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: $1400 DELL at the Warehouse..
    > From: David Preece <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > Brian Mathews wrote:
    >> A friend was asking about this, can it take 3 extra cards, Sound, 3D
    >> and Lan.

    > You could buy a real computer for that.
    > http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/emac/
    >
    > Dave

    A G4? Next you'll be suggesting people use outdated things like Pentium
    4's.

    AT least have the decency to suggest something with dual G5 processors :)

    mark, Dec 6, 2004
  13. mark wrote:
    >>>A friend was asking about this, can it take 3 extra cards, Sound, 3D
    >>> and Lan.

    >>You could buy a real computer for that.
    >>http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/emac/

    > A G4? Next you'll be suggesting people use outdated things like Pentium
    > 4's.

    > AT least have the decency to suggest something with dual G5 processors :)

    heh, not available in that price range... and hardly in the next one
    either^...
    http://store.apple.co.nz/public/product/group.php?pgid=AP03

    You can get it for $3920+GST but thats for the slowest model with no
    monitor, 256MB Ram(!) and a budget Video card(FX5200).

    Personally I'd only consder the top end one "worth it" for me. but at
    $5775+GST, it just isn't worth trying to convince my wife.

    ^
    sub $2k being this one.
    $2k-5k being the next.
    $5k-10k being the next.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 6, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> AT least have the decency to suggest something with dual G5 processors :)

    > heh, not available in that price range... and hardly in the next one
    > either^...
    > http://store.apple.co.nz/public/product/group.php?pgid=AP03

    > You can get it for $3920+GST but thats for the slowest model with no
    > monitor, 256MB Ram(!) and a budget Video card(FX5200).

    > Personally I'd only consder the top end one "worth it" for me. but at
    > $5775+GST, it just isn't worth trying to convince my wife.

    heh, not only that, but to add 2GB of ram to it, they charge another
    $1,113.78 + GST and $45 + GST to install it...

    you would think that if Im paying another $1250 for an extra 1.5GB of
    ram(pricespy says $459 x 2 for faster ram), that I'd get it installed
    for free.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 6, 2004
  15. In <> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>You could buy a real computer for that.
    >>>http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/emac/

    >> A G4? Next you'll be suggesting people use outdated things like
    >> Pentium 4's.

    >> AT least have the decency to suggest something with dual G5
    >> processors :)

    > heh, not available in that price range... and hardly in the next one
    > either^...
    > http://store.apple.co.nz/public/product/group.php?pgid=AP03
    >
    > You can get it for $3920+GST but thats for the slowest model with no
    > monitor, 256MB Ram(!) and a budget Video card(FX5200).
    >
    > Personally I'd only consder the top end one "worth it" for me. but at
    > $5775+GST, it just isn't worth trying to convince my wife.

    Tell her it's the only way you can drive the 30" LCD display you've
    already bought for $6540+GST (drool, drool)

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 6, 2004
  16. Brian    Mathews

    David Preece Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > Tell her it's the only way you can drive the 30" LCD display you've
    > already bought for $6540+GST (drool, drool)

    Plus an extra grand for a Geforce 6800 Ultra DDL.

    Like, holy shit.

    I've actually seen one of these, btw, and it's *almost* worth the money.

    Dave

    David Preece, Dec 6, 2004
  17. Brian    Mathews

    David Preece Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > you would think that if Im paying another $1250 for an extra 1.5GB of
    > ram(pricespy says $459 x 2 for faster ram), that I'd get it installed
    > for free.

    You would've thunk it, eh?

    Nothing stopping you sticking "ordinary" RAM in a G5.

    Dave

    David Preece, Dec 6, 2004
  18. Brian    Mathews

    David Preece Guest

    mark wrote:
    > A G4?

    I use a G4.

    > Next you'll be suggesting people use outdated things like Pentium
    > 4's.

    Euuuww. Nearest thing is a Pentium M. Almost exactly the same thing as a
    G4, as best I can tell.

    > AT least have the decency to suggest something with dual G5 processors :)

    Nice, but not for a grand and a half. Sadly.

    Dave

    David Preece, Dec 6, 2004