    Scotius Guest

    I'm already a policy holder with All State, so maybe that's
    why, but I'm pretty happy with it...
    Scotius, Jul 15, 2010

  2. Scotius

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:24:02 -0400, Scotius wrote:

    > I'm already a policy holder with All State, so maybe that's why, but I'm
    > pretty happy with it...

    Yeah - hell of a deal. OTOH, I've gone my entire adult life without ever
    needing anything like that, so I've saved over $600.
    ray, Jul 15, 2010

  3. Scotius

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jul 15, 2:10 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2010-07-15 11:24:02 -0700, Scotius <> said:
    >
    > >    I'm already a policy holder with All State, so maybe that's
    > > why, but I'm pretty happy with it...

    > As I stated in my response to your over x-posted to alt.photography;
    >
    > What coverage are they providing for your $14, that your renters policy
    > for your property does not cover?

    They are covering the indivitual item, with no deductible. If
    something happens to his camera he will be fully reimbursed, up to
    replacement cost.

    If he claims it on his renters insurance, most likely it would be
    subject to a $500 (or whatever) deductible that is standard with most
    renters policies.
    Nervous Nick, Jul 17, 2010
  4. Scotius

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jul 16, 10:32 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2010-07-16 19:49:13 -0700, Nervous Nick <> said:

    > >> As I stated in my response to your over x-posted to alt.photography;

    > >> What coverage are they providing for your $14, that your renters policy
    > >> for your property does not cover?

    > > They are covering the indivitual item, with no deductible.  If
    > > something happens to his camera he will be fully reimbursed, up to
    > > replacement cost.

    > I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you read the coverage he has
    > been provided.
    >

    > > If he claims it on his renters insurance, most likely it would be
    > > subject to a $500 (or whatever) deductible that is standard with most
    > > renters policies.

    > In the case of my Allstate Home Owner's insurance claim the deductible
    > was $250.
    >
    > However, regardless of me providing proof of my costs for the items
    > stolen, Allstate compensated on actual retail list price. This put me
    > ahead of the game even after the deductible and depreciation (which was
    > recoverable). I was able to upgrade to a D300s, and replace the
    > 18-200mm VRII for less than my original cost.
    > <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Allstate-CES.jpg>

    Nice!
    Nervous Nick, Jul 17, 2010
  5. Scotius

    Peter Guest

    > On 2010-07-16 19:49:13 -0700, Nervous Nick <> said:

    >>> As I stated in my response to your over x-posted to alt.photography;
    >>>
    >>> What coverage are they providing for your $14, that your renters policy
    >>> for your property does not cover?

    >> They are covering the indivitual item, with no deductible. If
    >> something happens to his camera he will be fully reimbursed, up to
    >> replacement cost.

    > I wouldn't be too sure about that. Have you read the coverage he has been
    > provided.
    >

    >> If he claims it on his renters insurance, most likely it would be
    >> subject to a $500 (or whatever) deductible that is standard with most
    >> renters policies.

    > In the case of my Allstate Home Owner's insurance claim the deductible was
    > $250.
    >
    > However, regardless of me providing proof of my costs for the items
    > stolen, Allstate compensated on actual retail list price. This put me
    > ahead of the game even after the deductible and depreciation (which was
    > recoverable). I was able to upgrade to a D300s, and replace the 18-200mm
    > VRII for less than my original cost.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Allstate-CES.jpg >
    > ID information has been redacted.

    You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy. The
    couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jul 18, 2010
  6. Scotius

    Peter Guest

    > On 2010-07-17 17:40:05 -0700, "Peter" <> said:
    >

    >> You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy.
    >> The couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.

    > Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
    > benefit.
    > I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my
    > claim.
    >
    > There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had complete
    > documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the BlackRapid
    > strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
    > Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
    > South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from the
    > assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this situation,
    > take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before making that call
    > to your insurance company.

    A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an Allstate
    representative. One of their insured's drove his car into my living room.
    The representative wanted my version of the accident. I started by saying I
    as carefully and slowly driving my house, looking in both directions. It
    took several minutes before this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a
    replacement cost policy and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my
    deductible back.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jul 19, 2010
  7. Scotius

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:57:31 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2010-07-17 17:40:05 -0700, "Peter" <> said:
    >>

    >>> You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy.
    >>> The couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.

    >> Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
    >> benefit.
    >> I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my
    >> claim.
    >>
    >> There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had complete
    >> documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the BlackRapid
    >> strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
    >> Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
    >> South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from the
    >> assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this situation,
    >> take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before making that call
    >> to your insurance company.

    >A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an Allstate
    >representative. One of their insured's drove his car into my living room.
    >The representative wanted my version of the accident. I started by saying I
    >as carefully and slowly driving my house, looking in both directions. It
    >took several minutes before this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a
    >replacement cost policy and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my
    >deductible back.

    That must be the same claims adjuster who asked my wife how fast she
    was driving when his client hit my wife's parked car in the mall
    parking lot. She was in the mall at the time. On foot.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 19, 2010
  8. Scotius

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:57:31 -0400, "Peter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
    >>> benefit.
    >>> I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my
    >>> claim.
    >>>
    >>> There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had
    >>> complete
    >>> documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the BlackRapid
    >>> strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
    >>> Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
    >>> South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from the
    >>> assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this situation,
    >>> take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before making that
    >>> call
    >>> to your insurance company.

    >>A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an Allstate
    >>representative. One of their insured's drove his car into my living room.
    >>The representative wanted my version of the accident. I started by saying
    >>as carefully and slowly driving my house, looking in both directions. It
    >>took several minutes before this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a
    >>replacement cost policy and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my
    >>deductible back.

    > That must be the same claims adjuster who asked my wife how fast she
    > was driving when his client hit my wife's parked car in the mall
    > parking lot. She was in the mall at the time. On foot.

    Naw! He got a job in a drug store and kept asking for the date of birth and
    Social Security Number of my daughter's cat.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jul 20, 2010
  9. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:10:32 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-07-15 11:24:02 -0700, Scotius <> said:
    >
    >> I'm already a policy holder with All State, so maybe that's
    >> why, but I'm pretty happy with it...

    >As I stated in my response to your over x-posted to alt.photography;
    >
    >What coverage are they providing for your $14, that your renters policy
    >for your property does not cover?
    >
    >I have an Allstate homeowners policy, and they covered me for my D300,
    >18-200mm VRII, Promote GPS, CF cards & other extras when they were
    >stolen on a trip to South Africa this last December. Allstate did not
    >require an additional premium, or policy rider, only proof of purchase,
    >and a police report.

    My homeowners policy has a $1,000 deductible, and the camera
    was 469+ tax. With this policy specific to the camera, anything that
    happens to it when I'm out with it (and I shoot for a local magazine
    and do a LOT of shooting) is covered, so for me it's VERY worth it.
    Scotius, Jul 28, 2010
  10. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:49:13 -0700 (PDT), Nervous Nick
    <> wrote:

    >On Jul 15, 2:10 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> On 2010-07-15 11:24:02 -0700, Scotius <> said:
    >>
    >> >    I'm already a policy holder with All State, so maybe that's
    >> > why, but I'm pretty happy with it...

    >> As I stated in my response to your over x-posted to alt.photography;
    >>
    >> What coverage are they providing for your $14, that your renters policy
    >> for your property does not cover?

    >They are covering the indivitual item, with no deductible. If
    >something happens to his camera he will be fully reimbursed, up to
    >replacement cost.
    >
    >If he claims it on his renters insurance, most likely it would be
    >subject to a $500 (or whatever) deductible that is standard with most
    >renters policies.

    Exactly, except in my case the deductible is 1000 so I'd get
    zip if I claimed it on that.
    Plus, I do a LOT of shooting, since I shoot for a local
    magazine, so sooner or later at big events, there's a chance that
    something could happen to it, although I'm very careful and hope
    nothing does. Still, it's nice to have the peace of mind at 14 per
    year even if nothing ever does happen to it.
    Scotius, Jul 28, 2010
  11. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >> On 2010-07-17 17:40:05 -0700, "Peter" <> said:
    >>

    >>> You have illustrated the benefits of having a replacement value policy.
    >>> The couple of bucks you paid was well worth it.

    >> Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
    >> benefit.
    >> I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my
    >> claim.
    >>
    >> There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had complete
    >> documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the BlackRapid
    >> strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
    >> Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
    >> South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from the
    >> assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this situation,
    >> take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before making that call
    >> to your insurance company.

    >A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an Allstate
    >representative. One of their insured's drove his car into my living room.
    >The representative wanted my version of the accident. I started by saying I
    >as carefully and slowly driving my house, looking in both directions. It
    >took several minutes before this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a
    >replacement cost policy and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my
    >deductible back.

    That reminds me of something I read after a search of "stupid
    court quotes", except the guy who said it wasn't kidding like you
    were.
    One of my favorites though was when a lawyer asked some guy
    "What gear were you in at the time of impact?", and he said "Gucci
    sweats and Reeboks".
    Scotius, Jul 28, 2010
  12. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:22:49 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:57:31 -0400, "Peter"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> Yup. I thought that by providing evidence of my experience others might
    >>> benefit.
    >>> I have nothing but good things to say about the way Allstate handled my
    >>> claim.
    >>>
    >>> There is the side benefit of making these purchases online. I had complete
    >>> documentation of all my transactions, the D300 + lens, the BlackRapid
    >>> strap, 16GB CF card, and Promote GPS.
    >>> Also, I took the time to report the theft to local police in Cape Town,
    >>> South Africa, and got a copy of the initial report and a report from the
    >>> assigned investigator. So if you ever find your self in this situation,
    >>> take a deep breath and get all your ducks in a row before making that call
    >>> to your insurance company.

    >>A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an Allstate
    >>representative. One of their insured's drove his car into my living room.
    >>The representative wanted my version of the accident. I started by saying I
    >>as carefully and slowly driving my house, looking in both directions. It
    >>took several minutes before this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a
    >>replacement cost policy and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my
    >>deductible back.

    >That must be the same claims adjuster who asked my wife how fast she
    >was driving when his client hit my wife's parked car in the mall
    >parking lot. She was in the mall at the time. On foot.

    Claims adjusters make their money by getting the people whose
    claims they adjust to drop the value of their claims. They get a
    percentage of it.
    It's a clear conflict of interest that should not be allowed
    to continue, but it does because it benefits the wealthy who own
    insurance companies, and who are crooks from the bottoms of their
    smelly little feet to the tops of their evil-thinking little heads.
    Scotius, Jul 28, 2010
  13. Scotius

    Scotius Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:38:30 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:57:31 -0400, "Peter"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>> A bout five years ago I had an "interesting" conversation with an
    >>> Allstate representative. One of their insured's drove his car into
    >>> my living room. The representative wanted my version of the
    >>> accident. I started by saying I as carefully and slowly driving my
    >>> house, looking in both directions. It took several minutes before
    >>> this idiot got my point. Oh! Yes I too had a replacement cost policy
    >>> and I was fully reimbursed. I even received my deductible back.

    >> That must be the same claims adjuster who asked my wife how fast she
    >> was driving when his client hit my wife's parked car in the mall
    >> parking lot. She was in the mall at the time. On foot.

    >I had similar questions from the investigating cop when my car, in its
    >parking space, was rammed by some young punk about 2 a.m. He must have
    >accelerated pretty hard to get up that much speed in a short space, because
    >the impact shoved the rear of my Galaxie, a full-sized car, several feet to
    >the side, stopping only when the right rear wheel hit a curb. Damage was
    >considerable, and not just sheet metal.
    >
    >Even after my explaining that I was up in my apartment at the time, my car
    >was parked in its parking space, and I only came down after hearing the
    >sound of the collision, the cop asked me how fast I was driving. I suppose
    >these questions are on a standard form and the investigator simply asks them
    >in order, whether that makes any sense or not.

    Like the survey question Jay Leno got from his cable
    company.... "Are you a man or a woman" and the answer choices were
    "Yes" or "No".
    Well? Are you a man or a woman, yes or no?!?!?

    Scotius, Jul 28, 2010
  14. Scotius

    Peter Guest

    "Scotius" <> wrote in message

    > Like the survey question Jay Leno got from his cable
    > company.... "Are you a man or a woman" and the answer choices were
    > "Yes" or "No".
    > Well? Are you a man or a woman, yes or no?!?!?

    I confess! I may have contributed to that. Survey questions didn't always
    limit your answer.
    The question was sex? My answer: "Several times a week."
    If the question was married or single? My answer: "yes."

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Jul 29, 2010