13 Blu-Ray titles "indefinitely delayed"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    Whoops... Sony's victory dance seems a little premature:

    http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=472

    Fox Throws A Wrench Into Their March/April Blu-ray Plans
    February 13, 2007

    This morning several customers who pre-ordered a number of Fox and MGM
    titles unexpectedly received an email from retailers either postponing
    or canceling their order altogether. Something was up but nothing had
    been announced by the studio signaling a catastrophic release day
    event.

    Moments ago we received word from Fox that 13 titles originally
    scheduled for release in either March or April have been indefinitely
    delayed. Call it the unlucky number 13 or steering clear of the recent
    rash of new theatrical debuts slated for late March, but it would now
    appear the once massive gap between upcoming Blu-ray and HD DVD
    releases has temporarily shrunk. At least until Fox issues new
    releases dates, which their announcement seems to indicate are on the
    way sooner rather than later.

    The titles affected by this massive shake-up include:

    March

    * Ice Age
    * Dodgeball
    * Commando
    * Thomas Crown Affair
    * Dances With Wolves

    April

    * Tristan & Isolde
    * Dude Wheres My Car
    * The Fly
    * Turistas
    * Hannibal
    * Silence of the Lambs
    * To Live and Die in LA

    We'll be sure to pass along new release date information as soon as
    Fox sends it along.
    Jordan, Feb 14, 2007

  2. Jordan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > Whoops... Sony's victory dance seems a little premature:
    >
    > http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=472

    This has been par for the course with Blu-ray studios, unfortunately.
    They announce a huge slate of titles to build up buzz for the superior
    software support the format has, and then delay or cancel large chunks
    of them that they never had anywhere near readiness for release.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 14, 2007

  3. Jordan

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:06:43 -0500, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >> Whoops... Sony's victory dance seems a little premature:
    >>
    >> http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=472

    >This has been par for the course with Blu-ray studios, unfortunately.
    >They announce a huge slate of titles to build up buzz for the superior
    >software support the format has, and then delay or cancel large chunks
    >of them that they never had anywhere near readiness for release.

    I think it would be funny to see the death of the format result from
    bad choices made about the way the content is compiled together.

    HD DVD utilized many of the same standards which already exist. I
    am sure that HD DVD mastering sessions go much easier on the folks
    doing them than Blu Turd discs do.

    MI 3 is a good example. The front end menus on it are awesome
    supercomputer segments. They spent a LOT of money making just those
    title videos alone.
    MassiveProng, Feb 14, 2007
  4. Jordan

    Guest

    On Feb 14, 1:45 am, "Jordan" <> wrote:
    > Moments ago we received word from Fox that 13 titles originally
    > scheduled for release in either March or April have been indefinitely
    > delayed.

    Dammit! I was really looking forward to finally seeing "Dude Where's
    My Car" in 1080p too!

    -Eric
    , Feb 15, 2007
  5. wrote:

    > On Feb 14, 1:45 am, "Jordan" <> wrote:
    > > Moments ago we received word from Fox that 13 titles originally

    >>scheduled for release in either March or April have been indefinitely
    >>delayed.

    > Dammit! I was really looking forward to finally seeing "Dude Where's
    > My Car" in 1080p too!

    "Production issues"--
    Translation: I sense another studio may be looking at those neat-o
    double-sided disks...
    '
    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 16, 2007