12VDC Car Charger for Hewlett-PackardHP R707 Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LeftLane100, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. LeftLane100

    LeftLane100 Guest

    Hello All:

    Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
    question.

    I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
    cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
    that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
    the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.

    The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
    a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!

    Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!

    some tech specs...

    Product Number: L1812A
    Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
    HP Number: Q223-80001
    3.7VDC,1050 mAh
    Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm

    Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.

    sincerely,

    LeftLane100, Mar 15, 2005

  2. LeftLane100

    Robert Guest

    Cheap and fast way is to buy a 300 watt dc to ac converter then use it to
    power the ac charger.
    That way you have it for other things, I use one for a printer in the car.

    Robert, Mar 15, 2005

  3. LeftLane100

    Ron Hunter Guest

    LeftLane100 wrote:
    > Hello All:
    >
    > Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
    > question.
    >
    > I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
    > cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
    > that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
    > the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
    >
    > The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
    > a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
    >
    > Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > some tech specs...

    > Product Number: L1812A
    > Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
    > HP Number: Q223-80001
    > 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
    > Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
    >

    > Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
    >

    > sincerely,

    I suggest you buy one of the inexpensive DC to AC converters that are
    available for about $10. That way you can use the charger that came
    with the Camera...

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 15, 2005
  4. LeftLane100

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Robert wrote:
    > Cheap and fast way is to buy a 300 watt dc to ac converter then use it to
    > power the ac charger.
    > That way you have it for other things, I use one for a printer in the car.
    >
    > "LeftLane100" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello All:
    >>
    >>Please forgive my mis-post if this is not the correct place for this
    >>question.
    >>
    >>I am looking to any info leading to finding a 12VDC,
    >>cigarette-lighter-pluggable car charger [or schematic for]
    >>that will fully charge the battery that comes in the box with
    >>the Hewlett-Packard HP R707 Photosmart digital camera.
    >>
    >>The 120VAC wall charger works fine, but the convenience of
    >>a car unit would REALLY, REALLY be nice!
    >>
    >>Any helpful direction would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >>some tech specs...

    >>Product Number: L1812A
    >>Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
    >>HP Number: Q223-80001
    >>3.7VDC,1050 mAh
    >>Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm
    >>

    >>Thanx-In-Advance for your time and talents.
    >>

    >>sincerely,

    What kind of printer needs a 300 watt converter??? One of the $10 95
    watt models would be more than adequate.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 15, 2005
  5. LeftLane100

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > I suggest you buy one of the inexpensive DC to AC converters that are
    > available for about $10. That way you can use the charger that came
    > with the Camera...

    Yup..

    I have an inverter permentently mounted under the seat of my truck.

    I use it for my laptop computer, my camera battey charger, my GPS unit,
    my Cell phone and my PDA. (It's a heavy duty 700W unit so I can also
    run a TV set and small power tools).

    An inverter will work for just about everything that uses a 'wall cube',
    so you eliminate the need to purchase a dedicated 12V charger for every
    portable device you own now or may aquire in the future.

    Jim Townsend, Mar 15, 2005
  6. LeftLane100

    Guest

    LeftLane100 wrote:

    > Product Number: L1812A
    > Mfg Part Number: UBBP03
    > HP Number: Q223-80001
    > 3.7VDC,1050 mAh
    > Dimensions: 7mm x 35mm x 53mm

    See
    "http://shop.designertoday.com/r-281407/m-Electronics/b-281407/a-B0007NINYA/Default.aspx"
    I think that this is what you want.

    Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
    adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
    feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
    poster had never heard of these devices.

    , Mar 15, 2005
  7. LeftLane100

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
    > adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
    > feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
    > poster had never heard of these devices.

    Here is a NEWS BULLETIN!

    A great preponderance of "average people", dont know what an INVERTER is,
    where they can be found, or what they are used for.

    If you dont like what the people in theis newsgroup post for help, you'de
    best declare yourself 'King Of Usenet' and promiss to come up with all the
    answers.

    And dont forget to give the perfect answer EVERY time.

    In your self-centric Universe the only person who matters (you) know all
    about inverters so, why should anyone post the suggestion right????

    There is no reason NOT to use an inverter in this way, and they can be
    cheaper than 12v chargers.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Mar 15, 2005
  8. LeftLane100

    DaveC Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:59:37 -0800, wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the stock AC
    > adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of people
    > feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
    > poster had never heard of these devices.

    Aside your opinion of others giving opinions, what is the reason you
    recommend against using an inverter? To the contrary, several in this thread
    find they work perfectly for the OP's purpose.

    Please do share your reasons inverters are not a good idea.

    Thanks,

    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC, Mar 16, 2005
  9. LeftLane100

    Guest

    Larry wrote:

    > Here is a NEWS BULLETIN!
    >
    > A great preponderance of "average people", dont know what an

    INVERTER is,
    > where they can be found, or what they are used for.

    Relax Larry.

    I think that you are mistaken about what "average people" know.
    Inverters are sold at all the stores where "average people" shop,
    including Costco, Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, JC Penney, Bed Bath and
    Beyond, Walgreens, etc. It's not like it was 15 years ago when
    inverters were an esoteric item ordered from automotive specialty
    catalogs.

    > If you dont like what the people in theis newsgroup post for help,

    you'de
    > best declare yourself 'King Of Usenet' and promiss to come up with

    all the
    > answers.

    The problem on Usenet is that too many people don't answer the actual
    question, they change the question to fit an answer that they know. The
    original poster did not ask about inverters, he asked about a 12VDC car
    charger for the R707. Since most people know about inverters, I
    presumed that he knew perfectly well what he was asking for.

    > And dont forget to give the perfect answer EVERY time.

    This is a good point. While I can't claim to be perfect, I do try very
    hard to answer the actual question being asked.

    > In your self-centric Universe the only person who matters (you) know

    all
    > about inverters so, why should anyone post the suggestion right????

    You want to believe that inverters are some new-fangled device that
    many people don't know about, yet this is not true.

    > There is no reason NOT to use an inverter in this way, and they can

    be
    > cheaper than 12v chargers.

    There are several reasons why the actual device the original poster was
    inquiring about is a better solution.

    First, the cheaper inverters shorten the life of devices that they are
    attached to because the modified sine wave waveform increases the
    losses due to heat, especially in transformer based devices. There are
    more expensive inverters that produce a real sine wave, but few people
    buy these. For example, a 300W sine wave inverter costs around $150,
    while the modified sine-wave model is only around $35 (square wave
    models are even less, around $25).

    Second, the inverters draw much more power than a DC-DC charger. This
    doesn't matter when the car is running, but many times you'd like to
    leave the charger plugged in while you're not in the car. No problem
    with a DC-DC charger, since it would take days or weeks to drain the
    car battery with a DC-DC charger.

    Third, the inverters are noisy, since even the smallest ones require a
    cooling fan.

    Fourth, 12V appliances that plug directly into the lighter are more
    efficient. For example, I can run my 12 volt Dirt Devil vacuum just
    fine from a 10 amp lighter socket. The 110V Dirt Devil, will not run
    off the inverter because the inverter cannot get enough current out of
    the lighter socket. If I hook the inverter directly to the battery,
    then it will work, but this is a hassle.

    You are correct that it is cheaper to buy an inverter. You can buy a
    70W inverter for around $10.

    , Mar 16, 2005
  10. LeftLane100

    Q Guest

    wrote:

    > First, the cheaper inverters shorten the life of devices that they are
    > attached to because the modified sine wave waveform increases the
    > losses due to heat, especially in transformer based devices. There are
    > more expensive inverters that produce a real sine wave, but few people
    > buy these. For example, a 300W sine wave inverter costs around $150,
    > while the modified sine-wave model is only around $35 (square wave
    > models are even less, around $25).

    My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has
    for the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't
    work just fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never
    been used with anything but inverter power since I bought my first
    digital camera in 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home
    inverter, I also use them with a cheap little inverters that I haul
    along in my car. No problems.

    > Second, the inverters draw much more power than a DC-DC charger. This
    > doesn't matter when the car is running, but many times you'd like to
    > leave the charger plugged in while you're not in the car. No problem
    > with a DC-DC charger, since it would take days or weeks to drain the
    > car battery with a DC-DC charger.

    Inverter efficiency even in the cheap little inverters is around 90
    percent. The amount of power wasted is so minuscule that you'll never
    notice.

    > Third, the inverters are noisy, since even the smallest ones require a
    > cooling fan.

    Some inverters have fans that run all the time (noisy). Some have fans
    that come on only when the unit gets hot. Some have no fan at all like
    the little $13 Vector 70 watt units (which work great for charging
    batteries)

    Q, Mar 16, 2005
  11. LeftLane100

    Guest

    DaveC wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:59:37 -0800, wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    > > Do NOT do use an 12VDC to 120VAC inverter in your car, and the

    stock AC
    > > adapter. Every time someone asks about car chargers, a bunch of

    people
    > > feel compelled to post about buying an inverter, as if the original
    > > poster had never heard of these devices.

    > Aside your opinion of others giving opinions, what is the reason you
    > recommend against using an inverter? To the contrary, several in this

    thread
    > find they work perfectly for the OP's purpose.
    >
    > Please do share your reasons inverters are not a good idea.

    I pointed out some of the issues with an inverter in a previous post.
    It's not that the inverter won't work, but there are reasons why the
    device that the original poster inquired about is a better solution.

    Also see: "http://www.solareco.com/articles/article.cfm/id/50"

    I forgot about the RFI issue in my other post, but it can be a real
    problem, depending on the inverter.

    , Mar 16, 2005
  12. Q <> writes:

    > My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has for
    > the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't work just
    > fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never been used with
    > anything but inverter power since I bought my first digital camera in
    > 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home inverter, I also use them
    > with a cheap little inverters that I haul along in my car. No problems.

    From what I've read, many studio strobes like Alien Bees need a pure sine wave.
    Also, the humidifier that is part of my CPAP system (medical device for
    treating sleep apnea) is not compatible with the normal car inverters, though I
    think there are newer models that can run off of DC current or inverters.
    Finally, I tried using my laptop on one of the cheap inverters you get at the
    big box stores, and it blew the fuse, so with some devices you might need to
    match the specs.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Mar 16, 2005
  13. "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message
    > Q <> writes:
    >
    > > My entire house runs off a large "modified sine wave" inverter, and has

    for
    > > the last 15 plus years. I have yet to find a device that doesn't work

    just
    > > fine on the inverter. My camera battery chargers have never been used

    with
    > > anything but inverter power since I bought my first digital camera in
    > > 1998. Not only do I use them with my large home inverter, I also use

    them
    > > with a cheap little inverters that I haul along in my car. No problems.

    > From what I've read, many studio strobes like Alien Bees need a pure sine

    wave.
    > Also, the humidifier that is part of my CPAP system (medical device for
    > treating sleep apnea) is not compatible with the normal car inverters,

    though I
    > think there are newer models that can run off of DC current or inverters.
    > Finally, I tried using my laptop on one of the cheap inverters you get at

    the
    > big box stores, and it blew the fuse, so with some devices you might need

    > match the specs.

    The el-cheapo inverters sold at the big-box stores are necessarily cheaply
    made, and often way over-rated as to their actual capacity. The high
    capacity inverters sold for use for off-mains houses are better made, and
    more expensive.

    For laptops, you should get the iGo, see
    http://store.yahoo.com/shentech/igojualhopoa.html. Both AC and DC adapters
    in one unit. Very cool.

    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 16, 2005