    new 256k plan. Opinions regarding speed ie is it noticably faster?. Cheers
    and thanks in advance.

    Ardz

    ardz, Oct 6, 2003

  2. ardz

    Howhard Guest

    ardz wrote:
    > is it noticably faster?.

    Yes. About twice as fast. ;-P

    Howhard, Oct 6, 2003

  3. ardz

    Jay Guest

    ardz wrote:

    > Has any body taken the plunge and "upgraded" from 128k jetsream starter to
    > a new 256k plan. Opinions regarding speed ie is it noticably faster?.
    > Cheers and thanks in advance.

    It is only *up* to twice as fast.

    But you will definitely notice the difference between the pathetic 5GB
    Jetstarter allowance and the even more paltry 500MB allowance.

    Jay, Oct 6, 2003
  4. ardz

    Allistar Guest

    ardz wrote:

    > Has any body taken the plunge and "upgraded" from 128k jetsream starter to
    > a new 256k plan. Opinions regarding speed ie is it noticably faster?.
    > Cheers and thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ardz

    Are all ISPs that office JetStart offering this upgrade option? I'm with
    Paradise and 256k would be great, but I am not willing to take a drop in
    the bandwidth cap (10Gb is not enough as it is).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 6, 2003
  5. ardz

    EAgle Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > ardz wrote:
    >
    > > Has any body taken the plunge and "upgraded" from 128k jetsream starter

    > > a new 256k plan. Opinions regarding speed ie is it noticably faster?.
    > > Cheers and thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Ardz

    > Are all ISPs that office JetStart offering this upgrade option? I'm with
    > Paradise and 256k would be great, but I am not willing to take a drop in
    > the bandwidth cap (10Gb is not enough as it is).
    >
    > Allistar.

    And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well actualy
    2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(

    What I would give for 10GB ahh

    EAgle

    EAgle, Oct 6, 2003
  6. ardz

    Jay Guest

    EAgle wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> ardz wrote:
    >>
    >> > Has any body taken the plunge and "upgraded" from 128k jetsream starter

    >> > a new 256k plan. Opinions regarding speed ie is it noticably faster?.
    >> > Cheers and thanks in advance.
    >> >
    >> > Ardz

    >> Are all ISPs that office JetStart offering this upgrade option? I'm with
    >> Paradise and 256k would be great, but I am not willing to take a drop in
    >> the bandwidth cap (10Gb is not enough as it is).
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well actualy
    > 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(

    2GB is the same as 2000MB.

    Jay, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Jay wrote:
    > EAgle wrote:
    >

    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are all ISPs that office JetStart offering this upgrade option? I'm
    >>> with Paradise and 256k would be great, but I am not willing to take
    >>> a drop in the bandwidth cap (10Gb is not enough as it is).
    >>>
    >>> Allistar.

    >> And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well
    >> actualy 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(

    > 2GB is the same as 2000MB.

    PLEASE! Don't start this argument up again!

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 6, 2003
  8. ardz

    asdf Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > ardz wrote:
    >
    > > Has any body taken the plunge and "upgraded" from 128k jetsream starter

    > > a new 256k plan. Opinions regarding speed ie is it noticably faster?.
    > > Cheers and thanks in advance.

    > It is only *up* to twice as fast.
    >
    > But you will definitely notice the difference between the pathetic 5GB
    > Jetstarter allowance and the even more paltry 500MB allowance.

    im on the 128k, and often dont go over 1G, (looking at lst few months logs),
    but this weakend i did go over 1 G (downloaded slackware 9.1 2 disk)

    so i stick with 128, for when i need bandwidth.

    asdf, Oct 6, 2003
  9. ardz

    EAgle Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > EAgle wrote:
    >

    > > "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    starter

    > >> Are all ISPs that office JetStart offering this upgrade option? I'm

    with
    > >> Paradise and 256k would be great, but I am not willing to take a drop

    in
    > >> the bandwidth cap (10Gb is not enough as it is).
    > >>
    > >> Allistar.

    > > And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well actualy
    > > 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(

    > 2GB is the same as 2000MB.
    >

    > > What I would give for 10GB ahh
    > >
    > > EAgle

    Just for your info
    1GB = 1024Mb which means 2GB = 2048GB

    so no 2GB is not the same as 2000MB

    Cheers

    EAgle, Oct 6, 2003
  10. ardz

    EAgle Guest

    "EAgle" <> wrote in message

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > > EAgle wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    > starter

    faster?.

    > with

    > in

    > > > And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well actualy
    > > > 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(

    > > 2GB is the same as 2000MB.
    > >

    > > > What I would give for 10GB ahh
    > > >
    > > > EAgle

    > Just for your info
    > 1GB = 1024Mb which means 2GB = 2048GB
    >
    > so no 2GB is not the same as 2000MB
    >
    > Cheers

    sorry that should read 2GB = 2048MB
    this was the limit on Ihug Ultra until recently.. when they moved to the new
    plans they decided to make this 2000MB, I still have the letter they sent me
    about this..

    EAgle, Oct 6, 2003
  11. ardz

    Jason M Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:36:44 +1300, "EAgle" <> wrote:

    >> Just for your info
    >> 1GB = 1024Mb which means 2GB = 2048GB
    >>
    >> so no 2GB is not the same as 2000MB
    >>

    >sorry that should read 2GB = 2048MB
    >this was the limit on Ihug Ultra until recently.. when they moved to the new
    >plans they decided to make this 2000MB, I still have the letter they sent me
    >about this..

    Yes I assumed that we were on some other plan than 2000MB since they
    didn't charge any extra when I used 2025MB one month.
    Had to pay lots extra when we used 2400MB the next month.

    Jason M, Oct 6, 2003
  12. ardz

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <blrd3e$cdu$>, says...

    > "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > > starter

    > faster?.

    > > with

    > > in

    > > > 2GB is the same as 2000MB.

    > > Just for your info
    > > 1GB = 1024Mb which means 2GB = 2048GB
    > >
    > > so no 2GB is not the same as 2000MB
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >

    > sorry that should read 2GB = 2048MB
    > this was the limit on Ihug Ultra until recently.. when they moved to the new
    > plans they decided to make this 2000MB, I still have the letter they sent me
    > about this..

    *shuttup* eagle :) - he's just a fuken dumb chit troll

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Oct 6, 2003
  13. ardz

    EAgle Guest

    "T-Boy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <blrd3e$cdu$>, says...
    > >
    > > "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > > > starter

    > > faster?.

    I'm
    > > > with

    drop
    > > > in

    actualy

    > > > Just for your info
    > > > 1GB = 1024Mb which means 2GB = 2048GB
    > > >
    > > > so no 2GB is not the same as 2000MB
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > >

    > > sorry that should read 2GB = 2048MB
    > > this was the limit on Ihug Ultra until recently.. when they moved to the

    new
    > > plans they decided to make this 2000MB, I still have the letter they

    sent me
    > > about this..

    > *shuttup* eagle :) - he's just a fuken dumb chit troll
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    :) just had to make it clear in case someone else was reading this who
    didn't know .. time for another cup of coffee now .. mmmm

    EAgle

    EAgle, Oct 6, 2003
  14. ardz

    Jay Guest

    EAgle wrote:

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> EAgle wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    > starter

    > with

    > in

    >> > And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well actualy
    >> > 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(

    >> 2GB is the same as 2000MB.
    >>

    >> > What I would give for 10GB ahh
    >> >
    >> > EAgle

    > Just for your info
    > 1GB = 1024Mb which means 2GB = 2048GB
    >
    > so no 2GB is not the same as 2000MB

    Sorry, but where networking is concerned 2GB is the same as 2000MB.
    Just like a 56kbps modem runs at 56,000bps.

    Jay, Oct 6, 2003
  15. ardz

    Jay Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >> EAgle wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well
    >>> actualy 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(

    >> 2GB is the same as 2000MB.

    > PLEASE! Don't start this argument up again!

    But it has already started.

    A 8Mbps link runs at 8,000kbps, so if you download 8GB then
    that is 8,000MB.

    In networking k := 1000, and M := 1,000,000 and G := 1,000,000,000.

    Jay, Oct 6, 2003
  16. In article <blrggt$fmtup$-berlin.de>, Jay <> wrote:
    >EAgle wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >Sorry, but where networking is concerned 2GB is the same as 2000MB.
    >Just like a 56kbps modem runs at 56,000bps.

    No, where network SPEEDS are concerned the base 10 value is correct.
    Data is calculated on base 2 by everyone except HDD manufacturers (even
    flash storage uses base 2 values).
    Most companies present data-used on an MB basis, and regardless of what
    your opinion is, Jay, one megabyte equals 1024*1024 which equals 1048576
    bytes.

    Once again you're talking out your arse, and once again you're
    demonstrably WRONG!

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Oct 6, 2003
  17. ardz

    cowboyz Guest

    "EAgle" <> wrote in message

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > > ardz wrote:
    > >
    > > > Has any body taken the plunge and "upgraded" from 128k jetsream

    starter
    > > > a new 256k plan. Opinions regarding speed ie is it noticably faster?.
    > > > Cheers and thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > Ardz

    > > Are all ISPs that office JetStart offering this upgrade option? I'm with
    > > Paradise and 256k would be great, but I am not willing to take a drop in
    > > the bandwidth cap (10Gb is not enough as it is).
    > >
    > > Allistar.

    > And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well actualy
    > 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(
    >
    > What I would give for 10GB ahh
    >
    > EAgle

    I have DBS service and have used Jetstart. I prefer the extra speed over
    the extra allowance myself. I usually sit around the 1500-1700 meg /month
    so the cap is ok. I find it nice to download that file I really want now
    at 400k/s rather than waiting for ti at 16k/s. Jetstart actually feels
    quite painful after using DBS. The only time I have felt limited was when
    I downloaded mandrake and I had to get a friend to download 2 of the cds
    cause I didn't have the space to download it. Although I downloaded 1 cd
    in the time it took him to download a fifth of one of the cds.

    cowboyz, Oct 6, 2003
  18. ardz

    XboxLover Guest

    > > Just for your info
    > > 1GB = 1024Mb which means 2GB = 2048GB
    > >
    > > so no 2GB is not the same as 2000MB
    > >

    > Sorry, but where networking is concerned 2GB is the same as 2000MB.
    > Just like a 56kbps modem runs at 56,000bps.

    Haha what a pile of BS. Hope you didn't learn that at school cause your
    teacher needs to be sacked. 1GB = 1024mb period. Stoopid newbie Jay.

    XboxLover!

    XboxLover, Oct 6, 2003
  19. ardz

    EAgle Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    > starter

    faster?.

    > > > Are all ISPs that office JetStart offering this upgrade option? I'm

    with
    > > > Paradise and 256k would be great, but I am not willing to take a drop

    in
    > > > the bandwidth cap (10Gb is not enough as it is).
    > > >
    > > > Allistar.

    > > And us poor souls on Ihug Ultra DBS have to live with 2GB well actualy
    > > 2000MB (even less than 2GB) a month :(
    > >
    > > What I would give for 10GB ahh
    > >
    > > EAgle
    > >

    > I have DBS service and have used Jetstart. I prefer the extra speed over
    > the extra allowance myself. I usually sit around the 1500-1700 meg

    /month
    > so the cap is ok. I find it nice to download that file I really want now
    > at 400k/s rather than waiting for ti at 16k/s. Jetstart actually feels
    > quite painful after using DBS. The only time I have felt limited was

    when
    > I downloaded mandrake and I had to get a friend to download 2 of the cds
    > cause I didn't have the space to download it. Although I downloaded 1 cd
    > in the time it took him to download a fifth of one of the cds.

    true.. that the only things thats keeping me on Ultra. I never go over the
    limit anyway but thats because i try hard not to :)

    EAgle, Oct 6, 2003
  20. ardz

    name Guest

    good thing about Ultra(terrestrial)... national traffic at 6.5Mbit/s(top
    speed) and no limite!

    e.g. i've downloaded a clip from http://www.fanimatrix.net/
    135MB took me exactly 4 Minutes.
    with average 4.7Mbit/s or 576KByte/s!...

    sad thing, not many interesting thing to download in nz...

    name, Oct 6, 2003