    Windows read my ASCII code?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray, Nov 11, 2004

  2. I think you are experiencing some confusion with regards to what you think
    of as your "passphrase" and your WEP key. Strictly speaking, standard WEP
    keys are either 40bit or 104bit (plus a suffix to this of 24bits, which is
    what you see marketed as 64 or 128 bits). Typically, this 40 or 104 bit WEP
    key can either be entered as hexadecimal numbers or ASCII characters.

    Now, because it can be difficult or tedious coming up with a nice random
    104bit WEP key composed of 26 hex numbers on your own, some vendors provide
    a way to come up with or "generate" a random key based off of some other
    input (a "passphrase" in this case) that is easier to remember. This
    usually takes the form of entering a more human-readable ASCII phrase into a
    text box, clicking a button and out comes one or more 26 hexadecimal
    numbers, which you can then use as a WEP key.

    The problem or confusion comes from the fact that many people mistake the
    "passphase" that is used to generate the WEP key as the WEP key itself! So,
    the solution is to go ahead and generate a WEP key on your AP, but take note
    of the WEP key generated (and it WILL be either a 40 or 128 bit key), and
    input that key on the client machine.

    Peter Bui[MS], Nov 24, 2004