127.0.0.1 problem and version 2 problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Victor Laszlo, Apr 23, 2008.

  1. I am still using version 1.5. Everytime I try to bring up Firefox I
    get an approval message from Zone Alarm. It needs me to approve access
    using 127.0.0.1:port #### and everytime the port number is different.
    Does anybod know whats going on here and how to correct it? This just
    started about 6 weeks ago.

    Also, tried using Version 2 but none of the web pages would load
    completely. Just too slow. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

    I would really appreciate someone's help on this.
    Victor Laszlo, Apr 23, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Victor Laszlo wrote:
    >> I am still using version 1.5. Everytime I try to bring up Firefox I
    >> get an approval message from Zone Alarm. It needs me to approve access
    >> using 127.0.0.1:port #### and everytime the port number is different.
    >> Does anybod know whats going on here and how to correct it? This just
    >> started about 6 weeks ago.
    >>
    >> Also, tried using Version 2 but none of the web pages would load
    >> completely. Just too slow. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >>
    >> I would really appreciate someone's help on this.

    >
    > Not sure. I would try this (in order).
    >
    > 1. Find all references to Firefox in Zone Alarm and Remove them. Run
    > Firefox. ZA will again prompt you for access approval. Give approval
    > and check the box to remember the setting. If that fails ...
    >
    > 2. Create a new profile and see if that fixes it.
    >


    I have used Zone Alarm for quite a while. I have however had to
    reinstall it at least twice when it has lost the plot. If all else fails
    you could try a reinstall.
    Invisible Man, Apr 23, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Victor Laszlo wrote:
    > I am still using version 1.5. Everytime I try to bring up Firefox I
    > get an approval message from Zone Alarm. It needs me to approve access
    > using 127.0.0.1:port #### and everytime the port number is different.
    > Does anybod know whats going on here and how to correct it? This just
    > started about 6 weeks ago.
    >
    > Also, tried using Version 2 but none of the web pages would load
    > completely. Just too slow. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >
    > I would really appreciate someone's help on this.


    Are you using windows? If so, then it might not have
    anything to do with FF, but with a windows problem [not the
    word I want to use], but its the Application Layer Gate Way
    Service, and its this what changes listening to ports each
    time. Its alg.exe, and it seems you need this. Anyways,
    I've got mine set up to block access each time, and don't
    remind me.

    Then again, I could be wrong.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 23, 2008
    #3
  4. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Victor Laszlo wrote:
    >>> I am still using version 1.5. Everytime I try to bring up Firefox I
    >>> get an approval message from Zone Alarm. It needs me to approve access
    >>> using 127.0.0.1:port #### and everytime the port number is different.
    >>> Does anybod know whats going on here and how to correct it? This just
    >>> started about 6 weeks ago.
    >>>
    >>> Also, tried using Version 2 but none of the web pages would load
    >>> completely. Just too slow. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >>>
    >>> I would really appreciate someone's help on this.

    >> Are you using windows? If so, then it might not have anything to do with
    >> FF, but with a windows problem [not the word I want to use], but its the
    >> Application Layer Gate Way Service, and its this what changes listening
    >> to ports each time. Its alg.exe, and it seems you need this. Anyways,
    >> I've got mine set up to block access each time, and don't remind me.
    >>
    >> Then again, I could be wrong.
    >>

    >
    > Before you advise people to block a Windows process you might want to
    > investigate:
    >
    > http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/alg/
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?query=alg.exe&num=50
    >
    > I sincerely doubt the OP's issue is related to this program/process.
    >


    alg.exe is for Windows Firewall and Internet Connection
    Sharing. If you don't need or use any of these, then either
    turn if off or block it.

    I've blocked mine, and I've watched the process. It does
    change ports each time I restart the computer. That is why
    I mentioned what I did.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 24, 2008
    #4
  5. I just reinstalled Zone Alarm and it has done no good. I suspect
    Firefox has its own jjavascript that it executes at startup. Does
    anyone know the name of this file? The 127.0.0.1 problem does not
    occur with version 2 so I suspect Firefox is doing this because I'm
    using an old version of Firefox. The problem is the new version will
    not run properly.

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:53:43 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> Victor Laszlo wrote:
    >>>>> I am still using version 1.5. Everytime I try to bring up Firefox I
    >>>>> get an approval message from Zone Alarm. It needs me to approve access
    >>>>> using 127.0.0.1:port #### and everytime the port number is different.
    >>>>> Does anybod know whats going on here and how to correct it? This just
    >>>>> started about 6 weeks ago.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Also, tried using Version 2 but none of the web pages would load
    >>>>> completely. Just too slow. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I would really appreciate someone's help on this.
    >>>> Are you using windows? If so, then it might not have anything to do
    >>>> with FF, but with a windows problem [not the word I want to use], but
    >>>> its the Application Layer Gate Way Service, and its this what changes
    >>>> listening to ports each time. Its alg.exe, and it seems you need
    >>>> this. Anyways, I've got mine set up to block access each time, and
    >>>> don't remind me.
    >>>>
    >>>> Then again, I could be wrong.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Before you advise people to block a Windows process you might want to
    >>> investigate:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/alg/
    >>>
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?query=alg.exe&num=50
    >>>
    >>> I sincerely doubt the OP's issue is related to this program/process.
    >>>

    >>
    >> alg.exe is for Windows Firewall and Internet Connection Sharing. If you
    >> don't need or use any of these, then either turn if off or block it.
    >>
    >> I've blocked mine, and I've watched the process. It does change ports
    >> each time I restart the computer. That is why I mentioned what I did.
    >>

    >
    >But, what is your rationale? What do you think it is doing that is
    >"bad?" Ok, you blocked it and, apparently, nothing has failed on your
    >system. But, why did you block it? For what purpose? What has
    >blocking it done for you positively?
    >
    >Did you block it without researching it? Do you have any idea of the
    >interdependence of other Windows processes with that one?
    >
    >I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just asking for a well-thought-out
    >rationale for what you're advocating. Absent some sensible factual
    >basis, it is generally NOT good thing to go about terminating Windows
    >standard processes willy-nilly.
    Victor Laszlo, Apr 24, 2008
    #5
  6. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>> Victor Laszlo wrote:
    >>>>> I am still using version 1.5. Everytime I try to bring up Firefox I
    >>>>> get an approval message from Zone Alarm. It needs me to approve access
    >>>>> using 127.0.0.1:port #### and everytime the port number is different.
    >>>>> Does anybod know whats going on here and how to correct it? This just
    >>>>> started about 6 weeks ago.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Also, tried using Version 2 but none of the web pages would load
    >>>>> completely. Just too slow. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I would really appreciate someone's help on this.
    >>>> Are you using windows? If so, then it might not have anything to do
    >>>> with FF, but with a windows problem [not the word I want to use], but
    >>>> its the Application Layer Gate Way Service, and its this what changes
    >>>> listening to ports each time. Its alg.exe, and it seems you need
    >>>> this. Anyways, I've got mine set up to block access each time, and
    >>>> don't remind me.
    >>>>
    >>>> Then again, I could be wrong.
    >>>>
    >>> Before you advise people to block a Windows process you might want to
    >>> investigate:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/alg/
    >>>
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?query=alg.exe&num=50
    >>>
    >>> I sincerely doubt the OP's issue is related to this program/process.
    >>>

    >> alg.exe is for Windows Firewall and Internet Connection Sharing. If you
    >> don't need or use any of these, then either turn if off or block it.
    >>
    >> I've blocked mine, and I've watched the process. It does change ports
    >> each time I restart the computer. That is why I mentioned what I did.
    >>

    >
    > But, what is your rationale? What do you think it is doing that is
    > "bad?" Ok, you blocked it and, apparently, nothing has failed on your
    > system. But, why did you block it? For what purpose? What has
    > blocking it done for you positively?
    >
    > Did you block it without researching it? Do you have any idea of the
    > interdependence of other Windows processes with that one?
    >
    > I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just asking for a well-thought-out
    > rationale for what you're advocating. Absent some sensible factual
    > basis, it is generally NOT good thing to go about terminating Windows
    > standard processes willy-nilly.
    >


    When I installed Zone Alarms, I got a popup saying alg.exe
    wanted access to the internet. Since I had no idea what it
    was for, I blocked it. Since then I've never had a problem.

    The same goes for that Generic Host Process for Win32
    Services, SoftwareUpdate.exe [turns out to be apple],
    Benjour Service [discovered it was for adobe], Download.exe
    [part of flash], and others. If I don't know what it is, I
    block.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 24, 2008
    #6
  7. Victor Laszlo

    Lukan Guest

    > The same goes for that Generic Host Process for Win32 Services,
    > SoftwareUpdate.exe [turns out to be apple], Benjour Service [discovered
    > it was for adobe], Download.exe [part of flash], and others. If I don't
    > know what it is, I block.


    Take all that crap out of your startup programs, they're wasting your RAM.
    Lukan, Apr 24, 2008
    #7
  8. Lukan wrote:
    >> The same goes for that Generic Host Process for Win32 Services,
    >> SoftwareUpdate.exe [turns out to be apple], Benjour Service [discovered
    >> it was for adobe], Download.exe [part of flash], and others. If I don't
    >> know what it is, I block.

    >
    > Take all that crap out of your startup programs, they're wasting your RAM.
    >


    I've either uninstalled them, or disabled them, except for
    the Generic Host one. Its for svchost.exe and I don't know
    what its for but everything I see says not to disable it.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 24, 2008
    #8
  9. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Lukan wrote:
    >>>> The same goes for that Generic Host Process for Win32 Services,
    >>>> SoftwareUpdate.exe [turns out to be apple], Benjour Service
    >>>> [discovered it was for adobe], Download.exe [part of flash], and
    >>>> others. If I don't know what it is, I block.
    >>> Take all that crap out of your startup programs, they're wasting your
    >>> RAM.
    >>>

    >> I've either uninstalled them, or disabled them, except for the Generic
    >> Host one. Its for svchost.exe and I don't know what its for but
    >> everything I see says not to disable it.
    >>

    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?query=svchost.exe&num=50
    > http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/svchost/
    >


    it says the same thing as the other: don't disable.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 27, 2008
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brian Bergin

    127.0.0.1 log entries

    Brian Bergin, Nov 21, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    960
  2. REMA

    ftp site 210.83.127.80

    REMA, Sep 3, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    920
  3. ha®®y

    127.0.0.1

    ha®®y, Aug 16, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    606
    °Mike°
    Aug 16, 2003
  4. ROBERT ARMSTRONG

    The 127.0.0.1 mystery

    ROBERT ARMSTRONG, Nov 24, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    474
    °Mike°
    Nov 24, 2003
  5. Alan Collinge

    127.0.0.1

    Alan Collinge, Jan 2, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,799
    Rifleman
    Jan 2, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page