122MB driver update on windowsupdate

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O., Dec 26, 2003.

  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only one
    there, a driver update.

    NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

    If I click on the supported hardware I get this.
    NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.

    NVIDIA GeForce 256
    NVIDIA GeForce DDR
    NVIDIA Quadro
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200
    NVIDIA Quadro2
    NVIDIA GeForce2
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
    NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE
    NVIDIA Quadro4
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440SE with AGP8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with AGP8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    NVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS with AGP8X
    NVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
    NVIDIA GeForce3
    NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
    NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500
    NVIDIA Quadro DDC
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
    NVIDIA NV25
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE
    NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 780 XGL
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2000
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
    NVIDIA NV31
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600SE
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200SE
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 PCI
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 500
    NVIDIA NV34GL
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
    NVIDIA NV35
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
    NVIDIA NV38
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 3000
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
    NVIDIA NV36
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1100
    NVIDIA NV36GL
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400
    NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR
    NVIDIA Quadro2 EX
    NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Pro
    NVIDIA Quadro4 550 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 500 XGL

    Yes I have a Geforce 2 MX in this machine, but the Nvidia drivers are
    dated November, and are WHQL apparently.

    Hell, even if I go to Nvidia's site and download the latest ones, they
    are only 8.53MB.

    Any ideas whats going on with this one?
    T.N.O., Dec 26, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:22:17 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > Yes I have a Geforce 2 MX in this machine, but the Nvidia drivers are
    > dated November, and are WHQL apparently.
    >
    > Hell, even if I go to Nvidia's site and download the latest ones, they
    > are only 8.53MB.
    >
    > Any ideas whats going on with this one?

    Must be fixing big chunks of Windows, too.
    steve, Dec 26, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    PseUDO Guest

    ------

    > NVIDIA GeForce 256
    > NVIDIA GeForce DDR

    SNIP

    > Yes I have a Geforce 2 MX in this machine, but the Nvidia drivers are
    > dated November, and are WHQL apparently.
    >
    > Hell, even if I go to Nvidia's site and download the latest ones, they
    > are only 8.53MB.
    >
    > Any ideas whats going on with this one?

    Have you downloaded it, might be a 12.2MB file no decimal point?

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Dec 26, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:44:51 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:22:17 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I have a Geforce 2 MX in this machine, but the Nvidia drivers are
    >> dated November, and are WHQL apparently.
    >>
    >> Hell, even if I go to Nvidia's site and download the latest ones, they
    >> are only 8.53MB.
    >>
    >> Any ideas whats going on with this one?

    >Must be fixing big chunks of Windows, too.

    Why not use the Upto date ones from Nvidia..
    Dumdedo, Dec 26, 2003
  5. T.N.O. wrote:
    > I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only
    > one there, a driver update.
    >
    > NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    > Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

    The MS Windows Update site has been fucked for some time: The decimal point
    no longer displays on ANY of their downloads. It's 12.2mb.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 26, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:24:13 +1300, "PseUDO" <> wrote:

    >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only one
    >> there, a driver update.
    >>
    >> NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    >> Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute
    >>
    >> If I click on the supported hardware I get this.
    >> NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.

    >------
    >>

    >> NVIDIA GeForce 256
    >> NVIDIA GeForce DDR

    >SNIP
    >
    >> Yes I have a Geforce 2 MX in this machine, but the Nvidia drivers are
    >> dated November, and are WHQL apparently.
    >>
    >> Hell, even if I go to Nvidia's site and download the latest ones, they
    >> are only 8.53MB.
    >>
    >> Any ideas whats going on with this one?

    >Have you downloaded it, might be a 12.2MB file no decimal point?
    >
    >PseUDO

    By why Dnload a Old Driver..??
    Dumdedo, Dec 27, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    >>Hell, even if I go to Nvidia's site and download the latest ones, they
    >>are only 8.53MB.
    >>Any ideas whats going on with this one?

    > Have you downloaded it, might be a 12.2MB file no decimal point?

    Still on dialup for the next few days, so no, Im not going to bother for
    the moment... I have however grabbed the ones from Nvidia... I dont like
    grabbign drivers from MS.
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > Why not use the Upto date ones from Nvidia..

    I have no need for them, I only have a GF2MX so no real need for the
    uptodate drivers, they give 0% performance increase... hell, a defrag
    gives more.
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > The MS Windows Update site has been fucked for some time: The decimal point
    > no longer displays on ANY of their downloads. It's 12.2mb.

    The decimal showed up on the other downloads(which I also didn't grab).
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only
    > one there, a driver update.
    >
    > NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    > Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute
    >
    > If I click on the supported hardware I get this.
    > NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    >

    > NVIDIA Quadro4 500 XGL
    >

    > Yes I have a Geforce 2 MX in this machine, but the Nvidia drivers are
    > dated November, and are WHQL apparently.
    >
    > Hell, even if I go to Nvidia's site and download the latest ones, they
    > are only 8.53MB.
    >
    > Any ideas whats going on with this one?

    I suggest you go online and then got to device manager, properties for your
    video card and select ├║pdate driver'. It should go online and look for the
    latest driver, download it and install it. Did it myself the other night
    and it worked great. Be patient as it says it's "looking" for the driver
    albeit it is downloading all 12 megs of it.
    , Dec 27, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    joe_90 Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only one
    > there, a driver update.
    >
    > NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    > Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

    Windows update is showing this driver as 12.2 MB, 53 minutes for me at
    the moment.

    My suggestion is you give it a miss. I took this update a couple of
    weeks ago and it caused a slight problem (XP reverting to 800x600 on
    boot). I uninstalled it and got the latest from the manufacturers site
    (LeadTek in this case).
    joe_90, Dec 27, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    wrote:
    > I suggest you go online and then got to device manager, properties for your
    > video card and select ├║pdate driver'. It should go online and look for the
    > latest driver, download it and install it. Did it myself the other night
    > and it worked great. Be patient as it says it's "looking" for the driver
    > albeit it is downloading all 12 megs of it.

    She's right, I went to the Nvidia site and grabbed it this morning... I
    have no intention of grabbing one from MS.
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:46:57 +1300, joe_90
    <joe_90_remove@nospam_zipmail.co.nz> wrote:

    >T.N.O. wrote:
    >> I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only one
    >> there, a driver update.
    >>
    >> NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    >> Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

    >Windows update is showing this driver as 12.2 MB, 53 minutes for me at
    >the moment.
    >
    >My suggestion is you give it a miss. I took this update a couple of
    >weeks ago and it caused a slight problem (XP reverting to 800x600 on
    >boot). I uninstalled it and got the latest from the manufacturers site
    >(LeadTek in this case).

    When you some times update the Nvidia drivers it will revert to the Basic
    800x600 screen mode, this is Very Normal

    The English version of the Drivers is some 8.5 megs..
    Dumdedo, Dec 27, 2003
  14. Hi there,

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    >>I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only
    >>one there, a driver update.
    >>
    >>NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
    >>Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

    > The MS Windows Update site has been fucked for some time: The decimal point
    > no longer displays on ANY of their downloads. It's 12.2mb.

    Theres also the 8.5MB local US version, without foreign language support
    (extra languages bloats the driver by 3.7MB in the international version
    incredibly!). Its version 5303...

    Linux dudes check out the latest linux version too (5328). Just got
    it on my system 2 days ago, and it gives my FX5600 a hefty performance
    increase...1600x1200 UT2K3 here I come!

    <flame>
    I've just noticed my linux driver (5328) is newer than the most recent
    WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
    </flame>

    :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 27, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > <flame>
    > I've just noticed my linux driver (5328) is newer than the most recent
    > WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
    > </flame>

    see my finger doing the twirly thing and hear me saying woop-de-do.

    :)
    T.N.O., Dec 27, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> <flame>
    >> I've just noticed my linux driver (5328) is newer than the most
    >> recent WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
    >> </flame>

    > see my finger doing the twirly thing and hear me saying woop-de-do.
    >
    > :)

    LOL.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 27, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    joe_90 Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > When you some times update the Nvidia drivers it will revert to the

    Basic
    > 800x600 screen mode, this is Very Normal

    Agreed, but in this case the resolution was reverting to 800x600 on
    *every* boot.
    joe_90, Dec 28, 2003
  18. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> <flame>
    >> I've just noticed my linux driver (5328) is newer than the most recent
    >> WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
    >> </flame>

    > see my finger doing the twirly thing and hear me saying woop-de-do.
    >
    > :)

    Hehe. Thought you might care as much! Only reason I mentioned it is
    that I saw one of the many assumed ID's belonging to Woger putting in
    2c to this thread... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 28, 2003