    mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.

    I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522 motherboard.
    512mb ram.

    Nick Heaps, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Nick Heaps

    ICee Guest

    Nick Heaps wrote:
    > I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize
    > 33GB. My mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
    >
    > I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522
    > motherboard. 512mb ram.

    Is the drive jumpered correctly? Did you format the drive as FAT32
    volume (will only "see" 32 GB)? Since you're installing XP, format the
    drive as NTFS.

    ICee, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Nick Heaps

    Nick Heaps Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    This is a new drive and my computer, when booted from a startup disk the
    fdisk only recognizes 32mb. The drive is not formated yet.

    Nick Heaps, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Nick Heaps

    Valverdez Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Nick Heaps wrote:
    > > I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize
    > > 33GB. My mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
    > >
    > > I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522
    > > motherboard. 512mb ram.

    > Is the drive jumpered correctly? Did you format the drive as FAT32
    > volume (will only "see" 32 GB)? Since you're installing XP, format the
    > drive as NTFS.

    Your MB may only recognize smaller drives, time for a BIOS update me thinks
    :) Also, try a hard drive manager, your drive may come with one, check the
    manufacturer. I am assuming that the drive is not formated yet, as
    mentioned above "Did you format the drive as FAT32 volume (will only "see"
    32 GB)" even if you format the drive in NTFS it will not change the fact
    that the system will only "see" 32 Gb's... No, my guess is the BIOS or the
    auto recognize, try doing it manually...

    Ciao, Valverde

    Valverdez, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Nick Heaps

    ICee Guest

    Insert the XP CD, go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CD. You
    will be able to format and partition the drive as an NTFS volume, then
    follow the instructions to install XP.

    ICee, Aug 10, 2004
  6. > Thanks for the info.

    > This is a new drive and my computer, when booted from a startup disk the
    > fdisk only recognizes 32mb. The drive is not formated yet.

    I'm sure you meant to say 32gb, not mb. At any rate, it sounds like you
    have the 32gb limit set. Check and recheck the jumpers on the drive as
    well as the documentation that came with the drive. The reason it is
    there in the first place is to allow compatibility with older BIOSes, as
    some completely choke when they see a drive that big.

    David Matthew Wood, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Nick Heaps

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Nick Heaps" <> wrote:

    >I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize 33GB. My
    >mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
    >
    >I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522 motherboard.
    >512mb ram.

    Asus does not list a P4S522 model. I suspect that you meant P4S533

    That motherboard should be new enough to include support for large
    hard drives. Go to the Asus web site and check for a possible BIOS
    update for your specific model and revision number.

    Start with http://usa.asus.com/prog/p_search.asp?kp=p4s533&langs=09

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Nick Heaps

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote in

    > That motherboard should be new enough to include support for large
    > hard drives. Go to the Asus web site and check for a possible BIOS
    > update for your specific model and revision number.

    I would also have to suggest in addition to what Ron said, make sure you
    don't have a jumper on the drive to limit it to 32GB for compatibility
    purposes.

    Jim Berwick, Aug 10, 2004
  9. Howdy!

    "Nick Heaps" <> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize 33GB.

    My
    > mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.

    Remove the "Cylinder Clip" jumper.

    What make / model 120G drive is it?

    > I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522 motherboard.
    > 512mb ram.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 11, 2004
  10. Howdy!

    "Nick Heaps" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > This is a new drive and my computer, when booted from a startup disk the
    > fdisk only recognizes 32mb. The drive is not formated yet.

    How much does the BIOS see?

    And "FDISK"? If you're running XP, why FDISK? Why not let the OS
    install itself?

    Or why not use Disk Management from inside XP if it's not a new
    install of XP being put on?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 11, 2004
  11. Nick Heaps

    Atreju Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:47:08 -0400, "Nick Heaps" <>
    wrote:

    >I've just bought a 120GB drive but my computer will anly recognize 33GB. My
    >mother board is set to auto recognition for my hard drives.
    >
    >I'm running XPwith a P4 1.7mhz processor on an ASUS P4S522 motherboard.
    >512mb ram.

    I dunno about anyone else, but I'd first go ahead and upgrade that
    CPU! 1.7 MHz!

    All kidding aside, did you create the maximum partition allowed?
    Perhaps you only partitioned 33 GB?

    Click Start-Run type in DISKMGMT.MSC

    From there you should be able to remove and recreate the partition.
    USE CAUTION AND MAKE SURE YOU'RE ACCESSING THE CORRECT DRIVE.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 11, 2004