    Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
    Any idea's???

    TIA.

    BazTarD, Dec 14, 2003

  2. On 14 Dec 2003, BazTarD wrote

    > Dudes (and Dudetts)
    > Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
    > How do I go about partitioning it?
    > Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
    > Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
    > Any idea's???
    >
    > TIA.

    Download the new and improved version of FDISK from µsoft?

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - From the Department of Redundancy Department

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 14, 2003

  3. BazTarD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    BazTarD wrote:
    > Dudes (and Dudetts)
    > Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
    > How do I go about partitioning it?
    > Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
    > Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
    > Any idea's???

    LOL, I've just been through this. 98SE fdisk only saw my 80GB as 10 or so.
    You need to boot from a 98SE start-up disk with a later version of
    fdisk.exe. I have the exe here if you want me to email it to you, then you
    just delete the old one and copy this one over. It works a treat.

    You want I should email it? (and remove the _not from your addy). Some kind
    soul here gave it to me. It's only 64Kb.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 14, 2003
  4. BazTarD

    XPD Guest

    "BazTarD" <> wrote in message
    > Dudes (and Dudetts)
    > Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
    > How do I go about partitioning it?
    > Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
    > Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
    > Any idea's???
    >
    > TIA.

    Personally, any systems I build these days, I refuse to install anything
    less than Win2k on them... 98/SE/ME just seem to have issues with newer
    hardware. That IMHO anyway. Others may differ.

    Also, remember when 98/SE were released, 120gb drives for the standard
    consumer were pretty much unheard of, so wouldnt surprise me if MS skimped
    on adding support for them ;)

    XPD, Dec 14, 2003
  5. BazTarD wrote:
    > Dudes (and Dudetts)
    > Building a new system with a Samsung 120 HDD.
    > How do I go about partitioning it?
    > Would like 2 x 50 and 1 x 20 partition.
    > Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
    > Any idea's???
    >
    > TIA.

    I have mine as 1 x 10GB (with XP on it) and 4 x 25GB with other stuff.
    120GB drives seem to only format to 112GB.
    I think there's something odd about cluster sizes on partitions over 40GB?

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Dec 14, 2003
  6. BazTarD

    BazTarD Guest

    Yes Please!!!!!

    BazTarD, Dec 14, 2003
  7. BazTarD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    BazTarD wrote:
    > Yes Please!!!!!

    Ok, doing it now.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 14, 2003
  8. BazTarD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    > 120GB drives seem to only format to 112GB

    That is usually because of the counting method used by hard drive
    manufactures. It is the old 1024 bits make a byte, but not in hard drives
    story.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 14, 2003
  9. On 14 Dec 2003, Dave Taylor wrote

    > It is the old 1024 bits make a byte,

    Uhh .... they DO? Oh, my!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 14, 2003
  10. BazTarD

    Jerry Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:56:43 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >"Russell Smithies" <> wrote in
    >
    >> 120GB drives seem to only format to 112GB

    >That is usually because of the counting method used by hard drive
    >manufactures. It is the old 1024 bits make a byte, but not in hard drives
    >story.
    >Ciao, Dave

    8 bits make a byte, in most modern PCs anyway, in the RAM or the HDD.
    Some extra bits if you have parity or ECC.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Dec 14, 2003
  11. BazTarD

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 13:34:07 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > Personally, any systems I build these days, I refuse to install anything
    > less than Win2k on them... 98/SE/ME just seem to have issues with newer
    > hardware. That IMHO anyway. Others may differ.

    You are correct, others do differ.

    Gordon, Dec 14, 2003
  12. BazTarD

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>Win98SE fdisk only sees 1 x 49ish??
    >>Any idea's???

    > Download the new and improved version of FDISK from µsoft?

    Or for an easier to find one, try bootdisk.com

    T.N.O., Dec 14, 2003
  13. BazTarD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Jerry <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:56:43 GMT, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Russell Smithies" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> 120GB drives seem to only format to 112GB

    >>That is usually because of the counting method used by hard drive
    >>manufactures. It is the old 1024 bits make a byte, but not in hard
    >>drives story.
    >>Ciao, Dave

    > 8 bits make a byte, in most modern PCs anyway, in the RAM or the HDD.
    > Some extra bits if you have parity or ECC.
    >
    > Jerry

    My mistake, I meant 1024 Kilobytes per Gig.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 14, 2003
  14. BazTarD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote in news:Xns9451C3C635895nrph@
    202.37.66.2:

    > On 14 Dec 2003, Dave Taylor wrote
    >
    >> It is the old 1024 bits make a byte,

    > Uhh .... they DO? Oh, my!
    >

    >> but not in hard drives story.
    >> Ciao, Dave

    Yeah , I know, I was wrong, I meant 1024 Kilobytes per gig
    Cioa, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 14, 2003
  15. BazTarD

    T.N.O. Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    >>>That is usually because of the counting method used by hard drive
    >>>manufactures. It is the old 1024 bits make a byte, but not in hard
    >>>drives story.

    >>8 bits make a byte, in most modern PCs anyway, in the RAM or the HDD.
    >>Some extra bits if you have parity or ECC.

    > My mistake, I meant 1024 Kilobytes per Gig.

    Me thinks that you need to re-read that one again... shouldn't it be
    1024KB in 1MB? :)

    T.N.O., Dec 15, 2003
  16. BazTarD

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Dec 15, 2003
  17. BazTarD

    Petrushka Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote in news:Xns9451C3C635895nrph@
    > 202.37.66.2:
    >
    >>On 14 Dec 2003, Dave Taylor wrote
    >>

    >>>It is the old 1024 bits make a byte,

    >>Uhh .... they DO? Oh, my!
    >>
    >>>but not in hard drives story.
    >>>Ciao, Dave

    > Yeah , I know, I was wrong, I meant 1024 Kilobytes per gig
    > Cioa, Dave

    Perhaps you mean 1024 Kilobytes per meg :)

    --
    de_meun at yahoo d0t com
    Wellington, NZ

    Petrushka, Dec 15, 2003
  18. BazTarD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in news:briukn$3lrhg$1@ID-
    183327.news.uni-berlin.de:

    >>>8 bits make a byte, in most modern PCs anyway, in the RAM or the HDD.
    >>>Some extra bits if you have parity or ECC.

    >> My mistake, I meant 1024 Kilobytes per Gig.

    > Me thinks that you need to re-read that one again... shouldn't it be
    > 1024KB in 1MB? :)

    yes. <crawls into corner>

    Dave Taylor, Dec 15, 2003
  19. BazTarD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Petrushka <> wrote in news:1071447729.720182
    @bats.mcs.vuw.ac.nz:

    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote in

    >> 202.37.66.2:
    >>
    >>>On 14 Dec 2003, Dave Taylor wrote

    >>>Uhh .... they DO? Oh, my!

    >> Yeah , I know, I was wrong, I meant 1024 Kilobytes per gig
    >> Cioa, Dave

    > Perhaps you mean 1024 Kilobytes per meg :)

    Yes , I did.

    Dave Taylor, Dec 15, 2003
  20. BazTarD

    DaveD Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in news:briukn$3lrhg$1@ID-

    > > Me thinks that you need to re-read that one again... shouldn't it be
    > > 1024KB in 1MB? :)
    > >

    > yes. <crawls into corner>

    bad hair day ???

    I am having one too