12016/GRP sending LCP reconfigs on established Multilink PPP session

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Hardin, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. John Hardin

    John Hardin Guest

    All:

    I'm trying to install a pair of T1s using Multilink PPP to connect my
    Linux + Sangoma Wanpipe firewall/router to my ISP's Cisco 12016/GRP
    running v12.0 of (I assume) IOS.

    The PPP sessions all establish just fine, but anywhere from thirty seconds
    to ten minutes from the initial connect, and occurring fairly frequently
    thereafter, the Cisco starts sending LCP ConfReqs with a new magic number.
    This tears down the existing PPP link and rebuilds it.

    This is causing me problems due to software issues on my end that I am
    working on. However, even *without* my software problem killing the link,
    having these constant reconfigures is annoying - how much of my bandwidth
    is going to be lost to reconfiguring the PPP link every few minutes?

    Can anybody tell me WHY the Cisco wants to reconfigure the link so much?
    And is there any way to turn that behavior off? My ISP's escalated support
    rep spent about an hour poking around in configuration options trying to
    find something to control it and couldn't.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    --
    John Hardin KA7OHZ <>
    Internal Systems Administrator voice: (425) 672-1304

    John Hardin, Nov 4, 2004

  2. John Hardin

    John Hardin Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:18:58 +0000, John Hardin wrote:

    > All:
    >
    > I'm trying to install a pair of T1s using Multilink PPP to connect my
    > Linux + Sangoma Wanpipe firewall/router to my ISP's Cisco 12016/GRP
    > running v12.0 of (I assume) IOS.
    >
    > The PPP sessions all establish just fine, but anywhere from thirty seconds
    > to ten minutes from the initial connect, and occurring fairly frequently
    > thereafter, the Cisco starts sending LCP ConfReqs with a new magic number.
    > This tears down the existing PPP link and rebuilds it.

    I have fixed this. It appears to be a bug in Cisco's PPP code. Please see
    my other post in this group.

    --
    John Hardin
    Internal Systems Administrator (Seattle)

    John Hardin, Nov 10, 2004