    this.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Alfred Molon

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 30, 6:34 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > ...from the Casio EX-F1, the fastest camera in the world. Even at full
    > resolution of 6MP it is capable of 60 images/second. No DSLR can match
    > this.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    Sure DSLRs arren't designed to do this, no mirror and an electronic
    shutter work wonders. For some stuff 60 fps isn't fast enough, then
    you need a rotating mirror high speed camera. Now how do the results
    compare to a high res Red Dot video camera? Without a serious rethink
    of DSLR design, maybe a stationary mirror ala 1980's Canon, I doubt
    you can get above 12 fps. The Casio seem right on the edge of what I
    need to do eyelid blink studies. Thanks for the info.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 31, 2008

  3. tomm42 wrote:
    > Without a serious rethink
    > of DSLR design, maybe a stationary mirror ala 1980's Canon, I doubt
    > you can get above 12 fps. The Casio seem right on the edge of what I
    > need to do eyelid blink studies. Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Tom

    Film cameras have used mirrors for some time, and have no difficulty
    working above 12fps.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 31, 2008
  4. Alfred Molon wrote:
    > ...from the Casio EX-F1, the fastest camera in the world. Even at full
    > resolution of 6MP it is capable of 60 images/second. No DSLR can match
    > this.

    The latest John Deere tractor is capable of plowing 24 tracks up to 1,5
    feet deep simultaneously, no Ferrari can match this.
    Laszlo

    Laszlo Lebrun, Jan 31, 2008
  5. Alfred Molon

    -hh Guest

    Laszlo Lebrun <> wrote:

    > The latest John Deere tractor is capable of plowing 24 tracks
    > up to 1,5 feet deep simultaneously, no Ferrari can match this.

    Nicely said.

    I don't know if it is the fastest or not, but the Vision Research
    Phantom v12 does 6,315 fps at full resolution, and at partial frame
    rates, now can hit one million frames/sec.

    It is also available with an optional minimum shutter speed of 300ns.
    Yes, "ns" means nanoseconds, not "ms" or even "ìs". In conventional
    camera terms, 300 ns is a shutter speed of 1/3,333,333 sec.

    Of course, the VR cameras aren't exactly a 'consumer' camera in terms
    of their price, but they are available to the public for purchase,
    and they do take a standard Nikon lens mount :).

    These Phantoms are also not a new product: I used a VR Phantom 5
    roughly a half decade ago. That was capable of up to ~95,000 partial
    frames/sec; its minimum shutter speed was 2 ìs (1/500,000sec).

    -hh

    -hh, Jan 31, 2008
  6. Alfred Molon

    Ali Guest

    Maybe someone should have told this guy. All that time and effort, when all
    he needed was a Casio EX-F1. ;-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuyVz89AXg

    Ali, Jan 31, 2008
  7. In message
    <>, -hh
    <> writes

    >I don't know if it is the fastest or not, but the Vision Research
    >Phantom v12 does 6,315 fps at full resolution, and at partial frame
    >rates, now can hit one million frames/sec.

    I've been inside[1] a camera that was rated at 10 million frames/second
    at its fastest speed. Very useful for taking pictures of stuff that was
    moving fast. It also helped if the event being photographed was
    self-illuminating (e.g. explosions)

    [1] A hemispherical dome-shaped room covered on the inside with film
    guide strips (60mm wide, I think) and a motorised multi-faceted mirror
    system in the middle.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, Feb 1, 2008
  8. Alfred Molon

    -hh Guest

    Robert Sneddon <> wrote:

    >  I've been inside[1] a camera that was rated at 10 million frames/second
    > at its fastest speed. Very useful for taking pictures of stuff that was
    > moving fast. It also helped if the event being photographed was
    > self-illuminating (e.g. explosions)
    >
    >  [1] A hemispherical dome-shaped room covered on the inside with film
    > guide strips (60mm wide, I think) and a motorised multi-faceted mirror
    > system in the middle.

    There were those and there were 'streak' cameras too, back in the
    day. Digital is saving a lot of time and a lot of money. And you're
    right: when the exposure times get really short, you need A LOT of
    light. Nothing like going to a supervisor to ask them if you can tap
    50A off of their 480VAC lines.

    -hh

    -hh, Feb 2, 2008