    Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
    backward compatible with 12.4 T ?

    Any help willl be appreciated

    [FX] Tarandeep singh, Dec 11, 2008

  2. [FX] Tarandeep singh

    Thrill5 Guest

    Only in very limited instances are commands deprecated in IOS. More than
    likely the features included in the feature-set you are using has changed.
    IOS version are broken down into the basic features, and then features are
    added until you have a version that has every feature (usually called
    advanced enterprise). As features become more popular, they are included in
    the more basic feature-sets, and as they become less popular they move up
    toward enterprise. With 12.4,

    Cisco has tool on CCO that can help you determine which feature set you need
    for the version of IOS you want to run.

    Thrill5, Dec 12, 2008

  3. [FX] Tarandeep singh

    bod43 Guest

    On 12 Dec, 02:03, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > Only in very limited instances are commands deprecated in IOS.  More than
    > likely the features included in the feature-set you are using has changed..
    > IOS version are broken down into the basic features, and then features are
    > added until you have a version that has every feature (usually called
    > advanced enterprise).  As features become more popular, they are included in
    > the more basic feature-sets, and as they become less popular they move up
    > toward enterprise.  With 12.4,
    >
    > Cisco has tool on CCO that can help you determine which feature set you need
    > for the version of IOS you want to run.
    >
    > "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
    > > from 12.3
    > > And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
    > > Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
    > > backward compatible with 12.4 T ?

    > > Any help willl be appreciated- Hide quoted text -

    As Thrill5 states, it is very very very extremely unusual
    to find any compatibility issues with an IOS upgrade.
    I have in more than 10 years never found such a case
    in practise. I have found that the config has been
    changed automatically - such as SSID in the recent
    router IOS not within the "interface" config but is in the
    global config.

    Not upgrading to the correct feature set does seem the most likely
    cause.

    One other thing is that the "T" train is used to publish additional
    features at the earliest opportunity and you should aviod it if at
    all possible for productiom since it is more likely to contain bugs.

    Stick to the base 12.4 if you don't need the "T" features.

    www.cisco.co/go/fn is the official Feature Navigator.

    If you still have trouble post the failed config elements
    and the full IOS versions and feature sets.
    e.g.
    sh ver
    Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version
    12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
    <...snipped...>
    System image file is "flash:c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin"

    bod43, Dec 12, 2008
  4. "bod43" <> wrote in message
    On 12 Dec, 02:03, "Thrill5" <> wrote:

    >As Thrill5 states, it is very very very extremely unusual
    >to find any compatibility issues with an IOS upgrade.
    >I have in more than 10 years never found such a case
    >in practise. I have found that the config has been
    >changed automatically - such as SSID in the recent
    >router IOS not within the "interface" config but is in the
    >global config.

    I had isssues with IP SLA feature. Cisco has changed the syntax of ip sla
    feature commands in one of the 12.4T versions - I don't remember which
    one. After upgrade my IP SLA has gone :( I don't understand why they
    changing syntax or why in the case of syntax change there is sometimes no
    backward compatibility.

    Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto, Dec 12, 2008
  5. On Dec 11, 5:58 pm, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <> wrote:
    > In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
    > from 12.3
    > And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
    > Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
    > backward compatible with 12.4 T ?
    >
    > Any help willl be appreciated

    My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
    classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
    fixed NAT but what about other changes.

    [FX] Tarandeep singh, Dec 12, 2008
  6. On Dec 12, 2:00 pm, "Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto"

    [FX] Tarandeep singh, Dec 12, 2008
  7. On Dec 12, 2:00 pm, "Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto"
    <-com.hr> wrote:
    > "bod43" <> wrote in message

    > On 12 Dec, 02:03, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    >
    > >As Thrill5 states, it is very very very extremely unusual
    > >to find any compatibility issues with an IOS upgrade.
    > >I have in more than 10 years never found such a case
    > >in practise. I have found that the config has been
    > >changed automatically - such as SSID in the recent
    > >router IOS not within the "interface" config but is in the
    > >global config.

    > I had isssues with IP SLA feature. Cisco has changed the syntax of ip sla
    > feature commands  in one of the 12.4T versions  - I don't remember which
    > one. After upgrade my IP SLA has gone :( I don't understand why they
    > changing syntax or why in the case of syntax change there is sometimes no
    > backward compatibility.

    My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
    classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
    fixed NAT but what about other changes.

    Regards,
    http://www.Taranfx.com

    [FX] Tarandeep singh, Dec 12, 2008
  8. "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <> wrote in message

    >My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
    >classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
    >fixed NAT but what about other changes.

    before upgrade it is advisable to check official cisco release notes about
    new release. In release notes they should say something about
    incompatibilities with previous versions.

    Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto, Dec 12, 2008
  9. There are many, many bugs centered around IOS, especially the "T" train.
    In particular, multicast, packet re-marking, QoS, voice gateway/DSP, and
    compression (RTP and TCP header) functions. Overall, the "T" train seems
    to have the most hardware compatibility issues and software bugs. I run
    a medium converged enterprise network, including thousands of VoIP
    endpoints, multicast, and video. I avoid the "T" train like the plague
    and have experienced decent success with the regular 12.4 train,
    Advanced IP Services. In terms of IOS, in general, I can't say that I've
    seen a ton of CLI command/syntax changes, but bugs - oh yeah. Can't
    begin to tell you how many upgrades I've had to roll back because a WAN
    aggregation router, edge router, or voice gateway rolled over and
    reloaded for no apparent reason. Even had a 7200 VXR with MIX ports (T1
    PRI) reload when enabling an ISDN Q.931 debug. That wasn't cool. Most of
    the bugs have been related to converged network functions (especially
    voice/QoS), and in my network, that's been a killer. Then, there are the
    bugs for functions that have been around forever (Multicast? TCP header
    compression? Seriously!).

    You just never know what you'll find, especially with the "T" train.
    Unless you absolutely require the extra functionality support of "T",
    you'd be better off with mainline 12.4. If so, just be forewarned. Of
    course, YMMV. :)

    fugettaboutit, Dec 12, 2008
  10. [FX] Tarandeep singh

    Stephen Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:08:31 -0800 (PST), "[FX] Tarandeep singh"
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 11, 5:58 pm, "[FX] Tarandeep singh" <> wrote:
    >> In my organization, we have migrated one of our test networks to 12.4T
    >> from 12.3
    >> And we had been finding it hard to get all things up and running.
    >> Is there any whitepaper on what has CLI have changed that are not
    >> backward compatible with 12.4 T ?
    >>
    >> Any help willl be appreciated

    >My Concern is, After upgrading not all QoS is working. Certain
    >classification/PHBs are failing. Also NAT did not work correctly. I
    >fixed NAT but what about other changes.

    maybe if you explained which features do not work, and what symptoms
    you see, someone could help you.

    given that QoS covers 100s of features on dozens of platform your
    "clarification" needs a bit more detail.
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    Stephen, Dec 12, 2008