11g 0r 11b?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by geepeetee, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. geepeetee

    geepeetee Guest

    Hi

    The time has come for me to create a wireless network of the growing numbers
    of computers in our house, mainly for internet access.

    I have already networked the desktop pc and my laptop using dlink 11b cards
    (all is well).

    I have a query, my daughters new laptop will detect a neighbours secure
    network but my laptop wont even when they are together. Could this be
    because hers has 11g and mine is 11b.

    To combine 11g and 11b cards should i use an 11b wireless router or wont it
    make any difference, dont really want to replace my 2 11b cars if i can
    avoid it?

    thanks

    Gary

    --
    Visit my websites at
    www.justjents.co.uk

    geepeetee, Jul 31, 2006

  2. geepeetee

    Lem Guest

    geepeetee wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > The time has come for me to create a wireless network of the growing numbers
    > of computers in our house, mainly for internet access.
    >
    > I have already networked the desktop pc and my laptop using dlink 11b cards
    > (all is well).
    >
    > I have a query, my daughters new laptop will detect a neighbours secure
    > network but my laptop wont even when they are together. Could this be
    > because hers has 11g and mine is 11b.

    Yes

    > To combine 11g and 11b cards should i use an 11b wireless router or wont it
    > make any difference, dont really want to replace my 2 11b cars if i can
    > avoid it?

    You will need an 802.11(g) router. This will be backwards compatible
    with 802.11(b), so your old cards will work. If you get an 802.11(b)
    router, your daughter's laptop won't work with it.

    As far as keeping your old cards, consider that although mixing (b) and
    (g) devices on the same network will work, at least when (g) first came
    out, this degraded the overall performance of the (g) devices. I don't
    know if this has been remedied in more recent (g) routers.

    Further, your 11(g) cards probably only support WEP encryption. Unless
    you like living dangerously, you should upgrade to an 11(g) router and
    new 11(g) cards that support WPA (and possibly WPA2) -- assuming that
    your daughter's new laptop also can support WPA or WPA2. All devices on
    a network -- router and all connecting PCs -- must use the same level of
    encryption.

    Lem, Jul 31, 2006

  3. geepeetee

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    What ever you buy, should be 802.11g, it is better and capable of providing
    better security than 802.11b (most of the pure 802.11b devices are old, I
    doubt that any of the Brands still make 802.11b only).
    802.11g is downward compatible with 802.11b and you old cards should work as
    well.
    802.11g can be set to work with 802.11g only, or with a mix of 802.11g and
    802.11b, could be that the Wireless source that you are trying to connect to
    is set to 802.11g only.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 31, 2006
  4. geepeetee

    Lem Guest

    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow wrote:
    > Lem <> wrote in news:#ewY$lNtGHA.4472
    > @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> Further, your 11(g) cards probably only support WEP encryption.

    > That should read:
    > "Further, your 11(b) cards probably only support WEP encryption."

    right. typing too fast. and the bit about the new laptop not working
    with an 11(b) router is probably wrong as well. I know 11(g) routers
    can handle both 11(b) and 11(g) clients, but I've never really looked to
    see if an 11(g) client can communicate with an 11(b) router.

    Lem, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Lem <> wrote in news:#ewY$lNtGHA.4472
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Jul 31, 2006
  6. Lem <> wrote in

    > Frazer Jolly Goodfellow wrote:
    >> Lem <> wrote in news:#ewY$lNtGHA.4472
    >> @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >>> Further, your 11(g) cards probably only support WEP
    >>> encryption.

    >> That should read:
    >> "Further, your 11(b) cards probably only support WEP
    >> encryption."

    > right. typing too fast. and the bit about the new laptop not
    > working with an 11(b) router is probably wrong as well. I know
    > 11(g) routers can handle both 11(b) and 11(g) clients, but I've
    > never really looked to see if an 11(g) client can communicate
    > with an 11(b) router.

    ....missed that one too :)
    Yes, 11g is backwards compatible with 11b, so an 11g client works OK
    with an 11b router.

    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Jul 31, 2006