    the Kodak, Olympus, and read about the new Canon S1. I really don't
    know what is the best choice and would like some feedback.

    Thanks for your help.

    sja68, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Theres the Panasonic Lumix series with Leica lens. It is spoken of well.

    Regards, Guenter

    Guenter Fieblinger, Mar 3, 2004

  3. sja68

    al-Farrob Guest

    sja68 wrote:

    > Hi, I would like to purchase a camera with 10x zoom. I've looked at
    > the Kodak, Olympus, and read about the new Canon S1. I really don't
    > know what is the best choice and would like some feedback.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I have an Olympus c-730uz and I like it very much
    Now you have the 740 which is almost alike and the 750

    --
    al-Farrob

    al-Farrob, Mar 3, 2004
  4. sja68

    ellis veech Guest

    I've got one of the first 740s and have had real good results with it.

    --
    Ellis Veech

    ellis veech, Mar 3, 2004
  5. sja68

    SD Guest

    sja68 wrote:

    > Hi, I would like to purchase a camera with 10x zoom. I've looked at
    > the Kodak, Olympus, and read about the new Canon S1. I really don't
    > know what is the best choice and would like some feedback.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Also check out the Toshiba PDR M700 (Canon lens), Minolta Dimage Z1 (I
    think theres also a Z2 now).

    SD, Mar 3, 2004
  6. sja68 wrote:
    > Hi, I would like to purchase a camera with 10x zoom. I've looked at
    > the Kodak, Olympus, and read about the new Canon S1. I really don't
    > know what is the best choice and would like some feedback.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I bought a Kodak DX6490, because it was $200 (Australian) cheaper than the
    Olympus 750. I would have bought the Olympus if I could afford it because it has
    1 more megapixel I believe, and possibly a manual focus which I wish my DX6490
    had.

    --
    Ben Thomas

    Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
    limit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Mar 3, 2004
  7. >
    > I bought a Kodak DX6490, because it was $200 (Australian) cheaper than the
    > Olympus 750. I would have bought the Olympus if I could afford it because

    it has
    > 1 more megapixel I believe, and possibly a manual focus which I wish my

    DX6490
    > had.
    >
    > --
    > Ben Thomas

    No they both have the same amount of pixels, in fact the Kodak has just a
    few dozen more.
    Have been trying out a 6490 for a week and am very impressed with it,
    especially it's gorgeous big screen and it's brilliant low light
    auto-focus - with that you don't really need manual focus :)
    But all things considered the Olympus has slightly better performance - more
    functions and less compression than the Kodak - that's probably the only
    real downer with the 6490 - even at max quality it's compression is too
    high - great for small file sizes but no good when cropping and enlarging
    especially where there are large solid areas or even worse - human
    faces/flesh involved.

    BTW Megamart have both the Kodak and the Oly750 at the same price of $849 at
    the moment (yes we are ripped off down under!) - probably because of the new
    Oly 770 that's due in April....

    AngryofMayfair, Mar 3, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    (sja68) wrote:

    > Hi, I would like to purchase a camera with 10x zoom. I've looked at
    > the Kodak, Olympus, and read about the new Canon S1. I really don't
    > know what is the best choice and would like some feedback.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Check the camera reviews. In your case the lens quality will be very
    important. A sharp 10x zoom is non-trivial to construct. Inexpensive
    compact wide-range zoom lenses typically stop gaining detail past 6x.
    After that the results are no better than digital zoom.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 4, 2004
  9. AngryofMayfair wrote:
    >>I bought a Kodak DX6490, because it was $200 (Australian) cheaper than the
    >>Olympus 750. I would have bought the Olympus if I could afford it because

    > it has
    >
    >> 1 more megapixel I believe, and possibly a manual focus which I wish my

    > DX6490
    >
    >>had.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ben Thomas

    > No they both have the same amount of pixels, in fact the Kodak has just a
    > few dozen more.
    > Have been trying out a 6490 for a week and am very impressed with it,
    > especially it's gorgeous big screen and it's brilliant low light
    > auto-focus - with that you don't really need manual focus :)
    > But all things considered the Olympus has slightly better performance - more
    > functions and less compression than the Kodak - that's probably the only
    > real downer with the 6490 - even at max quality it's compression is too
    > high - great for small file sizes but no good when cropping and enlarging
    > especially where there are large solid areas or even worse - human
    > faces/flesh involved.
    >
    > BTW Megamart have both the Kodak and the Oly750 at the same price of $849 at
    > the moment (yes we are ripped off down under!) - probably because of the new
    > Oly 770 that's due in April....

    I bought my DX6490 for $860 at JB HiFi 4.5 months ago. At that time, they were
    retailing for $1000 and on sale for $50 less. I haggled hard. The oly was $200
    more I think.

    On a side note, I took a photo yesterday with my 6490 that was 1.8Mb in size.
    I don't think there was much compression in that one.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Mar 4, 2004
  10. sja68

    John Navas Guest

    In <r5582c.48e.ln@192.168.11.2> on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:59:03 GMT, BenOneĀ©
    <> wrote:

    >AngryofMayfair wrote:

    >On a side note, I took a photo yesterday with my 6490 that was 1.8Mb in size.
    >I don't think there was much compression in that one.

    4 MP true color uncompressed TIFF is 12 MB, so that image was compressed
    almost 7:1, which is significant.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Mar 4, 2004
  11. sja68

    JJ Guest

    Guenter Fieblinger <> wrote:
    >Theres the Panasonic Lumix series with Leica lens. It is spoken of well.
    >Regards, Guenter

    Yep, there is the 4 meg DMC-FZ10K for $600 list and ~$500 street.
    It has a dslr form factor and is not a pocket sized camera.
    I'm seriously considering this camera as a stop gap until Nikon either
    puts out a less than $1500 dslr that will meter with my manual focus
    lens or gets put out of bidness by Canon. :) (or I might just get
    the D70...)

    I think there is also a 2 meg version with the same/similar Leica
    lens. One wag on one of the digicam websites said to put some black
    tape over the Panasonic label and tell people it is a Leica camera.
    If I get one, I am doing this! :)

    Jay

    JJ, Mar 5, 2004
  12. > I bought my DX6490 for $860 at JB HiFi 4.5 months ago. At that time, they
    were
    > retailing for $1000 and on sale for $50 less. I haggled hard. The oly was

    $200
    > more I think.

    JB still have both the Oly750 & the Kodak 6490 on the shelf at $999 despite
    them selling at Megamart for $849, perhaps they know that Megamart have
    nothing but the demo models of the 750 left and are also close to nil stk on
    the 6490.
    I exchanged the 6490 for the Oly750 and i can't say that I am over the moon
    about the swap - perhaps I have been spoilt be the large Kodak LCD and it's
    excellent useability as I am really struggling with the 750's teeeny screen
    and convoluted menu system - far less user-friendly. Still, I am hoping
    that the aquaintence will grow and once I find my way around the menu then
    hopefully I can acheive some comparable if not better results to the
    Kodak...
    The Oly's low light auto focus is a joke though - totally useless compared
    to Kodak's excellent (almost night vision) screen boost and 'hybrid'
    auto-focus system...
    Also when you add the additional costs of the required XD card ($230) which
    was not a prob with the Kodak as I already had a 256mb SD card to use with
    it, plus the fact that Olympus Australia does not see us worthy enough to
    supply a set of rechargables and a charger (another $90) like they do in the
    US (for less than $500 US all up!) and then you find that they also try and
    screw another $20 US out of you to upgrade from the supplied 'light'
    software to the real thing, hmm, I'm beginning to smell a rat here.... :-(

    AngryofMayfair, Mar 5, 2004
  13. sja68

    Dave Guest

    (sja68) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi, I would like to purchase a camera with 10x zoom. I've looked at
    > the Kodak, Olympus, and read about the new Canon S1. I really don't
    > know what is the best choice and would like some feedback.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    See if the FZ10 owners have assembled a gripe list...

    http://forums.dpreview.com//forums/forum.asp?forum=1033

    Dave, Mar 5, 2004
  14. sja68

    Ron Hunter Guest

    AngryofMayfair wrote:

    >>I bought my DX6490 for $860 at JB HiFi 4.5 months ago. At that time, they

    > were
    >
    >>retailing for $1000 and on sale for $50 less. I haggled hard. The oly was

    > $200
    >
    >>more I think.

    > JB still have both the Oly750 & the Kodak 6490 on the shelf at $999 despite
    > them selling at Megamart for $849, perhaps they know that Megamart have
    > nothing but the demo models of the 750 left and are also close to nil stk on
    > the 6490.
    > I exchanged the 6490 for the Oly750 and i can't say that I am over the moon
    > about the swap - perhaps I have been spoilt be the large Kodak LCD and it's
    > excellent useability as I am really struggling with the 750's teeeny screen
    > and convoluted menu system - far less user-friendly. Still, I am hoping
    > that the aquaintence will grow and once I find my way around the menu then
    > hopefully I can acheive some comparable if not better results to the
    > Kodak...
    > The Oly's low light auto focus is a joke though - totally useless compared
    > to Kodak's excellent (almost night vision) screen boost and 'hybrid'
    > auto-focus system...
    > Also when you add the additional costs of the required XD card ($230) which
    > was not a prob with the Kodak as I already had a 256mb SD card to use with
    > it, plus the fact that Olympus Australia does not see us worthy enough to
    > supply a set of rechargables and a charger (another $90) like they do in the
    > US (for less than $500 US all up!) and then you find that they also try and
    > screw another $20 US out of you to upgrade from the supplied 'light'
    > software to the real thing, hmm, I'm beginning to smell a rat here.... :-(

    Why do I get the impression you would have been happier, and better off,
    staying with the Kodak?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Yeah.. I'm confused.

    russell