    "With today's introduction, HP now has the broadest portfolio of cameras
    with in-camera red-eye removal under $500."

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Daniel Silevitch

    bluezfolk Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > So, I was browsing the news stories on dpreview, and one of the latest
    > items was an announcement of a new set of compact cameras from HP. One
    > of them, a 10 MP model, features 30x "total" zoom, 3x optical, and 10x
    > digital. Is that a record for digital zoom? Am I the only one who thinks
    > that this is completely, utterly, and totally useless?
    >
    > Let's see: 10 MP, 10x digital. That means that 100 kilopixels worth of
    > sensor will be upsampled to make a 10MP image. Yeah, that'll work...
    >
    > That's even ignoring the fact that 10MP on a thumbnail-sized chip isn't
    > really the best starting point for massive upscaling.
    >
    > And, for additional amusement, the marketer's attempt to find some
    > unique feature in HP's product line:
    > "With today's introduction, HP now has the broadest portfolio of cameras
    > with in-camera red-eye removal under $500."

    > -dms

    It does seem like it may never be used by the average photographer.
    I wonder if they had something other than a sales pitch in mind when
    it was designed. Looks like HP will try anything to try to get some
    sales from Canon, Nikon etc. it a tough market.

    Eric

    bluezfolk, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Daniel Silevitch

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > So, I was browsing the news stories on dpreview, and one of the latest
    > items was an announcement of a new set of compact cameras from HP. One
    > of them, a 10 MP model, features 30x "total" zoom, 3x optical, and 10x
    > digital. Is that a record for digital zoom? Am I the only one who thinks
    > that this is completely, utterly, and totally useless?
    >
    > Let's see: 10 MP, 10x digital. That means that 100 kilopixels worth of
    > sensor will be upsampled to make a 10MP image. Yeah, that'll work...
    >
    > That's even ignoring the fact that 10MP on a thumbnail-sized chip isn't
    > really the best starting point for massive upscaling.
    >
    > And, for additional amusement, the marketer's attempt to find some
    > unique feature in HP's product line:
    > "With today's introduction, HP now has the broadest portfolio of cameras
    > with in-camera red-eye removal under $500."

    I've no idea why manufacturers still add a digital zoom feature -
    probably adds to the selling point to first time buyers. I remember the
    first digital movie cameras boasting a 300x digital zoom!

    Stewy, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Daniel Silevitch

    tomm42 Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > So, I was browsing the news stories on dpreview, and one of the latest
    > items was an announcement of a new set of compact cameras from HP. One
    > of them, a 10 MP model, features 30x "total" zoom, 3x optical, and 10x
    > digital. Is that a record for digital zoom? Am I the only one who thinks
    > that this is completely, utterly, and totally useless?
    >
    > Let's see: 10 MP, 10x digital. That means that 100 kilopixels worth of
    > sensor will be upsampled to make a 10MP image. Yeah, that'll work...
    >
    > That's even ignoring the fact that 10MP on a thumbnail-sized chip isn't
    > really the best starting point for massive upscaling.
    >
    > And, for additional amusement, the marketer's attempt to find some
    > unique feature in HP's product line:
    > "With today's introduction, HP now has the broadest portfolio of cameras
    > with in-camera red-eye removal under $500."

    > -dms

    Using the 10x digital zoom a 10mp camera photo will be 1mp picture. All
    digital zoom is is cropping an image. 10mp gives you room to do this
    but a 1/10 crop is absurd. If they are advertising the digital zoom
    check to see if the camera is a real 10mp, not 3mp or something
    interpolated. I thought most manufacturers had stopped advertising
    digital zoom because most consumers were wise to the sham.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Daniel Silevitch

    Scott W Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > > So, I was browsing the news stories on dpreview, and one of the latest
    > > items was an announcement of a new set of compact cameras from HP. One
    > > of them, a 10 MP model, features 30x "total" zoom, 3x optical, and 10x
    > > digital. Is that a record for digital zoom? Am I the only one who thinks
    > > that this is completely, utterly, and totally useless?
    > >
    > > Let's see: 10 MP, 10x digital. That means that 100 kilopixels worth of
    > > sensor will be upsampled to make a 10MP image. Yeah, that'll work...
    > >
    > > That's even ignoring the fact that 10MP on a thumbnail-sized chip isn't
    > > really the best starting point for massive upscaling.
    > >
    > > And, for additional amusement, the marketer's attempt to find some
    > > unique feature in HP's product line:
    > > "With today's introduction, HP now has the broadest portfolio of cameras
    > > with in-camera red-eye removal under $500."

    > > -dms

    > Using the 10x digital zoom a 10mp camera photo will be 1mp picture. All
    > digital zoom is is cropping an image. 10mp gives you room to do this
    > but a 1/10 crop is absurd. If they are advertising the digital zoom
    > check to see if the camera is a real 10mp, not 3mp or something
    > interpolated. I thought most manufacturers had stopped advertising
    > digital zoom because most consumers were wise to the sham.

    It would be more like a 0.1 mp image since the number of pixels goes as
    the square of the zoom.

    There is one reason why someone might want a digital zoom, for those
    people who print right from the memory cards and get 4 x 6 prints it is
    a kind of way to crop in the camera.

    A better solution is to really crop in the camera, which some cameras
    allow you to do, but this is more work so a lot of people would rather
    just use the digital zoom.

    The best is not to use the digital zoom and crop the images on a
    computer, but not all people want to load there images onto a computer
    just to have them printed.

    Still a 10X digit zoom even if the camera really is 10MP is going to
    make for one ugly 4 x 6 inch print.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 1, 2006
  6. On 1 Jun 2006 12:45:02 -0700, tomm42 <> wrote:

    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >> So, I was browsing the news stories on dpreview, and one of the latest
    >> items was an announcement of a new set of compact cameras from HP. One
    >> of them, a 10 MP model, features 30x "total" zoom, 3x optical, and 10x
    >> digital. Is that a record for digital zoom? Am I the only one who thinks
    >> that this is completely, utterly, and totally useless?
    >>
    >> Let's see: 10 MP, 10x digital. That means that 100 kilopixels worth of
    >> sensor will be upsampled to make a 10MP image. Yeah, that'll work...
    >>
    >> That's even ignoring the fact that 10MP on a thumbnail-sized chip isn't
    >> really the best starting point for massive upscaling.
    >>
    >> And, for additional amusement, the marketer's attempt to find some
    >> unique feature in HP's product line:
    >> "With today's introduction, HP now has the broadest portfolio of cameras
    >> with in-camera red-eye removal under $500."

    >> -dms

    > Using the 10x digital zoom a 10mp camera photo will be 1mp picture. All
    > digital zoom is is cropping an image. 10mp gives you room to do this
    > but a 1/10 crop is absurd. If they are advertising the digital zoom
    > check to see if the camera is a real 10mp, not 3mp or something
    > interpolated. I thought most manufacturers had stopped advertising
    > digital zoom because most consumers were wise to the sham.

    No, it's actually a 0.1 mp picture. The zoom factor is linear; you have
    to square it to get the number of pixels: 10x zoom = 100 image pixels
    for every sensor pixel. Digital zoom isn't just cropping; it's cropping,
    followed by upscaling back to the original number of pixels. The first
    step is fine; the second step is a complete waste.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 1, 2006
  7. On 1 Jun 2006 12:56:09 -0700, Scott W <> wrote:

    > Still a 10X digit zoom even if the camera really is 10MP is going to
    > make for one ugly 4 x 6 inch print.

    Just for giggles, let's run the numbers. 100,000 source pixels before
    upscaling, so say roughly 400x300 pixels worth of actual information.
    That will let you print at 4x6 at roughly 66 pixels/inch. Ouch. But, on
    the flip side, you get a "make your picture look like an Impressionist
    painting" filter for free...

    And, to add insult to injury, each of these pictures will probably chew
    up 3 or 4 megs worth of card space.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 1, 2006
  8. Daniel Silevitch

    Scott W Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On 1 Jun 2006 12:45:02 -0700, tomm42 <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > >> So, I was browsing the news stories on dpreview, and one of the latest
    > >> items was an announcement of a new set of compact cameras from HP. One
    > >> of them, a 10 MP model, features 30x "total" zoom, 3x optical, and 10x
    > >> digital. Is that a record for digital zoom? Am I the only one who thinks
    > >> that this is completely, utterly, and totally useless?
    > >>
    > >> Let's see: 10 MP, 10x digital. That means that 100 kilopixels worth of
    > >> sensor will be upsampled to make a 10MP image. Yeah, that'll work...
    > >>
    > >> That's even ignoring the fact that 10MP on a thumbnail-sized chip isn't
    > >> really the best starting point for massive upscaling.
    > >>
    > >> And, for additional amusement, the marketer's attempt to find some
    > >> unique feature in HP's product line:
    > >> "With today's introduction, HP now has the broadest portfolio of cameras
    > >> with in-camera red-eye removal under $500."

    > >> -dms

    > > Using the 10x digital zoom a 10mp camera photo will be 1mp picture. All
    > > digital zoom is is cropping an image. 10mp gives you room to do this
    > > but a 1/10 crop is absurd. If they are advertising the digital zoom
    > > check to see if the camera is a real 10mp, not 3mp or something
    > > interpolated. I thought most manufacturers had stopped advertising
    > > digital zoom because most consumers were wise to the sham.

    > No, it's actually a 0.1 mp picture. The zoom factor is linear; you have
    > to square it to get the number of pixels: 10x zoom = 100 image pixels
    > for every sensor pixel. Digital zoom isn't just cropping; it's cropping,
    > followed by upscaling back to the original number of pixels. The first
    > step is fine; the second step is a complete waste.
    >
    > -dms

    My Sony F828 does it right, if I am shooting at lower resolution then
    the CCD, say 1 MP, I can hit a button and crop the center part of the
    image. If you are shooting something that does not fill the frame even
    at max optical zoom this lets you scan card space by not recording a
    bunch of stuff that will just get cropped out latter.

    With memory cards getting so cheap this is not much of an issue but it
    was pretty handy a couple of years ago.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 1, 2006