    seen it several times.

    Bob Boudreau
    Canada
    railfan, Jun 13, 2005

  2. railfan

    SimonLW Guest

    "railfan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
    > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
    > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
    > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
    > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
    > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
    > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
    > this is.
    >
    > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
    > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
    > seen it several times.
    >
    > Bob Boudreau
    > Canada

    It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
    color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
    Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
    John
    SimonLW, Jun 13, 2005

  3. railfan

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    railfan wrote:
    > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
    > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
    > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
    > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
    > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
    > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
    > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
    > this is.
    >
    > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
    > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
    > seen it several times.
    >
    > Bob Boudreau
    > Canada

    Hi Bob...

    It's 2 mp...

    www.bytephoto.com/forums/t2745.html

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jun 13, 2005
  4. railfan

    [BnH] Guest

    I just hold one 2 hours ago. A 10mpx by Megxon , Negxon or whatever they are
    called. Blue metalic colour, similar to a Sony T7 imo :p
    and I think the sensor size is VGA only which is 640 x 480 + due to the lens
    size that is even smaller than my Motorola E1000 1.2mpx camera lens.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jun 13, 2005
  5. railfan

    Darrell Guest

    "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
    >I just hold one 2 hours ago. A 10mpx by Megxon , Negxon or whatever they
    >are called. Blue metalic colour, similar to a Sony T7 imo :p
    > and I think the sensor size is VGA only which is 640 x 480 + due to the
    > lens size that is even smaller than my Motorola E1000 1.2mpx camera lens.
    >
    > =bob=
    >
    > "railfan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
    >> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
    >> this is.

    http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1122&idaffiliate=16

    it interpolates (upsamples) a 10 megapixel file from a 640x480 113KB file.
    This has the same spec, but without the upscaling that my freebie Aiptek
    camera has. The Aiptek is not even useable as a webcam!!!
    Darrell, Jun 13, 2005
  6. railfan

    Annika1980 Guest

    >It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk.

    Perhaps it's a Sigma?
    Annika1980, Jun 13, 2005
  7. railfan

    railfan Guest

    Thanks for the info! I never had any intention of buying one, as I
    knew it was a scam. I was just interested in what the scam was. I
    have two fine Canon digitals, which work great for me!

    Bob Boudreau
    Canada
    railfan, Jun 13, 2005
  8. railfan

    SimonLW Guest

    "railfan" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the info! I never had any intention of buying one, as I
    > knew it was a scam. I was just interested in what the scam was. I
    > have two fine Canon digitals, which work great for me!
    >
    > Bob Boudreau
    > Canada

    Yes, to scale a crappy 4mp (if that) image up to 10mp is what I call a
    pretty big scam!
    SimonLW, Jun 13, 2005
  9. railfan

    Darrell Guest

    "SimonLW" <> wrote in message
    > "railfan" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the info! I never had any intention of buying one, as I
    >> knew it was a scam. I was just interested in what the scam was. I
    >> have two fine Canon digitals, which work great for me!
    >>
    >> Bob Boudreau
    >> Canada
    >>

    > Yes, to scale a crappy 4mp (if that) image up to 10mp is what I call a
    > pretty big scam!

    640x480 VGA (308 kilo pixel) is even worse!! You can get a Canon A400 for
    $180 CDN.
    Darrell, Jun 13, 2005
  10. In article <42ad6ec4$>, "SimonLW" <>
    wrote:

    > "railfan" <> wrote in message
    > > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
    > > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
    > > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
    > > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
    > > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
    > > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
    > > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
    > > this is.
    > >
    > > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
    > > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
    > > seen it several times.
    > >
    > > Bob Boudreau
    > > Canada
    > >

    > It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
    > color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
    > Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
    > John

    Er... Fuji is no stranger to upsampling scams.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 14, 2005
  11. railfan

    Darrell Guest

    "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <42ad6ec4$>, "SimonLW" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "railfan" <> wrote in message
    >> > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
    >> > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
    >> > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
    >> > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
    >> > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
    >> > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
    >> > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
    >> > this is.
    >> >
    >> > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
    >> > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
    >> > seen it several times.
    >> >
    >> > Bob Boudreau
    >> > Canada
    >> >

    >> It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
    >> color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
    >> Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
    >> John

    > Er... Fuji is no stranger to upsampling scams.

    Fuji normally pixel doubles combined with an algorithm that works. As well
    as a good lens. The Bell & Howell et al are toy cameras with rather poor
    lenses, they upsample a webcam quality308 K image (640x480) to produce a 10
    megapixel file.

    Look at the Bell & Howell specs 16 MB onboard memory, stores 141 pictures...
    Darrell, Jun 14, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    "Darrell" <> wrote:

    > "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <42ad6ec4$>, "SimonLW" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> "railfan" <> wrote in message

    > >> It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
    > >> color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
    > >> Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
    > >> John

    > > Er... Fuji is no stranger to upsampling scams.

    > Fuji normally pixel doubles combined with an algorithm that works. As well
    > as a good lens.

    No algorithm can produce an optical resolution that's double the
    physical sampling resolution. It's still an upsampling scam. Even
    their attempt to merge two similar frames, which could technically
    increase the resolution, was found to not be effective.

    The only thing that kept Fuji alive was that many other cameras with
    comparable physical resolutions had less effective imaging algorithms
    and damaging radial blur. Some early 4MP cameras had no better
    resolving power than high-end 2 and 3 MP cameras.

    > The Bell & Howell et al are toy cameras with rather poor
    > lenses, they upsample a webcam quality308 K image (640x480) to produce a 10
    > megapixel file.
    >
    > Look at the Bell & Howell specs 16 MB onboard memory, stores 141 pictures...

    Of course it's a toy. No argument there.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 15, 2005