10D White Balance and color temperature

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark C, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    I have had my 10D for about 4 months now and I am getting better at taking
    advantage of it's features. However I have a few questions that the manual
    does not address:

    In creative mode one can change the while balance settings by pressing the
    AF-WB button and then scrolling through the various presets for tunsten,
    shade, sunny, cloudy...etc....

    Then, one also has the ability to set the color temp in the menu from 2800
    to 10000.

    My question is this. When I use the presets in the AF-WB the color temp
    does not change on the menu....it stays at 5800. Perhaps I am not fully
    understanding something here. I though as one changes the white balance the
    color temp would change as well......or does it change and it just isn't
    reflected in the menue.

    Also if someone could explain when the differences between using the AF-WB
    and going to the menu to change the color temp.

    Thanx,
    Mark C
    Nashville,TN

    Mark C, Jul 28, 2003

  2. So far I've just used the presets because I don't have a color
    temperature meter - and it's easy to tweak it a little if need be with
    the Adobe RAW plugins. But through the custom functions you can create
    custom settings for common situations.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Mark C

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Mark C"

    >one also has the ability to set the color temp in the menu from 2800
    >to 10000.
    >
    >My question is this. When I use the presets in the AF-WB the color temp
    >does not change on the menu....it stays at 5800. Perhaps I am not fully
    >understanding something here. I though as one changes the white balance the
    >color temp would change as well......or does it change and it just isn't
    >reflected in the menue.

    The one in the menu is what will be used if you select the "custom" option.
    Otherwise it isn't used, so there's no reason for it to change.

    >Also if someone could explain when the differences between using the AF-WB
    >and going to the menu to change the color temp.

    Using AF-WB you are basically guessing (unless you're using flash or tungsten
    lights and are SURE of their color) and using whatever presets the camera has
    for tungsten, cloudy, bright sun, etc.

    If you have a color temperature meter like the Gossen or Minolta (they cost
    around $1,000 US) then you can measure the precise color temperature and enter
    that value in the menu and choose 'custom'.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Mark C

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Sorry, I'm mixing up the "custom" terminology a bit here. Here's the true
    skinny ...

    The Custom WB menu option lets you shoot a white subject (like the back of a
    grey card) in the light you're working in and the camera selects this color
    value for "white balance". To use this as your white balance temperature for
    subsequent images you'd return to the <AF-WB> button and select the "custom
    white balance" option.

    A different way of measuring and setting white balance is to measure it with a
    color meter and in the Menu select "Color temp." and enter the measured value
    in degrees K, then to select THIS temperature you'd return to the <AF-WB>
    button and select the "K" option.

    So you can just let the camera select it for you with Auto, OR guess at the
    temp with the presets OR shoot a white subject and set this as the white point
    OR dial in a specific measured value if you own a color meter.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 28, 2003