    10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
    selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
    to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.
    fs, Aug 15, 2004

  2. fs

    skroob Guest

    Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would you
    compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?

    skroob, Aug 15, 2004

  3. fs

    Sf Guest

    Good point, now I see that Canon might be coming out with the 20D 8.? MP at
    a 1.6 size, and that tells me that the pixels are smaller to fit them in the
    same size senior so the Noise will be going up. I hope not.

    Sf, Aug 15, 2004
  4. fs

    Sf Guest

    same size SENSOR I mean.

    Sf, Aug 15, 2004
  5. "fs" <> wrote in message
    > I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
    > 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
    > selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
    > to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

    Compare it to the Drebel(300D) as that is Canon's entry level. What lenses
    were on each dSLR body?
    Darrell Larose, Aug 15, 2004
  6. fs

    C J D Guest

    skroob wrote:

    > Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would you
    > compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?
    >
    > "fs" <> wrote in message
    > >I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
    > > 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
    > > selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
    > > to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

    Coz the prices are similar?

    Colin D.
    C J D, Aug 16, 2004
  7. fs

    MarkH Guest

    "skroob" <> wrote in

    > Thats nice, but since the D70 is nikons entry level dSLR, why would
    > you compare it to Canons mid-level dSLR?

    If I were considering whether to buy a Canon 10D or a Nikon D70, I would
    compare the two! There are many good reasons to favour the 10D out of the
    Canon range (better features than the 300D, better price than the 1Ds) and
    there are many good reasons to favour the D70 from Nikon’s range (better
    price/speed than the D100). If I were buying a new D-SLR today then my
    pick from Nikon would be the D70 and from Canon it would be the 10D.

    The obvious question that I would ask you is: If you were trying to decide
    between two cameras how could you not consider comparing them?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Aug 16, 2004
  8. "fs" <> wrote in message news:<cfBTc.253352$a24.214309@attbi_s03>...
    > I have tried the Nikon D70 again compared to the Canon
    > 10D, and the AF is still much faster on the Canon. All settings were
    > selected for one focus point so Its looks the Canon wins to me. Now I need
    > to find a good 10D somewhere around here. Need input.

    If it only worked.
    Georgette Preddy, Aug 16, 2004
  9. fs

    Mitch Alsup Guest

    "Sf" <> wrote in message news:<wGBTc.312620$XM6.67688@attbi_s53>...
    > Good point, now I see that Canon might be coming out with the 20D 8.? MP at
    > a 1.6 size, and that tells me that the pixels are smaller to fit them in the
    > same size senior so the Noise will be going up. I hope not.

    Not necessarily, in the last two years (Moores Law) the transistors
    will have become only 1/2 as large as when the 6.3 MP CMOS chip was
    first built. These transistors obstruct around 20% of the photon
    collecting area on the original sensor will now be around 10% if the
    sensor stays at 6.3 MP. Secondly, new processes are available to
    enable making the storage cell able to collect more electrons than
    before, even utilizing the area under the cell control transistors
    to retain charge.

    At the same time, Canon (or any other competent engineering team)
    will have rung even more performance out of the amplification
    and A?D processing of the camera. The combination of smaller
    transistors and better amplifiers enables the shrink of the pixels
    that make up the sensor.

    So while the original 6.3 MP sensor had a storage capacity around
    85,000e-, a new smaller cell in a newer silicon process may have
    a cell capacity around 100,000e- even though this cell is 10%
    linearly smaller than the cell it replaces.

    {{For the record, I have worked in the semiconductor industry for
    25 years, but have no information about Canon or any other camera
    manufacturer, so treat this as an educated guess.}}
    Mitch Alsup, Aug 16, 2004
  10. fs

    Sf Guest

    Good point.
    I am hoping to get the 10D, and wishing the newer version, if it comes out,
    will not blow away the 10D.

    Sf, Aug 16, 2004