10D software behaves badly - what's your experience?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ellis, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. David Ellis

    David Ellis Guest

    I've installed the driver that allows file transfer between computer
    and camera via Windows Explorer. That works well. I installed WIA
    Support from the ver. 5.0 Solution Disk.

    1) In Photoshop 7.0.1 File Open dialog box I see images on 10D. An
    attempt to open one in PS7 results in an Open dialog box message:
    "0001\Root\156CANON\IMG_5663.bmp, Path does not exist., Please verify
    correct path was given. OK" In Windows Explorer the path is shown as
    D60\156CANON\IMG_5663.bmp.

    What does "0001\Root\" part of the path mean?

    As I write this I realize I took the flash card from a D60 and put it
    into the 10D and took some shots without formatting it. Is that the
    problem? (I want to retain the numbering sequence started in the
    D60.)

    2) After installing WIA support for the 10D, there is a choice in the
    Photoshop 7.0.1 file menu: Import > WIA Support. This leads to a
    dialog box: WIA Support. The box has three items, a field labeled
    Destination Folder: (here we browse to fill in the field) and an
    Options box giving two check-marked Options: "Open Acquired Images(s)
    in Photoshop" and "Create Unique Subfolder Using Today's Date." I left
    them both checked, the default.

    When I click Start, all buttons go gray and nothing further happens.
    With the buttons grayed, the dialog box remains on screen until I use
    Windows Task Manager to end the process.

    Is anyone having any luck getting this software to work with
    applications running on XPpro 2002 SP1?

    --David

    David Ellis, Oct 1, 2003

  2. You're best off to copy the images from the card to a folder and
    then opening them from there.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 1, 2003

  3. David Ellis

    Mark B. Guest

    Forget all that. Get an external card reader and do a simple file copy to
    your hard drive. The camera was $1,500 - isn't it worth $20 to transfer
    faster and w/o all that hassle?

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 1, 2003
  4. David Ellis

    Quaoar Guest

    David Ellis wrote:
    > I've installed the driver that allows file transfer between computer
    > and camera via Windows Explorer. That works well. I installed WIA
    > Support from the ver. 5.0 Solution Disk.
    >
    > 1) In Photoshop 7.0.1 File Open dialog box I see images on 10D. An
    > attempt to open one in PS7 results in an Open dialog box message:
    > "0001\Root\156CANON\IMG_5663.bmp, Path does not exist., Please verify
    > correct path was given. OK" In Windows Explorer the path is shown as
    > D60\156CANON\IMG_5663.bmp.
    >
    > What does "0001\Root\" part of the path mean?
    >
    > As I write this I realize I took the flash card from a D60 and put it
    > into the 10D and took some shots without formatting it. Is that the
    > problem? (I want to retain the numbering sequence started in the
    > D60.)
    >
    > 2) After installing WIA support for the 10D, there is a choice in the
    > Photoshop 7.0.1 file menu: Import > WIA Support. This leads to a
    > dialog box: WIA Support. The box has three items, a field labeled
    > Destination Folder: (here we browse to fill in the field) and an
    > Options box giving two check-marked Options: "Open Acquired Images(s)
    > in Photoshop" and "Create Unique Subfolder Using Today's Date." I left
    > them both checked, the default.
    >
    > When I click Start, all buttons go gray and nothing further happens.
    > With the buttons grayed, the dialog box remains on screen until I use
    > Windows Task Manager to end the process.
    >
    > Is anyone having any luck getting this software to work with
    > applications running on XPpro 2002 SP1?
    >
    > --David

    Opening a file on removeable medium from an application is a recipe for
    disaster, IMO. Since the filetype you referenced is bmp, it might be
    that PS is attemping to write a thumbnail to the card, perhaps to a
    thumbnail database file as well. This is not healthy for the further
    operation of the medium in the camera. Further, although PS supposedly
    uses a fixed scratch area on the HD, is it certain that it is not going
    to write a temp scratch file to the medium? Anyway, the suggestion to
    download to HD before editing is well taken.

    For WIA support, what was the destination folder path? Again, I would
    definitely not open the file from the card in Photoshop until I was
    certain what the app is doing with thumbnails and scratch/temporary
    working files. Dowload is fine, although a USB2 card reader (if the
    computer has USB2) would be much faster. BTW, if these are Canon RAW
    files, PS cannot handle them at all unless the separate Canon Raw
    plug-in is installed. What camera transfer mode was being used?

    Quaoar, Oct 1, 2003
  5. David Ellis

    PTRAVEL Guest

    I'm not sure I can answer your specific questions, but I use my 10D with an
    XP Pro computer without any problems whatsoever.

    First, as I recall, Canon warns against using cards formatted in another
    camera in the 10D. Do a reformat using the camera's built-in function, or
    using Canon's software from your computer.

    Next, you should be able to see your camera as just another file storage
    device when it's connected to your camera (assuming you're using the USB
    cable). Click on "My Computer" and you'll see the Canon listed. Click on
    it, then the folder which appears, and you'll see thumbnails of all your
    images. You can change the view to display them like normal files. You can
    simply drag-and-drop them onto your hard drive (or, if you prefer) you can
    do the same thing Explorer.

    However, as someone else mentioned, the fastest and easiest way to get at
    the files is simply transfer them over using a PCM card. I picked one up
    for $15 at CompUSA, which is _not_ the cheapest source for these things.

    Though this isn't how I bring images into Photoshop 7, I tried the WIA
    import feature. First of all, you might want to try the WIA-EOS 10D option
    instead of the WIA SUPPORT. . . option, as you can skip a fairly use wizard
    that way. The latter didn't give me the grayed-out-button problem it gave
    you, but still wouldn't work; Photoshop reported a "Problem with the
    scanner" error.

    I use either the USB cable or the PCM card to transfer images to a
    subdirectory on my hard drive, and I work with the images there, not
    directly in the camera.

    PTRAVEL, Oct 1, 2003
  6. David Ellis

    Kenny Guest

    > I've installed the driver that allows file transfer between computer
    > and camera via Windows Explorer. That works well. I installed WIA
    > Support from the ver. 5.0 Solution Disk.

    Why? I don't know anyone who would want to work this way. The software
    works fine on my two desktops and my tablet notebook with XP-Pro, but I
    would never consider using the WIA driver or any other means of
    transferring direct from the camera anyway. Do what 99% of us do, use a
    card reader. It is more convenient as well as being faster if you get
    either a USB-2 or Firewire reader.

    Sorry, but I think the problem is with your system, not with the WIA
    support.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 1, 2003
  7. David Ellis

    David Ellis Guest

    Thanks very much for all the good advice. I've settled on using the
    USB connection to the camera, Windows Explorer and BreezeBrowser. No
    Canon software other than the driver that enables USB is needed.
    Although I do find the FileUtility 1.2 interesting because of showing
    the camera's choice of focus points.
    --David

    David Ellis, Oct 2, 2003
  8. > Thanks very much for all the good advice. I've settled on using the
    > USB connection to the camera, Windows Explorer and BreezeBrowser. No
    > Canon software other than the driver that enables USB is needed.
    > Although I do find the FileUtility 1.2 interesting because of showing
    > the camera's choice of focus points.

    Interesting but not particularly useful.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 2, 2003
  9. David Ellis

    David Ellis Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 06:42:33 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >> Thanks very much for all the good advice. I've settled on using the
    >> USB connection to the camera, Windows Explorer and BreezeBrowser. No
    >> Canon software other than the driver that enables USB is needed.
    >> Although I do find the FileUtility 1.2 interesting because of showing
    >> the camera's choice of focus points.

    >Interesting but not particularly useful.

    The display of automatically chosen AF points interested me because I
    could see how the camera chooses them under low-light conditions, such
    as when there's bright light in the distance and a dim foreground. In
    this case, the camera chose a rectangle framing the distant object.
    The question is, what is the light level at which the camera will
    violate its own rule: focus on the closest object. FileUtility can
    shed some light on this issue. I must confess to shooting mostly with
    my own choice of AF point.

    Is the AF-point info in EXIF and displayed by any 3rd party software
    you know of? I haven't run across it in BreezeBrowser 2.7c.

    --David

    David Ellis, Oct 3, 2003
  10. You're best off to pick one point and have it use just that one,
    rather than letting the camera decide.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 3, 2003
  11. David Ellis

    Kenny Guest

    > Is the AF-point info in EXIF and displayed by any 3rd party software
    > you know of? I haven't run across it in BreezeBrowser 2.7c.

    Either Shift-Ctl-F or from the View menu in BreezeBrowser.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 3, 2003