    without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.

    Has anyone else heard this?

    Sam Smith, Oct 16, 2003

  2. "Sam Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:yOyjb.83654$gv5.52975@fed1read05...
    > I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    > Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    > which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    > without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    > supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.
    >
    > Has anyone else heard this?

    That's another one of about 100 second-hand rumors from "highly placed
    company contacts" that I've heard about the replacement for the 10D, the
    replacement for the Nikon D100, and the replacement for the Fuji S2 Pro.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Sam Smith

    BG250 Guest

    No, but I wouldn't be surprised. The 1D was priced a bit steep anyway. Three
    years from now there will probably be a sub 11mp for us who just got the
    D-Rebel : )

    I'd say in 5 years the digital cameras will be very close to the price of
    the similar film model and film will begin it's decline from the store
    shelves...

    bg

    BG250, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Sam Smith

    Sam Smith Guest

    Thank you HMc for that waste of good bits, smart ass, totally worthless
    reply...

    Sam Smith, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Sam Smith

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Sam Smith"

    >I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    >Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    >which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    >without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    >supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.
    >
    >Has anyone else heard this?

    In general the rumours of new Canon dSLR's have proven to be false until just a
    few weeks prior to the actual intro. In other words, few have been right
    projecting more than a short time in the future.

    For example for a year now we've heard rumours of a new dSLR based on the EOS-3
    body with (pick one) 6 or 8 or 11 MPixels and never seen one ... yet the models
    they announce always seem to catch people by surprise, like the new cheapie
    model, or bringing out the 10D as a replacement for the D60 at 2/3's the price
    with extra features.

    Next summer is a long time off. It's just a rumour and it's probably wrong
    (but I hope you're right).

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Sam Smith

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Sam Smith wrote:

    > I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    > Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    > which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    > without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    > supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.
    >
    > Has anyone else heard this?

    That sounds a lot like the long rumored EOS 3 digital. If so, I wouldn't
    think it a replacement for the 10D, but more of a step up model.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Sam Smith

    Tom Guest

    "Sam Smith" <> wrote in message
    > That's another one of about 100 second-hand rumors from "highly placed
    > company contacts" that I've heard about the replacement for the 10D, the
    > replacement for the Nikon D100, and the replacement for the Fuji S2 Pro.
    >
    > HMc

    > Thank you HMc for that waste of good bits, smart ass, totally worthless
    > reply...

    Worthless? Maybe to you.

    True? Yes.

    Tom

    Tom, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Sam Smith

    jeff liss Guest

    "Sam Smith" <> wrote in message news:<yOyjb.83654$gv5.52975@fed1read05>...
    > I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    > Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    > which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    > without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    > supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.
    >
    > Has anyone else heard this?

    Two things strike me about the 10D's replacement: It won't be out
    until next summer (long time to wait IMHO) and at $3K, it doesn't seem
    like a replacement but a new camera. That's twice the price for
    today's 10D, not a small difference. It sounds more like a replacement
    for the 1D.
    Jeff

    jeff liss, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Sam Smith

    Mark B. Guest

    "Sam Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you HMc for that waste of good bits, smart ass, totally worthless
    > reply...

    But it's true. Around this time every year, there are dozens of rumors
    floating around from someone "who knows a person who knows a person deep
    within Canon". How is anyone supposed to know what's real and what's not?
    Of COURSE there's going to be a replacement to the 10D eventually. But w/o
    some verifiable facts, it's impossible to sort out what's real.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 16, 2003
  10. Sam Smith

    Mark B. Guest

    "Sam Smith" <> wrote in message
    > I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    > Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    > which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    > without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    > supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.
    >
    > Has anyone else heard this?

    Sounds more like a replacement for the 1D. But see my earlier reply.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 16, 2003
  11. Sam Smith

    This Old Man Guest

    "Sam Smith" <> wrote in message
    > I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    > Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    > which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    > without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    > supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.

    ROTFL! How is can a $3000 camera be a replacement for a $1500 camera?

    This Old Man, Oct 17, 2003
  12. Sam Smith wrote:
    > I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    > Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    > which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    > without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    > supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.
    >
    > Has anyone else heard this?

    Yes, sure, but in two years they will have a camera that takes 3 second
    video clips at a 10MP resolution so that you can go home and select the
    best frame from the 90 or so available. It will be a boon to wedding
    photographers who have problems with blinks and smiles. Also a hi res
    color video viewfinder integrated into your eyeglasses with which you
    can review the clips in the field.

    By this time, all cameras will be Foveon sensors with full color
    resolution. No more flash photography - video lights. Live preview,
    always. Fixed lenses with 20X zooms - no need to change lenses.

    I'll keep you posted.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Oct 17, 2003
  13. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > Sam Smith wrote:
    > > I have a good friend who's a PJ in Japan who said her Canon contacts in
    > > Japan told her confidentially of a 10D replacement sometime next summer,
    > > which should have a full frame 11MP CMOS sensor just like the 1Ds, but
    > > without it's industrial strength body and some of it's features. It's
    > > supposed to go for around $3,000 USD.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else heard this?

    > Yes, sure, but in two years they will have a camera that takes 3 second
    > video clips at a 10MP resolution so that you can go home and select the
    > best frame from the 90 or so available. It will be a boon to wedding
    > photographers who have problems with blinks and smiles. Also a hi res
    > color video viewfinder integrated into your eyeglasses with which you
    > can review the clips in the field.
    >
    > By this time, all cameras will be Foveon sensors with full color
    > resolution. No more flash photography - video lights. Live preview,
    > always. Fixed lenses with 20X zooms - no need to change lenses.
    >
    > I'll keep you posted.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    So, I'm not the only one that's amused by the ongoing,
    uh...fervent...reporting of rumors from a friend of a friend of a friend's
    girlfriend?

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Oct 17, 2003
  14. Sam Smith

    Sam Smith Guest

    Excuse meeeeeeee....... Replace the word "replacement" with "upgrade"

    Sam Smith, Oct 17, 2003
  15. Sam Smith

    Robertwgross Guest

    This Old Man wrote:
    >ROTFL! How is can a $3000 camera be a replacement for a $1500 camera?

    That is why the marketing department people at Canon make the big bucks.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 17, 2003
  16. Howard McCollister wrote:

    > So, I'm not the only one that's amused by the ongoing,
    > uh...fervent...reporting of rumors from a friend of a friend of a friend's
    > girlfriend?

    Well... I....

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Oct 17, 2003
  17. Sam Smith

    MikeWhy Guest

    I'm curious about the perceived need for higher MP for news and magazine
    print reproduction. Nikon seems to have the right idea with the 40 frames /
    5 second burst at 5 or 6 MP. For me, though, the added resolution of 11 MP
    would be welcome. I don't need the sustained burst for what I do. OTOH, just
    a bit more resolution would make framing just a bit less critical and more
    forgiving. But not at that price. They must still be aiming for the studio
    photographers. Assuming that there's something more than wishful thinking
    and wild speculation in that rumor.

    MikeWhy, Oct 17, 2003
  18. Sam Smith

    Sam Smith Guest

    Perhaps it's nothing more than Canon trying to figure out if there's a
    market for a scaled down version of the 1Ds (or a scaled up version of the
    10D)...

    /

    Sam Smith, Oct 17, 2003
  19. Sam Smith

    Mark M Guest

    "Sam Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you HMc for that waste of good bits, smart ass, totally worthless
    > reply...

    You can't fault him for responding in kind...
    :)

    Mark M, Oct 17, 2003
  20. Sam Smith

    Mark M Guest

    > Yes, sure, but in two years they will have a camera that takes 3 second
    > video clips at a 10MP resolution so that you can go home and select the
    > best frame from the 90 or so available. It will be a boon to wedding
    > photographers who have problems with blinks and smiles. Also a hi res
    > color video viewfinder integrated into your eyeglasses with which you
    > can review the clips in the field.
    >
    > By this time, all cameras will be Foveon sensors with full color
    > resolution. No more flash photography - video lights. Live preview,
    > always. Fixed lenses with 20X zooms - no need to change lenses.
    >
    > I'll keep you posted.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    When are they coming out with the personal use flying saucers??

    Mark M, Oct 17, 2003