    regards

    --
    Don From Down Under

    Don, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Don

    Christian Guest

    Don wrote:

    > When using this mode in accordance with the instructions (Yes, I know I am
    > one of those that actually devours the manual) I never seem to get a very
    > high F-stop number that I would assume I would need to get a large depth
    > of
    > field. Any clues?

    The minimum (and maximum) aperture possible depends on the lens you have
    attached. But this is pretty obvious and you really should know this if you
    own a camera like a 10D! You can also increase the DOF by using a wider
    angle lens (i.e., making the subject be smaller in the viewfinder).

    Christian, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Christian

    Yes I aware of the variation in lens focal length etc., the same occurs when
    I attach my 50mm Canon EF1.8, my 20 to 35 Canon EF and my 28 to 300 Tamron.
    Same set up will all 7 focal points registered. Any clues?

    regards

    Don

    Don, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Don

    Christian Guest

    Don wrote:

    > Christian
    >
    > Yes I aware of the variation in lens focal length etc., the same occurs
    > when I attach my 50mm Canon EF1.8, my 20 to 35 Canon EF and my 28 to 300
    > Tamron.
    > Same set up will all 7 focal points registered. Any clues?

    Ummm... what are you talking about? You said you wanted to maximise DOF. So
    set a small aperture (large f/stop number) and make sure the subject isn't
    too large in the viewfinder. If the DOF is still too small then get a point
    and shoot digital camera with a small sensor.

    I don't know why you think the AF focus points have anything to do with the
    DOF. (They don't really except for the issue relating to the size of the
    subject.) But if you want to select the desired focus point manually then
    go read the manual on how to do this.

    Christian, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Don

    Mark M Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > When using this mode in accordance with the instructions (Yes, I know I am
    > one of those that actually devours the manual) I never seem to get a very
    > high F-stop number that I would assume I would need to get a large depth

    of
    > field. Any clues?

    That will depend on several things including how close you are to your
    subject, and the focal length you're shooting at. More distant subjects
    don't require nearly as small an aperture. If you're shooting close-ups,
    though, you'll need tiny apertures to get even a few millimeters of depth in
    focus sometimes (at high magnification).

    Mark M, Feb 12, 2004